Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 3) Regular Season Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The Leafs are a scoring machine--but so far have played teams that were non playoff teams last year--in some cases disasters. In a long season goaltending and defence need to come up bigger for Leafs if they want to move on in post season play.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This was kind of interesting:

Sizing up the NHL: 2018-19 NHL teams by age, height and...

For the Sabres, they fall into the following:

Sixth youngest team in the league - average age 26.0. Youngest is Edmonton (25.5), oldest is Minnesota (28.9), league average 27.1.

Sabres are literally the league average in average height - 73.2 inches. Shortest is Montreal (71.9), tallest is Winnipeg (74.4).

Sabres are a little lighter than the average weight - 198.7 pounds. Heaviest is NYI (208.7), lightest is again Montreal (189.5!), league average 199.3.

Sabres have the HIGHEST drafted players in their lineup - an average draft position of 26.1. That includes the following seven top eight picks: Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Okposo, Mittelstadt and Ristolainen. The list excluded undrafted players. Vancouver was second at 33.4, SJ was the lowest at 82.6, and the league average was 58.

It's pretty good article. It then breaks down the nationalities of all the players. It only includes who has played through the first week of the season.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This was kind of interesting:

Sizing up the NHL: 2018-19 NHL teams by age, height and...

For the Sabres, they fall into the following:

Sixth youngest team in the league - average age 26.0. Youngest is Edmonton (25.5), oldest is Minnesota (28.9), league average 27.1.

Sabres are literally the league average in average height - 73.2 inches. Shortest is Montreal (71.9), tallest is Winnipeg (74.4).

Sabres are a little lighter than the average weight - 198.7 pounds. Heaviest is NYI (208.7), lightest is again Montreal (189.5!), league average 199.3.

Sabres have the HIGHEST drafted players in their lineup - an average draft position of 26.1. That includes the following seven top eight picks: Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Okposo, Mittelstadt and Ristolainen. The list excluded undrafted players. Vancouver was second at 33.4, SJ was the lowest at 82.6, and the league average was 58.

It's pretty good article. It then breaks down the nationalities of all the players. It only includes who has played through the first week of the season.

Cut Berglund, Sobotka and Hutton so we can be the youngest!!!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Matthews seems to have some sort of cocky attitude this season.
He elevated to another gear this season, he now carries the puck in like Eichel, the differences between the two we're how Eichel can carry play. You can see Matthews now absolutely dominating doing the same thing, his big body allows him to just rub off defenders.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Who knows with Phil Housley as coach...I am pretty sure I had Heiskanen 2nd in that draft class, he's an unreal talent and probably a future franchise D in his own right. I don't think he has near the defensive chops and physicality that Dahlin will have in the future.
He showed no physcality in the games Ive seen of him, he never showed any silky mitts moves or dekes, his strength is his north and south speed. He can get back so fast to defend and he uses his speed to get around the D to fire a shot or pass but his shot isn't very lethal.

I don't think he will be compared to Dahlin in the future other than they are both #1 D

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
everyone talked about Makar being so dynamic in that class, but i've also been significantly more impressed by Heiskanen. He's going to be one of the better offensive defenceman in the league by christmas.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Just think the Flyers won a lottery and took Nolan Patrick over the likes of Elias Peterson and Miro Heiskanen.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Athletic has a really good article on the gritty art of the forecheck.

Worth the read if you have ever questioned the benefits of a guy like Girgs on a top 6 line.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Who does Nick Ritchie think he is? Go play hockey, you haven’t proven a thing. Barely even deserve a one way contract.

Watching Arizona. Dylan Strome looks fantastic, Arizona might finally have something there.

EDIT: Dylan Strome has arrived...I’ve never seen him drive the play this much, even in junior really...

Last edited:

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I get that there could be $10-20 million at stake with the Nylander contract and that's why he's unsigned, but the Ritchie contract situation just confuses the hell out of me.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Someone want to explain why the Tampa Bay Lightning have only played 1 NHL game thus far when most teams are going on their 4th or 5th.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Someone want to explain why the Tampa Bay Lightning have only played 1 NHL game thus far when most teams are going on their 4th or 5th.
Scheduling is kind of all over the place, Florida has only played one game thusfar as well, as has New Jersey and Edmonton. It will all shake out, I’m sure having Jersey and Edmonton overseas to start the year throws a wrench in things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad