NHL Around the NHL 2018 - 2019 X - Hockey Hall of Famer Red Kelly passes away at age 91

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If the NHL was rigging these things, I don't see why they'd let Edmonton get all those picks that they did (especially McDavid). Also there's no way they'd let Matthews go to Toronto over Arizona. Also I don't see why they'd choose to rig it in favor of massive money makers (NYR and Chicago) over struggling teams like Arizona or Florida.

Just doesn't seem logical to me :dunno:

edit- I also find it incredibly hard to believe Ernst & Young would risk their reputation on helping the NHL like that

This. The NHL might want to do shady things but no way does a firm like Ernst & Young participate- being involved in anything shady would destroy the company.

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don’t think the NHL “rigged” anything with Vegas...they just completely gave them way too many advantages in the Expansion Draft Process, and it shows.

It’s not over either. The fact that they are exempt from the Seattle Expansion Draft is a ****ing joke.

Oh please. The vast majority called Vegas a bottom 5 team.

Also according to other owners, the 8th best forward/4th best D is worth 20 million.

So for them that would mostly be Eakin or Haula.

Other GMs didn’t know how to react to the rules and overpaid.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Oh please. The vast majority called Vegas a bottom 5 team.

Also according to other owners, the 8th best forward/4th best D is worth 20 million.

So for them that would mostly be Eakin or Haula.

Other GMs didn’t know how to react to the rules and overpaid.

Spoken like a Vegas resident :laugh:

You mean the rules that had never been used before? I give McPhee credit for taking advantage, up to a point.

Now that things have gone so swimmingly for them, why are they exempt from the Seattle Draft.?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

You mean the rules that had never been used before? I give McPhee credit for taking advantage, up to a point.

Now that things have gone so swimmingly for them, why are they exempt from the Seattle Draft.?

Because they get no money from it. That was agreed upon at the time of entry.

So these so favorable rules. Did they make Tallon give away Smith and Marchessault and keep Pretrovic and Bjugstad?

How about Minnesota choosing Brodin over Haula and Tuch.

Columbus couldn't see Karlsson was a #1b C on a team desperately needing centers.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

A $500 million franchise fee.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's actually a $650 million one that they are not getting a cut of.

I was talking Vegas's fee, not Seattles. But your right, Vegas gets no cut of the $650 million Seattle will pay, no cut of the fee, so no exposure to the expansion draft. Seems fair to me actually.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Because they get no money from it. That was agreed upon at the time of entry.

So these so favorable rules. Did they make Tallon give away Smith and Marchessault and keep Pretrovic and Bjugstad?

How about Minnesota choosing Brodin over Haula and Tuch.

Columbus couldn't see Karlsson was a #1b C on a team desperately needing centers.

It was a shrewd move by Foley to negotiate Vegas being exempt from a potential expansion draft. He knew that 31 teams would not be the standard for long. What’s $20m when you just paid $500m for the team and that extra provides insurance. I suppose you are right on this, as few thought Vegas would be this good this quick.

I have nothing against Vegas in this. I blame the NHL for overcompensating. McPhee played the expansion game better than most of the other GM’s. The Panthers should have fired Tallon before Boughner and the Wild did fire their GM :laugh:

Karlsson was already on his 2nd team (drafted by ANA), so I don’t really blame Columbus for this one.

I was hoping after seeing how well Vegas has done out of the gate, the NHL might alter the rules some, but they didn’t. I can only hope that the rest of the GM’s in the NHL are better prepared this time around.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all and it was just luck but man Chicago getting a top 3 pick just kind of figures. Fortunately with this draft there is a clear top 2 players so it's not as huge a win but still. Lucky lucky team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Well I guess the Kings are going to stink for awhile.

Funny fact, it was McLennan's own Sharks who blew a 3-0 series lead vs. the Kings in 2014. Has a franchise ever hired a coach that they themselves defeated in a playoff series with a 3-0 comeback?

Reactions: TCB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all and it was just luck but man Chicago getting a top 3 pick just kind of figures. Fortunately with this draft there is a clear top 2 players so it's not as huge a win but still. Lucky lucky team.
The Rangers were the big big winners

Reactions: Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IDK, if I'm a business person I don't see 20 million as a good investment to prevent losing a player somewhere from the middle of my roster.

You are thinking too small.

Vegas doesn’t have to do any prep whatsoever for the Expansion Draft. No meetings, no man hours on the countless prep stuff, no wasted time, scouting and other resources that the 30 other teams have to deal with.

It’s a lot more than just a middle of the roster player.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Vegas doesn’t have to do any prep whatsoever for the Expansion Draft. No meetings, no man hours on the countless prep stuff, no wasted time, scouting and other resources that the 30 other teams have to deal with.

There is an additional cost involved to prep for the expansion draft, I agree. No idea if its 20 million worth of additional cost though. A lot of that stuff is being done anyway in terms of scouting. They'll have additional meetings to decide upon who to expose like you said.

Guess it depends on what that additional cost is vs. the expansion fee payment there are foregoing.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
People really don't like the lottery? I think it's great. Instead of new top end players potentially being stuck with struggling franchises (cough, Edmonton, cough), they can go to other teams and spread the talent around. Sometimes being an almost playoff team is worse than tanking for a few years.

Plus, I think it can be better for Edmonton and Buffalo, etc. to not have the top picks every year, especially with the new RFA contracts for these guys, neither or those examples can build a middle six. Having less pressure prospects with less contract demands can help lift them up than trying to balance 4-5 top pick forwards blowing up their cap.

I would even go further than they have. If your teams gets the top pick, then you can't win the lottery for 3 years after. 2nd pick? 2 years lottery ban. 3rd pick? One year. Spread the talent around the league.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That is going to be a quick rebuild too . The Rangers are loaded with talent in their system .
Agree

They should have
Cap space
Legit first line
Lot of prospects

Adam Fox should be very interested

I don’t blame him

Reactions: Zillah

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Disagree with this a bit.

Other teams may want to deal with Vegas as opposed to losing a player to Seattle in the expansion draft. Especially Eastern Conference teams.

GMGM's phone will be busy.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
People really don't like the lottery? I think it's great. Instead of new top end players potentially being stuck with struggling franchises (cough, Edmonton, cough), they can go to other teams and spread the talent around. Sometimes being an almost playoff team is worse than tanking for a few years.

Plus, I think it can be better for Edmonton and Buffalo, etc. to not have the top picks every year, especially with the new RFA contracts for these guys, neither or those examples can build a middle six. Having less pressure prospects with less contract demands can help lift them up than trying to balance 4-5 top pick forwards blowing up their cap.

I would even go further than they have. If your teams gets the top pick, then you can't win the lottery for 3 years after. 2nd pick? 2 years lottery ban. 3rd pick? One year. Spread the talent around the league.

well, except for the fact that because of the lottery more top end players got stuck with Edmonton than if they just did reverse standings.

Using reverse standings, Edmonton gets 2 1st overalls only...the lottery gave them 2 they didnt "deserve"...including McDavid

The lottery is an unnecessary solution looking for a problem. It didnt get rid of tanking. All it does is make teams tank for more ping pong balls instead of draft position.

The NFL, where #1 overall is far more valuable and has far more impact, has no problem doing reverse standings even with a schedule far more unbalanced than what the NHL plays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad