NHL Around the NHL 2018 - 2019 X - Hockey Hall of Famer Red Kelly passes away at age 91

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
so the uproar today is over the draft lottery... brian burke just went on a segment talking about how its unfair that the worst teams dont get the top picks

but why?

why is there so much need for the reverse draft? why is parity such an all powerful god to serve?

in theory I can understand why you dont want any markets that suck so bad they become blackholes and unviable... but isnt that what the cap is for? doesnt the cap end up creating equality?

theres usually only a maximum of 3 special players in any given draft class. why are we putting these people in sewer markets on fail teams? does that actually promote the game to the best potential?

I say no

my solution... have all 31 teams in the draft for the top 3 picks. only make it for round 1. let the other rounds be a reversal. let the sucky teams still draft 4-5-6-7... they wont fall that far

but give every team a shot at the real franchise altering talents. give the talents the chance to end up in new York or Toronto or Chicago or la or boston

grow the game by maximizing the benefit of connor McDavid and Austin Matthews and Crosby and ovechkin

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
so the uproar today is over the draft lottery... brian burke just went on a segment talking about how its unfair that the worst teams dont get the top picks

but why?

why is there so much need for the reverse draft? why is parity such an all powerful god to serve?

in theory I can understand why you dont want any markets that suck so bad they become blackholes and unviable... but isnt that what the cap is for? doesnt the cap end up creating equality?

theres usually only a maximum of 3 special players in any given draft class. why are we putting these people in sewer markets on fail teams? does that actually promote the game to the best potential?

I say no

my solution... have all 31 teams in the draft for the top 3 picks. only make it for round 1. let the other rounds be a reversal. let the sucky teams still draft 4-5-6-7... they wont fall that far

but give every team a shot at the real franchise altering talents. give the talents the chance to end up in new York or Toronto or Chicago or la or boston

grow the game by maximizing the benefit of connor McDavid and Austin Matthews and Crosby and ovechkin

you answered your own question.

because those few special players are usually enough to make franchises good again, increasing fan support and tickets, money, etc.

Matthews has helped turn Toronto from a joke to a Top 5 team
Crosby immediately made Pittsburgh a Cup winner
Ovechkin made Washington a perennial contender for a decade and counting.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

because those few special players are usually enough to make franchises good again, increasing fan support and tickets, money, etc.

Matthews isn't even the best player on his team. That would be Marner. Mathews mentioned in the same name as the other two is Leafs fans level delusional. Have him actually show up in the playoffs before declaring him generational.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
well, except for the fact that because of the lottery more top end players got stuck with Edmonton than if they just did reverse standings.

Using reverse standings, Edmonton gets 2 1st overalls only...the lottery gave them 2 they didnt "deserve"...including McDavid

The lottery is an unnecessary solution looking for a problem. It didnt get rid of tanking. All it does is make teams tank for more ping pong balls instead of draft position.

The NFL, where #1 overall is far more valuable and has far more impact, has no problem doing reverse standings even with a schedule far more unbalanced than what the NHL plays
Well, that's why I would lock teams out for a few seasons of they win the lottery. I think it will actually help those teams so they don't reach based on need for Pujarvi's, etc.

Carolina sent years without the top pick, just being mediocre enough to miss. They could use a top pick, and if they still suck, a few years later be in line for another one on ELC while the first if getting paid.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

in those cases we got lucky... the markets were good markets that were able to capitalize on the star player

how much good is McDavid doing in edmonto compared to ny?
how much good is dahleen in buffalo instead of Chicago or LA?

teams can get competitive without a top 3 picks... boston does just fine without one. you dont need one to be competitive.

as good as pastrnak is though how much can he sell the nhl? hockey competes with all the other sports for front page coverage in ny and LA and on the national sports scene. if someone is a star in NY or LA it matters better than being a star in Carolina or Minnesota

im not even saying rig it so that Crosby goes to Pittsburgh or so Matthews goes to Toronto... let it be a fair draft but at least allow the possibility the best markets can get the best players

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Matthews isn't even the best player on his team. That would be Marner. Mathews mentioned in the same name as the other two is Leafs fans level delusional. Have him actually show up in the playoffs before declaring him generational.

In his first playoff year against the Caps he put 4 past Braden Holtby in 6 games, including the goal that pushed the Caps to OT in Game 6. I'd call that showing up.

That guy we saw last year vs. Boston was clearly IMO less than 100%. I expect a better Matthews vs. Boston this year, especially if Bergeron's line ends up seeing more of the Marner/JT line.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
In his first playoff year against the Caps he put 4 past Braden Holtby in 6 games, including the goal that pushed the Caps to OT in Game 6. I'd call that showing up.

That guy we saw last year vs. Boston was clearly IMO less than 100%. I expect a better Matthews vs. Boston this year, especially if Bergeron's line ends up seeing more of the Marner/JT line.

We shall see.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Matthews missed a month in between games (from Feb 22-March 22), and then played 9 games before the playoffs. In those 9 games leading up to the playoffs, he tore it up and had 6g/7a.

Then he puts up 1g/1a in 7 playoff games vs the B's and it was because he was "clearly less than 1oo%"??

Reactions: jgatie and Grimey

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
People really don't like the lottery? I think it's great. Instead of new top end players potentially being stuck with struggling franchises (cough, Edmonton, cough), they can go to other teams and spread the talent around. Sometimes being an almost playoff team is worse than tanking for a few years.

Plus, I think it can be better for Edmonton and Buffalo, etc. to not have the top picks every year, especially with the new RFA contracts for these guys, neither or those examples can build a middle six. Having less pressure prospects with less contract demands can help lift them up than trying to balance 4-5 top pick forwards blowing up their cap.

I would even go further than they have. If your teams gets the top pick, then you can't win the lottery for 3 years after. 2nd pick? 2 years lottery ban. 3rd pick? One year. Spread the talent around the league.
personally I've always had dislike for a system that essentially rewarded a team for sucking. I'm ok with this new set up. I like that the Hughes kid is likely to go to a market I'll get to watch him play in.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Matthews missed a month in between games (from Feb 22-March 22), and then played 9 games before the playoffs. In those 9 games leading up to the playoffs, he tore it up and had 6g/7a.

Then he puts up 1g/1a in 7 playoff games vs the B's and it was because he was "clearly less than 1oo%"??

I see more of Toronto than I would like living where I do. For, after his injury in November of that year, he wasn't the same player to these eyes. Not claiming it was the only factor, but I have no doubt it was a factor. He's had back injuries going back to before he was drafted. A bad back playing hockey impacts your entire game, especially that first couple strides. But it's also an injury you can manage and play through. He never had that jump in his step after he went down Nov. 2017 form the multitude of Leaf games I unfortunately witnessed. Just my opinion based on what I saw. What was more telling for me in last year's series was how often I didn't notice him out there at all, which was more telling for me than his lack of points.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Playoff Bob is full form.

Columbus should be thrilled he is leaving. Whoever pays him will regret it.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
No help for Bob there. Can't let people deflect the puck free. Cirelli unchecked on his goal.

The whole team has just been awful.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia

Sure......but look at Edmonton.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I see more of Toronto than I would like living where I do. For, after his injury in November of that year, he wasn't the same player to these eyes. Not claiming it was the only factor, but I have no doubt it was a factor. He's had back injuries going back to before he was drafted. A bad back playing hockey impacts your entire game, especially that first couple strides. But it's also an injury you can manage and play through. He never had that jump in his step after he went down Nov. 2017 form the multitude of Leaf games I unfortunately witnessed. Just my opinion based on what I saw. What was more telling for me in last year's series was how often I didn't notice him out there at all, which was more telling for me than his lack of points.
Well then, he's a generational talent with a bad back, that is stopping from being a generational talent,
I'm not confident he won't be a factor this time, but it's Marner that causes me fits during the game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well then, he's a generational talent with a bad back, that is stopping from being a generational talent,
I'm not confident he won't be a factor this time, but it's Marner that causes me fits during the game.

Where did I say he was a generational talent? Just that I think there were factors for his lack of impact last year and he had a pretty good playoff the year before.

And I agree on Marner, he's the straw that stirs the drink for the Leafs offensively, he's the most dangerous Leaf forward as far as producing offensive chances.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Where did I say he was a generational talent? Just that I think there were factors for his lack of impact last year and he had a pretty good playoff the year before.

And I agree on Marner, he's the straw that stirs the drink for the Leafs offensively, he's the most dangerous Leaf forward as far as producing offensive chances.
Just quoting the quote (post 632) I thought you were disagreeing with, my bad.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just quoting the quote I thought you were disagreeing with, my bad.

No worries, just looking back at the previous posts on this topic I can see where you got that impression. I was mostly trying to point out that I expect him to be much better in this year's playoff than last year for a variety of reasons.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I said shut up Pierre when he was talking about Columbus needing to get the next goal and my husband thought it was hilarious for some reason.

Do normal people not utter that phrase?

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
No worries, just looking back at the previous posts on this topic I can see where you got that impression. I was mostly trying to point out that I expect him to be much better in this year's playoff than last year for a variety of reasons.
I agree, and even I take it for granted that we haven't seen his real talent. The guy just gives me a Kessel vibe...boat loads of talent...and yet it feels like he easily gives up if it takes effort.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad