NHL Around the NHL 2018 - 2019 X - Hockey Hall of Famer Red Kelly passes away at age 91

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
5260001_041919-wpvi-smith-statue-COVERED-cropped-img.jpg

Flyers remove Kate Smith statue, won't play her recording of 'God Bless America' amid racism allegation

The Flyers have enjoyed a long and popular relationship with "God Bless America," as performed by the late Kate Smith, a woman who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Honor for her patriotic contributions to our nation.

But in recent days, we learned that several of the songs Kate Smith performed in the 1930s include lyrics and sentiments that are incompatible with the values of our organization, and evoke painful and unacceptable themes.

"The NHL principle 'Hockey is for Everyone' is at the heart of everything the Flyers stand for," said Flyers President Paul Holmgren. "As a result, we cannot stand idle while material from another era gets in the way of who we are today."

While Kate Smith's performance of "God Bless America" cannot be erased from its place in Flyers history, that rendition will no longer be featured in our game presentations. And to ensure the sentiments stirred this week are no longer echoed, earlier today we completed the removal of the Kate Smith statue from its former location outside of our arena.

Reactions: dabid

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Sharks player gets a stick in his skate and goes down. Ref just blows the play dead no penalty. The NBC guys are saying they like the call, but I think it’s total BS. Gave Vegas an offensive zone start for what should clearly be a trip.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sharks player gets a stick in his skate and goes down. Ref just blows the play dead no penalty. The NBC guys are saying they like the call, but I think it’s total BS. Gave Vegas an offensive zone start for what should clearly be a trip.

Thought the same.

I mean if you get your stick stuck in the carrier on the boot of a guy’s skate, that’s a trip.

Serious question. If a player lifts an opponent’s stick into his face, essentially high-sticking him with his own stick, is that a penalty?

Wow! Jones is really redeeming himself tonight in goal for the Sharks.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Thought the same.

I mean if you get your stick stuck in the carrier on the boot of a guy’s skate, that’s a trip.

Serious question. If a player lifts an opponent’s stick into his face, essentially high-sticking him with his own stick, is that a penalty?

Wow! Jones is really redeeming himself tonight in goal for the Sharks.

I don’t believe it’s a high stick unless you (the stick lifter) actually make contact with the opponent. Now whether it’s actually called like that is probably a whole thread worth of back and forth.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Considering he was destine to be a Ranger, Wadell did pretty good.
Conditions are if he plays 30 games next year it becomes another 2 in 2020

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
“It’s definitely something that potentially could happen… it’s still a place I’d love to come home to, it’s a place I love to visit. I think the Canucks right now are a very exciting team. I love what Jim (Benning)’s done as far as building a team within through the draft and developing players.”

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
“It’s definitely something that potentially could happen… it’s still a place I’d love to come home to, it’s a place I love to visit. I think the Canucks right now are a very exciting team. I love what Jim (Benning)’s done as far as building a team within through the draft and developing players.”

He should pay Vancouver to play

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He should pay Vancouver to play
I'd take him, at a discount of course, but id love to see him in a Bruin uniform against the CBJ's.

I think Looch isn't very happy at all in Edmonton and his play is affected by it. Sure he's not the looch he once was, but he's not as bad as few seem to perceive him to be either.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Phenomenal

How did Kitty not get that

I’m surprised no one recognized him. The show was in NY and Kelly was a star for the Red Wings & Leafs and has a distinct look

$250 and a carton of Salem cigarettes to each for coming on - I’d say the world has changed a bit in 53 years

@DKH

Not knowing Red Kelly is one thing....but these 2????

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Red Kelly was one of my favorite players as a kid. That Detroit group (Kelly, Howe, Delvecchio, Lindsay, etc.) got me interested in playing hockey and I'm most grateful to them. Playing the sport as a youngster and enjoying a lifelong interest as a fan has been really fun. Best sport in the world for me.

RIP Red.

Reactions: DKH and Dreghorn2

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Red Kelly was one of my favorite players as a kid. That Detroit group (Kelly, Howe, Delvecchio, Lindsay, etc.) got me interested in playing hockey and I'm most grateful to them. Playing the sport as a youngster and enjoying a lifelong interest as a fan has been really fun. Best sport in the world for me.

RIP Red.

Kelly was on 8 Stanley Cup winners in the 50's and 60's. And he never played for Montreal.

That's incredible.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I thought that this was interesting (on the Trade Rumors board):

Would Boston attempt to offer sheet anyone? How about Kapanen on the Leafs, at the cost of a second-round pick? Having him, Pastrnak and, eventually, Senyshyn on the RW would be great. I'd love to see the Bruins go after Marner with an offer sheet, understanding that it would probably never happen (Boston wouldn't do it or Marner wouldn't sign). Still, what a blow to a division rival it would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad