Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yzerman is a literal God, how did he get him for under 10m/year? Good lord.
I know a lot of people attribute it mostly to the state income tax laws and I'm sure that contributes... But honestly I think Yzerman mostly sells them on the vision of a winning team that they can keep together if they take a slightly below market value contract. The Hedman 7.88 AAV is just insane though.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Man, people love the offseason on this board.

Great, he locked up the core that was mostly built before he got there and misses the playoffs half the time. Clearly he's a god

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Man, people love the offseason on this board.

Great, he locked up the core that was mostly built before he got there and misses the playoffs half the time. Clearly he's a god
The only two current TB players not acquired by Yzerman are Stamkos and Hedman. Sure those are two huge pieces, but I think it's pretty unfair to imply he inherited this team. They've lost to the cup winers in the ECF or SCF in 3 of the last 4 years. Sure they missed it the other year but that's far from misting the playoffs half the time. Come on.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
When he took over in 2010, the team was good enough to make the conference final before he really had much effect on the team.

He then proceeded to miss the playoffs the next 2 years.

You take over a team with Stamkos, Hedman, St. Louis, and Lecavalier.
Then you suck bad enough to get a 3rd overall pick.
To show for it you have:
0 Stanley Cups
1 Conference championship
3 times missed the playoffs.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
When he took over in 2010, the team was good enough to make the conference final before he really had much effect on the team.

He then proceeded to miss the playoffs the next 2 years.

You take over a team with Stamkos, Hedman, St. Louis, and Lecavalier.
Then you suck bad enough to get a 3rd overall pick.
To show for it you have:
0 Stanley Cups
1 Conference championship
3 times missed the playoffs.

Vinny was old and far from his 50 goal days. That team made the conference finals largely because Roloson went on a crazy run (remember when Edmonton beat us back in the day) and covered up their bad defense in the playoffs while Stamkos, St. Louis and a lot of guys having career years like Bergenheim outscored his odd-mistake. It was a bad team that caught Lightning in a bottle like Vegas did this year. Hedman took a couple of years to find his footing in the NHL. He played pretty big minutes but was very far from a reliable 1D. He had like 30 points compared to the 60 he puts up now while being way better defensively.

It took Yzerman about 4 years to build the team he has now and allow it's leaders to mature. He could easily have won a cup or two in the last four years and if he had your rhetoric would have to be very different. The 0 cups argument is really silly. Just look at how Ovechkin went from being a huge disappointment to one of the GOAT goal-scorers overnight when Washington won. It's just ridiculous. Yzerman has built a really good team mostly by drafting extremely well and has its numerous superstars locked up long-term to team friendly contracts. If you're trying to argue he's not doing an amazing job because he hasn't won a cup yet... Well that's just a terrible argument and I'm fairly certain you know it.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Oh yeah... I'd argue most fans overrate championships in sports way too much.

But when you also add in only making it to the cup once and missing the playoffs 3 times. I don't understand the seemingly unanimous "god" descriptor when in reality, a chimpanzee could have as much ACTUAL success

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
weird time to harp on the Yzerman hype

Tampa has been overhyped for years but now they probably actually have the strongest roster in the league

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Vinny was old and far from his 50 goal days. That team made the conference finals largely because Roloson went on a crazy run (remember when Edmonton beat us back in the day) and covered up their bad defense in the playoffs while Stamkos, St. Louis and a lot of guys having career years like Bergenheim outscored his odd-mistake. It was a bad team that caught Lightning in a bottle like Vegas did this year. Hedman took a couple of years to find his footing in the NHL. He played pretty big minutes but was very far from a reliable 1D. He had like 30 points compared to the 60 he puts up now while being way better defensively.

It took Yzerman about 4 years to build the team he has now and allow it's leaders to mature. He could easily have won a cup or two in the last four years and if he had your rhetoric would have to be very different. The 0 cups argument is really silly. Just look at how Ovechkin went from being a huge disappointment to one of the GOAT goal-scorers overnight when Washington won. It's just ridiculous. Yzerman has built a really good team mostly by drafting extremely well and has its numerous superstars locked up long-term to team friendly contracts. If you're trying to argue he's not doing an amazing job because he hasn't won a cup yet... Well that's just a terrible argument and I'm fairly certain you know it.

Don't be silly. Ovechkin has been considered one of the GOAT goal-scorers forever. Winning the Cup didn't change that. And huge disappointment? Please...

He has done an amazing job of locking up superstars to team friendly deals absolutely. He has failed (thus far) to turn that into a Cup which is what they are all there for. Are Jim Rutheford or Stan Bowman considered gods? They actually have multiple Cups.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ah, this kind of discussion brings me back to the days people said the Wings were overrated for their drafting and only propped up by getting completely lucky with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

You know, people say stuff like that when you're relevant.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
36642264_482241568889345_3036931118273134592_n.jpg

Camel toe?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I know a lot of people attribute it mostly to the state income tax laws and I'm sure that contributes... But honestly I think Yzerman mostly sells them on the vision of a winning team that they can keep together if they take a slightly below market value contract. The Hedman 7.88 AAV is just insane though.
It’s the tax thing. It’s also the reason so Yzerman has to give so many of their players no trade clauses. They are taking less money on there contract (before tax) because of the tax situation in Florida. A trade to almost any other team would mean a paycut for the player. Hence, all the no trade clauses.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I know they use that as a good sign, I guess we can.

I also think if he does call it a day, this photo is going to rightly be thrown out all over this forum and there isn't going to be much defense of it.
Well, you don't get checked into the boards in golf

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think Hank plays next year, he’s very close to 1000 points, it’s before his annual salary falls off a cliff, I think he has one more season left in him.

But that picture clearly means Karlsson is coming to Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Hank plays next year, he’s very close to 1000 points, it’s before his annual salary falls off a cliff, I think he has one more season left in him.

But that picture clearly means Karlsson is coming to Detroit.

Real question is would Hank play for 2 years on low salary if Karlsson lands in Detroit.

I actually thought we were bringing in Alfie with this long-term gain in mind way back when. Of course he went back to Ottawa for his front office gig which has already fizzled. But it would be interesting if we brought him back in a front office capacity, the big if of Karlsson hitting free agency would be interesting.

I think he extends where he is traded but if not, his familiarity with our organization through friends does make us an interesting destination.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Real question is would Hank play for 2 years on low salary if Karlsson lands in Detroit.

I actually thought we were bringing in Alfie with this long-term gain in mind way back when. Of course he went back to Ottawa for his front office gig which has already fizzled. But it would be interesting if we brought him back in a front office capacity, the big if of Karlsson hitting free agency would be interesting.

I think he extends where he is traded but if not, his familiarity with our organization through friends does make us an interesting destination.

Keep dreaming. He is going to extend with whatever team he gets traded to.

Our best bet is hoping that Werenski had Wings bed sheets growing up. :laugh:

Reactions: waltdetroit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad