Around the NHL 2015-16: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can someone remind me what happens when someone on a contract like Ehrhoff or Moulson get waived, in terms of cap hit? I know you have to keep paying the same salary, but does that player still count toward the cap if unclaimed? I'm assuming so - I just want to confirm.

If a player on a one-way contract is sent down (he can clear waivers without being sent down) then his cap hit is reduced by $375k + the minimum NHL salary. For this season the minimum is $575k, so that means $950k in cap savings. Next season that number will be the same. For 17-18 and 18-19 it'll be $1.025M, for 19-20 and 20-21 it'll be $1.075M and for 21-22 it'll be $1.125M.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If a player on a one-way contract is sent down (he can clear waivers without being sent down) then his cap hit is reduced by $375k + the minimum NHL salary. For this season the minimum is $575k, so that means $950k in cap savings. Next season that number will be the same. For 17-18 and 18-19 it'll be $1.025M, for 19-20 and 20-21 it'll be $1.075M and for 21-22 it'll be $1.125M.

Thanks so much! This is very clear and succinct, which is much appreciated...not sure why I wasn't able to find this info elsewhere but thanks.

Is this for the duration of the contract? So if we send Moulson down, he'll cost us $4M cap hit instead of $5M for the duration of his entire contract?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks so much! This is very clear and succinct, which is much appreciated...not sure why I wasn't able to find this info elsewhere but thanks.

Is this for the duration of the contract? So if we send Moulson down, he'll cost us $4M cap hit instead of $5M for the duration of his entire contract?

Players can only be assigned to the minors during the season (well, no earlier than training camp, at least), and have to be re-assigned each season. So for any season in which Moulson were hypothetically sent down, his cap hit would be lowered by the corresponding amount for that season (based on the season's minimum salary). During the offseason, Moulson's contract would count in full (note that teams can exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason).

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

I might be over thinking this but doesn't that by effect set the AHL max salary? Teams that do not have an internal cap can have players on the 50 man roster and it will not affect their cap as long as the player is in the AHL and makes less that 950k.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/stamkoss-agent-meehan-provides-update-on-contract-talks/

Stamkos’s agent, Don Meehan, joined Prime Time Sports on Sportsnet 590 The Fan as a guest Wednesday to talk about the status of his client. Meehan confirmed that talks with the Lightning are ongoing but stressed there is nothing imminent.

“They’re productive. All of our discussions have been productive, they’ve been professional. Tampa understands and appreciates the fact that Steven has every right and ability to take as much time as necessary to make a decision in relation to his future. That’s really what we’re engaged in at this point in time,†Meehan told Bob McCown and John Shannon.

There are a whole lot of not saying much quotes from Meehan later on.

Stamkos knows he has all the leverage right now.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ryan-murray-forward-ceci-tampa-bay-lightning/

According to two TVA reporters, the Ottawa Senators general manager is now the front-runner to land disgruntled Tampa Bay Lightning forward Jonathan Drouin before the NHL trade deadline.

TVA’s Louis Jean reported the news Wednesday night, and colleague Renaud Lavoie asserted he had heard the same thing Thursday morning on The Jeff Blair Show.

“He’s always looking as a GM to find those players who quote-unquote ‘nobody wants anymore,’ †Lavoie said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “Kyle Turris is a good example.â€

"From my understanding, it's costly," Lavoie said of Yzerman's asking price, which varies depending on the trade partner. "If they're asking for a young D like [Ottawa's Cody] Ceci, I'm not sure they're not going to say yes to that."

The developing Ceci, 22, is having a career season for Ottawa and has been partnered with Phaneuf on the Sens' second pairing. He was Ottawa's first-round pick in 2012.

Ottawa or not, "I'm sure Yzerman will find someone to pay the price," Lavoie said.

"I do expect something is going to happen before the trading deadline."

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I might be over thinking this but doesn't that by effect set the AHL max salary? Teams that do not have an internal cap can have players on the 50 man roster and it will not affect their cap as long as the player is in the AHL and makes less that 950k.

I think you are misunderstanding....

If Moulson was to be sent down....$950K would be counted against Rochester, the remainder---cap hit-$950K is counted against Buffalo as a buried contract. In essence $4.05M of dead cap space. that $4.05M counts against the $71.4M team cap. The $950K does not.

He would still count against the 50 player contract count because his contract is still with Buffalo.

If the player is making less than $950K this year (or the amounts in future years) then he would not count against the books. His contract still counts against the 50.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I think you are misunderstanding....

If Moulson was to be sent down....$950K would be counted against Rochester, the remainder---cap hit-$950K is counted against Buffalo as a buried contract. In essence $4.05M of dead cap space. that $4.05M counts against the $71.4M team cap. The $950K does not.

He would still count against the 50 player contract count because his contract is still with Buffalo.

If the player is making less than $950K this year (or the amounts in future years) then he would not count against the books. His contract still counts against the 50.

Correct. I'm thinking for a TJ Brennan/Denis Hamel type who is a AHL all star but probably wont crack a NHL roster. You can sign him to a 2 way deal for anything up to 950k without a cap hit when they are in the minors. That is effect creates an AHL max contract as teams will be happy to sign a playrt to as much as they can as long as it does not have a cap hit. It also to a large extent sets a NHL vet minimum. For many teams cash out is not the issue but cap hit is.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
McDavid working on a four point night. He's unreal, probably the best player in the game already.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So fun to watch. I wish Eichel had 1/10th the on ice intensity McDavid does.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Now we have to hear on the main boards that Eichel sucks because McDavid put up 5 points against the Leafs but when Eichel did it against Boston no one gave a crap.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Now we have to hear on the main boards that Eichel sucks because McDavid put up 5 points against the Leafs but when Eichel did it against Boston no one gave a crap.

Eichel isn't in the same realm as McDavid. That comparison needs to end.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Dude, two were empty nets. Eichel is not on McDavids level. It's not even close. It sucks for Jack because the two will always be compared.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So fun to watch. I wish Eichel had 1/10th the on ice intensity McDavid does.

Eichel is a lazy hockey player, he was in college to. I'm not bashing him or anything, but his intensity needs to be way higher on a consistent basis.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Dude, two were empty nets. Eichel is not on McDavids level. It's not even close. It sucks for Jack because the two will always be compared.

Never said that. I hate how posters immediately take shots at Eichel whenever McDavid does well.

Would be nice to have a linemate of Eberle's caliber though.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Never said that. I hate how posters immediately take shots at Eichel whenever McDavid does well.

Would be nice to have a linemate of Eberle's caliber though.

That's what happens when Eichel was touted as a potential generational talent, with a small gap between him and McDavid.

This season has proven the gap is more of a canyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad