Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Go directly to 5:26

He lied to everyone. He knew he wasn't coming back at the deadline but he didn't want to team trading for him to lose assets. And the bit about fans getting on him for bolting at the deadline is bunk... the Isles were out of the playoff picture at the deadline. Isles fans have good reason to hate how he treated the situation.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dude was damned either way. I was reading an (Dotter close your eyes and count to 10) athletic article earlier by DownGoesBrown that pointed out if he said he wasn't coming back and to trade him at the deadline fans would be mad he quit the team in the middle of a playoff race.

If Tavares was fairly certain he wasn't coming back, he could have went to the Isles' GM and told him and put the decision in his hands. NYI could have still opted to keep Tavares, but it would have been a decision made with a better understanding of where they stood in keeping the guy. After the TDL, their GM could have even went out and taken the heat with the properly worded press release and a couple of interviews.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean this is a lot worse with the couple NHL people I talk to. The press like Lebrun generally sticks up for Tavares as not knowing. Tavares told management not to move him at the deadline then went back on his word.

For the record this is much worse than what Fedorov did comparison wise as he actually engaged in what could be termed as good faith negotiations with the Wings pulling offers. Tavares ****** the Islanders then posted himself in Leafs jammies on the heels of it. If it was happening to the Wings you would hope to light the guy on fire is a part of what I am getting at. We have attacked guys for stuff that is not as bad ala Fedorov or given a pass to people for being a liar in a less adamant way ala Datsyuk. What he did was pretty bad. Was it his right? Absolutely, but he should understand he reaps the whirlwind of what he choose to do. What happened last night minus the throwing crap (which I cannot condone) is exactly what he deserved.

He played them and he can keep people saying it was what happened when he got to interviews, but then again when he asked not to be traded it sure as **** wasn't because he was going to listen to offers at some point in the summer. That isn't what he told the team and him pretending he wasn't going to listen to offers when he gave that directive to the Isles might be the first step in his web of lies I am not sure. But sorry that dude gets zero benefit of the doubt from me.

I don't wish the Leafs luck so I cannot say I wish him luck. But I can say I completely understand Isles fans and if I was one I have no trouble seeing the anger displayed last night. What you think the fanbase that knows the situation the best is somehow completely missing in the dark??? Umm... Not so much in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I agree completely, especially throwing things on the ice. But the simple fact that it was snakes made me laugh, throwing a jersey at him when he's walking to the tunnel? f*** off bud..

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Dude was damned either way. I was reading an (Dotter close your eyes and count to 10) athletic article earlier by DownGoesBrown that pointed out if he said he wasn't coming back and to trade him at the deadline fans would be mad he quit the team in the middle of a playoff race.
That's not a bad point. He might have been doomed regardless. I guess leaving a team as the captain is sort of like a breakup. Sometimes they'll be bitter no matter what.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's not a bad point. He might have been doomed regardless. I guess leaving a team as the captain is sort of like a breakup. Sometimes they'll be bitter no matter what.

They were well out of the playoffs and sinking like a stone at the deadline last year. He asked not to be moved and from most accounts apparently sold them well enough he was coming back. He always had the right to leave and the Isles certainly made a mistake trusting him as we found out.

I think people miss this as a factor in the dismissal of Snow and Weight as well by the way. I am surprised more people don't talk about that and it is in a large part because Lou and Trotz are such a wonderful coup d'état that we sort of lost why that happened so late in the summer. So in that respect it was good, but he had strong friendships with both and also seemingly torpedoed them out of jobs.

Tavares has a history of being a good guy on and off the ice. For me this is really reminiscent of how Lebron completely ***** the dog when he left Cleveland the first time.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
im convinced lou lamoriello was a leafs agent sent to NYI to get Tavares to leave and join Toronto. After that, they conveniently took back matt martin who signed a 4yr 10mill contract with the leafs but was a healthy scratch all the time, giving the leafs some extra cap room. Don't forget about them also taking Leo Komarov and his 4yr/12mill contract. How convenient.

As soon as Lou left Toronto for NYI, why did Tavares leave despite telling NYI he was gonna stay, and why did NYI conveniently take on a couple overpaid leafs 4th liners?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
im convinced lou lamoriello was a leafs agent sent to NYI to get Tavares to leave and join Toronto. After that, they conveniently took back matt martin who signed a 4yr 10mill contract with the leafs but was a healthy scratch all the time, giving the leafs some extra cap room. Don't forget about them also taking Leo Komarov and his 4yr/12mill contract. How convenient.

As soon as Lou left Toronto for NYI, why did Tavares leave despite telling NYI he was gonna stay, and why did NYI conveniently take on a couple overpaid leafs 4th liners?

tavares leaving despite telling NYI he was gonna stay speaks about his character. he'd have re-signed long before FA if he really wanted to stay. he planned it all along. also it was stupid from NYI management to buy what he was selling.

lou took those guys because he values those type of players (perhaps too much) and he kenw them very well from his leafs days. komarov was also signed as an FA, isles signed him to that contract.

Reactions: TheMule93

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
tavares leaving despite telling NYI he was gonna stay speaks about his character. he'd have re-signed long before FA if he really wanted to stay. he planned it all along. also it was stupid from NYI management to buy what he was selling.

lou took those guys because he values those type of players (perhaps too much) and he kenw them very well from his leafs days. komarov was also signed as an FA, isles signed him to that contract.

Matt Martin was also a beloved Islander. I think thats what the Martin move was all about.

Oct 18, 2006
Watching Jets/Caps. What really stands out is the crisp passing. Detroit cannot actually pass the puck.

We're years away from being even a reasonable team.

Reactions: Heaton

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm very interested in what the Coyotes are doing this year.
No player on their team has more than 15 goals, only one player has more than 40 points (Keller). However they have 11 guys with 10+ goals, more than Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, and Pittsburgh, and equal to San Jose (those are the top 5 teams in goals).
2nd best PK% and 1st in short handed goals.
8th least goals against/game in the league.
They are the definition of by committee. I have my doubts that they will go very far but should be interesting to see.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No player on their team has more than 15 goals, only one player has more than 40 points (Keller). However they have 11 guys with 10+ goals, more than Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, and Pittsburgh, and equal to San Jose (those are the top 5 teams in goals).
They are the definition of by committee. I have my doubts that they will go very far but should be interesting to see.

Something about Arizona: they've had a bunch of injuries (again). I think that's part of the reason they have so few guys over 40 points. They've also only gotten 12 games out of their starting goalie, though have been fortunate that Kuemper has stepped in and done well. It'd be interesting what Arizona could do if they could stay healthy.

Reactions: 14ari13

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
i think it's just a testament to how bad the west has been this year

Reactions: 14ari13

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
So apparently babcock and dubas aren't getting along too well these days with babcock complaining about lack of depth on the roster publicly. Gonna be a real interesting offseason in toronto if they lose to boston again

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Frankly, a lot of the issues we knew about Babcock are under the magnifying glass in Toronto. He's a major issue with the team's struggles, imo.

Kucherov first player to hit 120 points since Thornton, still some how criminally underrated. Spectacular player.

Reactions: SoupNazi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad