Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I have heard Hughes was the guy there if Zadina didn't fall. That Bouchard feel down our board the same way he fell in the draft.

Art Regner and some of the people positioning it that way have an old board. It doesn't matter now in any event. We just need to hope the pivot to Zadina was correct.

I think Zadina has had a really nice development year. I like a lot of the steps he has taken. Big summer for him, but I anticipate him being in Detroit for the whole year next year.

I love Zadina and was ecstatic when we drafted him. That said he has had a pretty bad year. Let’s be honest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I love Zadina and was ecstatic when we drafted him. That said he has had a pretty bad year. Let’s be honest.

I think he has been fine, it is hard to be a 19 year old in these leagues, I think he has made solid gains. I am a lot happier with him now than I was on draft night. I think people oversold how ready he was, but I see a lot of the talent I was worried about in terms of he is starting to evade pressure in similar ways that he did in junior and I wasn't sure he would speed that up correctly. He looks like a piece of the puzzle, we are devoid of enough talent that I am happy to see his promising offensive gifts. With a little more strength and skating he could be a real difference maker here. We have a worse defense but we need a lot of things, if Zadina turns into an elite winger I am all for it.

Reactions: NickH8 and Winger98

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think he has been fine, it is hard to be a 19 year old in these leagues, I think he has made solid gains. I am a lot happier with him now than I was on draft night. I think people oversold how ready he was, but I see a lot of the talent I was worried about in terms of he is starting to evade pressure in similar ways that he did in junior and I wasn't sure he would speed that up correctly. He looks like a piece of the puzzle, we are devoid of enough talent that I am happy to see his promising offensive gifts. With a little more strength and skating he could be a real difference maker here. We have a worse defense but we need a lot of things, if Zadina turns into an elite winger I am all for it.
I agree he has a ton of potential.

How can you be more excited now then on draft night? Zadina tore up juniors. When he fell to 6 everyone and their dog was smiling. Since then he has been “meh”
He also has a late birthday and was a couple months short of being in the 2017 draft.

Don’t get me wrong I’m pumped for Zadina. Love the player. I hope we get a Kucherov type talent down the road. That said watching Quinn Hughes was a thing of beauty. We struck out on that one.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I have heard Hughes was the guy there if Zadina didn't fall. That Bouchard fell down our board the same way he fell in the draft.

Art Regner and some of the people positioning it that way have an old board. It doesn't matter now in any event. We just need to hope the pivot to Zadina was correct.

I think Zadina has had a really nice development year. I like a lot of the steps he has taken. Big summer for him, but I anticipate him being in Detroit for the whole year next year.

Rumors were Bouchard was the guy Tyler Wright wanted.

Blash was pushing hard for Quinn.

No one expected Zadina to fall to 6 and they all felt like kids in the candy store.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rumors were Bouchard was the guy Tyler Wright wanted.

Blash was pushing hard for Quinn.

No one expected Zadina to fall to 6 and they all felt like kids in the candy store.

What I have heard is Blashill and Larkin had turned that corner in terms of which guy was going first. By the way Kane was lobbying hard in Chicago from what I am told as well in terms of Quinn. Just interesting stuff. I think Bouchard was also liked by Draper, I was high on Bouchard initially but he tumbled down my board, Podkolzin is having a similar fate this year in terms of I like the player but he always leaves me wanting more. Not exactly lets pick this kid.

Zadina was higher on our board and they were really happy to find #3 on their board. If either Tkachuk or Zadina fell that was going to be the selection.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What I have heard is Blashill and Larkin had turned that corner in terms of which guy was going first. By the way Kane was lobbying hard in Chicago from what I am told as well in terms of Quinn. Just interesting stuff. I think Bouchard was also liked by Draper, I was high on Bouchard initially but he tumbled down my board, Podkolzin is having a similar fate this year in terms of I like the player but he always leaves me wanting more. Not exactly lets pick this kid.

Zadina was higher on our board and they were really happy to find #3 on their board. If either Tkachuk or Zadina fell that was going to be the selection.

Can’t disagree with what your saying.

I just wish we would have selected Quinn Hughes.....

That said I would have also selected Zadina. He was 4th on my list

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I agree he has a ton of potential.

How can you be more excited now then on draft night? Zadina tore up juniors. When he fell to 6 everyone and their dog was smiling. Since then he has been “meh”
He also has a late birthday and was a couple months short of being in the 2017 draft.

Don’t get me wrong I’m pumped for Zadina. Love the player. I hope we get a Kucherov type talent down the road. That said watching Quinn Hughes was a thing of beauty. We struck out on that one.

not to speak for The Z'era but I think it comes down to how you view the talent level of juniors vs the AHL/NHL, and how that effects later development.

I have no doubt had he gone back to juniors he would be leading the league in points, and looking totally dominant. (potentially even having a better world juniors since he would still be using habits that are used at that age level) We as a group here would probably be highfiving each other about our first round.

Instead he was pushed up an age group. having to adapt his playing style to a pro style (a change he was always going to have to make, and was always going to slow his point production, and hype) and develop much better habits. over the course of the year he's shown a lot of development. I watched games in November where he was just out there, not really making a difference, and I've watched games more recently now where even when he's not on the scoresheet he looks dangerous, and like a player other teams have to game-plan for.

lastly we've seen him show flash's of looking really good in the show this year. and by the end of that run I would have kept him up if not for the sliding contract year.

I myself am not more excited for him now, however, I'm not less excited either. I just see it as a year focused on development rather than hype. If he doesn't take the next step in 19-20 however, I will start to be less excited, bordering on disappointed.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Steer it to he's already Bobby Orr, it's okay, everyone else is. Can't believe the Wings passed on him, after one game. Looked pretty, pretty, pretttttyyyyy good though.

He's completely whiffed on a one-timer and had a horrible turnover so far tonight. Largely unnoticable. Or he's Bobby Orr, whatever people want. Time will tell.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Steer it to he's already Bobby Orr, it's okay, everyone else is. Can't believe the Wings passed on him, after one game. Looked pretty, pretty, pretttttyyyyy good though.

He's completely whiffed on a one-timer and had a horrible turnover so far tonight. Largely unnoticable. Or he's Bobby Orr, whatever people want. Time will tell.
I did not say he was Bobby Orr. There's a couple of directions I thought this might go into, but that's not one. I thought his size might come up for sure.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Two shifts for Quinn Hughes in the third period, five minutes to go.
HAHA! Are you THAT hurt that he had a really nice debut that you are sitting up like a vulture now and waiting for him to mess up? That's about as bad as the people calling him Bobby Orr after one game.

I gave some people on here way too much credit. I seriously thought people could yeah! go he looks good!

He's had an decent game tonight, by the way.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
HAHA! Are you THAT hurt that he had an really nice debut that you are sitting up like a vulture and waiting for him to mess up? That's about as bad as the people calling him Bobby Orr after one game.

I gave some people on here way too much credit. I seriously thought people could go he looks good!

He's had an decent game tonight, by the way.
Nah, just pointing out he only had three shifts in the third. He's played okay, made quite a few mistakes Schenn had to bail him out for but that's expected, he's a fourth forward.

So wow, he looked good in his debut, looked like a run of the mill defenseman this game. It's almost as if people should reserve judgement.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Nah, just pointing out he only had three shifts in the third. He's played okay, made quite a few mistakes Schenn had to bail him out for but that's expected, he's a fourth forward.

So wow, he looked good in his debut, looked like a run of the mill defenseman this game. It's almost as if people should reserve judgement.
Okay. From now on, if a rookie prospect has a great debut, we'll wait a few games for your approval before we say so. That seems reasonable enough. I mean, after all, who would want to say a guy had a good debut just because he did? Especially when saying so is tantamount to calling him the next Bobby Orr. I mean, if one guy compares him to Bobby Orr then everybody must be saying the same thing. Right?

The reality is he didn't even outscore Cale Makar in the NCAA. So, nobody is really looking at him as the next Bobby Orr. There were a couple of plays that were compared to Bobby Orr on HNIC. That's it.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Okay. From now on, if a rookie prospect has a great debut, we'll wait a few games for your approval before we say so. That seems reasonable enough. I mean, after all, who would want to say a guy had a good debut just because he did? Especially when saying so is tantamount to calling him the next Bobby Orr. I mean, if one guy compares him to Bobby Orr then everybody must be saying the same thing. Right?

The reality is he didn't even outscore Cale Makar in the NCAA. So, nobody is really looking at him as the next Bobby Orr. There were a couple of plays that were compared to Bobby Orr on HNIC. That's it.
Lol, sure thing my man or woman. I'll let you know. He had a good debut, congrats to him for playing good for one game.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Lol, sure thing my man or woman. I'll let you know. He had a good debut, congrats to him for playing good for one game.
Oh that's right. I almost forgot. In your mind where everyone expects he'll be the next Bobby Orr, he actually didn't have a good game tonight even though there were some moments where he looked pretty good again and even though he ended up +1, 16:05 toi, and saw power play time. Not a bad second game for a guy straight out of the NCAA. But! We're supposed to wait to talk about him because you don't like him.

You know, if you had just said from the start that you don't like him, I probably would agreed on certain points. But it's way too early to tell. Again, that's just as bad as saying he's the next Bobby Orr already (which nobody ever said that I know of).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Oh that's right. I almost forgot. In your mind where everyone expects he'll be the next Bobby Orr, he actually didn't have a good game tonight even though there were some moments where he looked pretty good again and even though he ended up +1, 16:05 toi, and saw power play time. Not a bad second game for a guy straight out of the NCAA. But! We're supposed to wait to talk about him because you don't like him.

You know, if you had just said from the start that you don't like him, I probably would agreed on certain points. But it's way too early to tell. Again, that's just as bad as saying he's the next Bobby Orr already (which nobody ever said that I know of).
I think you're really confused. I'm saying I'm reserving judgement on him, or any player, until he's played more than one game, especially against a shitty LA team. But rather counter the points I made all you're doing is attacking my character and making sweeping judgements on what I believe.

Just because you've never heard or seen Bobby Orr comparisions doesn't mean they aren't out there. I've never seen them go to the moon, so I guess that never happened either.

He had a good debut. Congrats. That's all you were looking for anyways. Please move this to Around the NHL.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think you're really confused. I'm saying I'm reserving judgement on him, or any player, until he's played more than one game, especially against a ****ty LA team. But rather counter the points I made all you're doing is attacking my character and making sweeping judgements on what I believe.

Just because you've never heard or seen Bobby Orr comparisions doesn't mean they aren't out there. I've never seen them go to the moon, so I guess that never happened either.

He had a good debut. Congrats. That's all you were looking for anyways. Please move this to Around the NHL.

Well, you know if you didn't act as if it is fair to just assume that what I was saying was we should have drafted Hughes instead because he'll be the next Bobby Orr, then maybe I wouldn't have attacked you character. Unfair assumptions as such being what they are though, I'd say you made your character pretty fair game. Speaking of sweeping judgments.

And the Bobby Orr thing, no. Because of the way he skates, people made comparisons, but nobody said unequivocally he will be the next Bobby Orr.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Didn’t catch the game last night, but was able to watch his debut and thought he looked excellent. Hope he turns out for the Canucks. Not trying to be a dick but this probably should’ve been posted in the Around the League thread as he has nothing to do with the Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad