Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 3) Regular Season Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
William Nylander looking pretty stupid about now. Hopefully it's not in the genes.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Dallas’ lack of any kind of threat aside from the top line of Benn-Seguin-Radulov line is making things easier for Toronto.

That being said, the Leafs with those two top lines are going to be hard to slow down. And you definitely need to stay out of the box.

Matthews will score 50 this season without a doubt, as much as that pains me to say.

Well, for this season only, you can take solace in the fact that the better he plays, the higher his pay-day will be.

This is the one season where I won’t mind, or I should say I will mind less, if Matthews and Marner both go on a tear.

With JT already at $11M, Matthews at (roughly) $12M and Marner at $10M would be great!
It would sure make it tough for them to sign/keep other good players in the future...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Well, for this season only, you can take solace in the fact that the better he plays, the higher his pay-day will be.

This is the one season where I won’t mind, or I should say I will mind less, if Matthews and Marner both go on a tear.

With JT already at $11M, Matthews at (roughly) $12M and Marner at $10M would be great!
It would sure make it tough for them to sign/keep other good players in the future...

If Matthews wins the art ross he is getting 13-14 million. Marner will likely get around 10 if he puts up 90-100 pts.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Matthews wins the art ross he is getting 13-14 million. Marner will likely get around 10 if he puts up 90-100 pts.

Kuch got 9.5 when he scored 100, and was closer to UFA. Don't think he'll become the 2nd highest paid winger coming off his ELC.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Kuch got 9.5 when he scored 100, and was closer to UFA. Don't think he'll become the 2nd highest paid winger coming off his ELC.

Tampa players take discounts due to low taxes in Florida. Matthews will have a 40 goal rookie season calder, possibly an art ross/rocket.(Drafted #1) He will easily get at least 12 million.

Reactions: sabremike

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Tampa players take discounts due to low taxes in Florida. Matthews will have a 40 goal rookie season calder, possibly an art ross/rocket.(Drafted #1) He will easily get at least 12 million.
He said winger, so he was talking about Marner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No matter what happens with Nylander, if Matthews and Marner both finish in the top 5 to 10 in the league in scoring this year, they are going to want to get PAID.

And it is crazy that Tavares is second in the league in goals and 4th on the Leafs in points.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
No matter what happens with Nylander, if Matthews and Marner both finish in the top 5 to 10 in the league in scoring this year, they are going to want to get PAID.

And it is crazy that Tavares is second in the league in goals and 4th on the Leafs in points.
Yep. Enjoy it while it lasts.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

You also have to wonder when the Leafs might get concerned about their defense.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I can't begin to describe how annoying it is to me that the Leafs have not just a good team, but possibly a great team. And how much I want it all to fall apart. :laugh:

I'm skeptical this pace is sustainable. The NHL is a chess match and the Leafs have OK goal-tending and a very suspect defense. They have dynamite forwards and an hot PP. 30 teams will be watching film on them and start to copy one another success and avoid failures.

This is the NHL not the NBA. Too much parity in this league. That's why I say enjoy it while it lasts... either they will be victims of their success (can't hold on to all that talent), or they will regress to the mean, because they have weaknesses and it is still the NHL.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'm skeptical this pace is sustainable. The NHL is a chess match and the Leafs have OK goal-tending and a very suspect defense. They have dynamite forwards and an hot PP. 30 teams will be watching film on them and start to copy one another success and avoid failures.

This is the NHL not the NBA. Too much parity in this league. That's why I say enjoy it while it lasts... either they will be victims of their success (can't hold on to all that talent), or they will regress to the mean, because they have weaknesses and it is still the NHL.
They strike me as very similar to the 06-07 Sabres. Great offense, run-and-gun style, and may win the President's Trophy, but will have trouble with physical and sound defensive teams in the playoffs. Time will tell.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

Agreed. They started similarly last year. However, they look absolutely beastly, especially Matthews. It's his team, and I think adding Tavares motivated him even more.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Looking at Leafs start and all contract situations. Do they even want to sign Nylander?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Agreed. They started similarly last year. However, they look absolutely beastly, especially Matthews. It's his team, and I think adding Tavares motivated him even more.
For some reason, I have no issue routing for Matthews. He's very likeable. I hope he scores 150 goals this season.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Matthews seems to have some sort of cocky attitude this season.

He is the type of guy who wants to be the best, he's going to be the highest paid player in the NHL IMO. He isn't taking a cent less then he's worth. I am surprised Toronto didn't try hard to get him locked up this summer for something like 8 years $90 million.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
These next few months is the last time Dahlin vs Heiskanen is going to be a discussion so the Finns have to cling onto it.

Who knows with Phil Housley as coach...I am pretty sure I had Heiskanen 2nd in that draft class, he's an unreal talent and probably a future franchise D in his own right. I don't think he has near the defensive chops and physicality that Dahlin will have in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad