Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yep. And lacking size is not a problem for a forward.
On the defensive end he simply cannot battle for position in front of the net against power forwards. If he did that, he wouldn't have made it this far. So, he tends to get paired with a big defender. He still gets overpowered from time to time, but more often he uses his skating to out maneuver you and take the puck away. And he's pretty successful with that.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Giordano is very deserving of the Norris this year, hopefully he gets the nod.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Giordano is very deserving of the Norris this year, hopefully he gets the nod.

Seems to be one of those forgone conclusions at this point in terms of him winning, good on him.

The finalist I am likely to have the most issues with is Morgan Rielly if that happens. Him and Burns being the other two finalists would bother me a little if it does happen that way. Especially given Rielly's late season struggles where he has been exposed big time over the last few months at times.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems to be one of those forgone conclusions at this point in terms of him winning, good on him.

The finalist I am likely to have the most issues with is Morgan Rielly if that happens. Him and Burns being the other two finalists would bother me a little if it does happen that way. Especially given Rielly's late season struggles where he has been exposed big time over the last few months at times.

It will probably be the 3... My 3 finalists would be Giordano, Carlson, and Hedman.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Man a Few Head Coach firings today

FLA fires Bob Boughner, will probably hire Quenneville

BUF fires Phil Housley

LA will not bring back Willie Desjardins

Seven HC Vacanies at this moment... ANA, BUF, EDM, FLA, LA, OTT & PHI.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man a Few Head Coach firings today

FLA fires Bob Boughner, will probably hire Quenneville

BUF fires Phil Housley

LA will not bring back Willie Desjardins

Seven HC Vacanies at this moment... ANA, BUF, EDM, FLA, LA, OTT & PHI.

This also helped Blashill in my opinion. Unless you knew you could land Q, AV or McLellan some of these teams would have been talking to Blashill. I know a lot of Wings fans don't get that, but he has a good reputation in the industry and they knew about all these jobs opening up, there has been grumbling.

Scary news here is Q looks to be landing with Florida. Makes sense he will split his time between Aspen and Miami moving forward and that team has a lot of talent in place and Tallon is a guy Q gets along with spectacularly. We never really had a chance on that front in my opinion.

I would have been okay bringing McLellan on as a coach, but I am fine with Blashill though scared to death Buffalo lands AV or McLellan. There was some talk he would land in LA in terms of I remember hearing that the other day. But Buffalo and Florida upgrading coaches is going to make our division that much harder.

I would be interested in Boughner as an assistant if we decide to free up a spot and move on from Houda, though I have no indication the Wings are looking at changing their staff.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wow, sounds like the GM should have been fired too before a new coach was hired... :facepalm:

This is how bad teams stay bad. 'We've failed to get all we can out of our young stars, better get a guy who did the same thing to a similar team.'

To be fair, Edmonton has had seven coaches the past ten years who couldn't put that team together, and under chiarelli the "team" the coach had to put together was progressively shallower. And I'm not sure what their next GM can do to right that ship in the near future with the contracts Edmonton has on the books. I wouldn't hold the Oil against McLellen.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Man to make that decision and hand the better player over to your arch-rival would be such a disaster. I don't think Shero would make that mistake, but for the good of USA Hockey, I hope he does.

I agree. People can speculate all they want, but if anyone understands the importance of having big time centres it's Ray Shero.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree. People can speculate all they want, but if anyone understands the importance of having big time centres it's Ray Shero.

It's not a given Hughes will be a center. I think it is close enough to where it warrants a discussion. I could see this being like who would you rather have, Marner or Rantanen type of situation. I think they both will be really good.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's not a given Hughes will be a center. I think it is close enough to where it warrants a discussion. I could see this being like who would you rather have, Marner or Rantanen type of situation. I think they both will be really good.

I get the other point being made and I am not saying we know this in terms of Kakko and Hughes.

But just because I certainly have an opinion on this being phrased with this comparison, but who would you say is driving the line between those two guys? They both have glory boy #1 picks on their line, but in my opinion you can say one guy is the offensive catalyst on his line and the other guy is in the #2 role... I know it is splitting hairs but I do think that is worth pointing out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get the other point being made and I am not saying we know this in terms of Kakko and Hughes.

But just because I certainly have an opinion on this being phrased with this comparison, but who would you say is driving the line between those two guys. They both have glory boy #1s on their line but in my opinion you can say one guy is the offensive catalyst on his line and the other guy is in the #2 role... I know it is cutting hairs but I do think that is worth pointing out.

I like Marner better in that scenario, and I also like Hughes better. Mostly because they are huge possession drivers like you said.

But I could see it being similarly close with the top 2 guys down the line.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
What is your guys opinion on trying to trade for Faulk? Would it be worth the price or not?

I’d love to score both him and Trouba, but I’m a Faulk fanboy so I’m looking for some unbiased take on him as to his skill and theoretical effect on the team

Mods can move this to proper thread if need be

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Kakko is going to make more of an immediate impact while Hughes learns how to produce 5v5 in the NHL. It's not as big of a gap as you think, and Kakko has overtaken Hughes as #1 with some pro scouts. Just depends on what you want - the better player now or the better player later, keep in mind the NHL is skewing towards roller hockey.

Everything seems to be falling into place for Columbus at the right time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad