Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Watching Columbus right now, this is what we look like we're building towards. A fast, in your face physical team that's strong in both ends of the ice. Larkin, Bert, Mantha, Hronek, Hicketts, and Smith fit that mold. Ras could if he bulks up. Add Turcotte or Cozens and we could really have a fun, high event team.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Watching Columbus right now, this is what we look like we're building towards. A fast, in your face physical team that's strong in both ends of the ice. Larkin, Bert, Mantha, Hronek, Hicketts, and Smith fit that mold. Ras could if he bulks up. Add Turcotte or Cozens and we could really have a fun, high event team.
Larkin-Turcotte-Veleno is like my dream center scenario. Speedy, 2-way guys that work like crazy and have the skill to score.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I forgot that Ville Leino had 21 points in the playoffs for the Flyers one year. lol.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Id probably rather have Buffalo's roster than LA's roster honestly. Both suck, but one is young at least.

Reactions: gbdet

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think that was a mistake on what is his last job if he doesn't succeed and in my opinion the Kings are not setup to succeed on a quicker timeline than us, so....

Yeah, LA seems like a weird choice. Old team, a lot of money locked in to guys who aren't getting it done, not a ton of talent in the pipeline to get them going again... . Unless they are just going to start gutting that team and they want McLellen around to helm the ship through the first part of a rebuild? I don't know.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, LA seems like a weird choice. Old team, a lot of money locked in to guys who aren't getting it done, not a ton of talent in the pipeline to get them going again... . Unless they are just going to start gutting that team and they want McLellen around to helm the ship through the first part of a rebuild? I don't know.
A realist would agree that LA needs to move out the majority of their aging roster.

Sucks for them as well that Gabe Vilardi has back issues. They can’t afford to have a first round pick not make it.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Not just swept, but dominated. They really needed a safe word.

Meh by expected goals the series was even (Tampa slightly better actually). For it to be that close Tampa had to play poorly by their standards, but the surprise is that they played at Columbus's level, not really beneath it. Not to take away from the Blue Jackets; Columbus did a great job, and they played to their gameplan, but I didn't see domination. I saw the 95-07 Wings teams that didn't win the cup. An obviously better team that got frustrated by a hot goalie and a physical, defensive, invested underdog that got all of the bounces. This game is super random and sometimes even series are sweeps.

That this happened to a 62 win team is pretty crazy though. Probably the biggest upset any of us will ever see.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Meh by expected goals the series was even (Tampa slightly better actually). For it to be that close Tampa had to play poorly by their standards, but the surprise is that they played at Columbus's level, not really beneath it. Not to take away from the Blue Jackets; Columbus did a great job, and they played to their gameplan, but I didn't see domination. I saw the 95-07 Wings teams that didn't win the cup. An obviously better team that got frustrated by a hot goalie and a physical, defensive, invested underdog that got all of the bounces. This game is super random and sometimes even series are sweeps.

That this happened to a 62 win team is pretty crazy though. Probably the biggest upset any of us will ever see.

Can't believe this guy brought up "parity" after having a +103 goal differential on the season.

I said a few times Columbus is not a team you want to play in round 1, but take some accountability dude.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Possibly. But for me, the eyball test showed that CBus dominated.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
When you add half your roster at the deadline it takes a little while to know where everyone is gonna be at on the ice. It started coming together for Columbus the last eight games in which they went 7-1 during that stretch and if you include the playoffs, 11-1.

Columbus is, and was, a scary team

Reactions: Winger98

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
Looking at the PO series, it seems like our 2nd round picks could move a little higher than 57-58..Best case scenario would be if Canes eliminated Caps and then dealt with the NYI (not likely, but hopefully the Caps can make it to the ECF). If CBJ could make it to the ECF that would guarantee us at least 1 team passing NYI and SJ in the draft order. Now if Vegas can eliminate SJ in the next game or two, while the Avs take care of CGY, that would mean that we would have 2 other teams moving up in the draft order, ahead of NYI and SJ. which could give us picks in the 54-55 range. Doesn`t seem like much, but with the number of interesting prospects concentrated around the late first and early second round I could see a quality prospect falling to the 50`s.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
may-the-schwartz-be-with-you-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad