Around the NHL 2015-16: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People have seen the lotto odds right? This writing Matthews in in pen is a laugh.

They're almost 50/50 to draft 4th if they finish last.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Also very much enjoying seeing all the crap buffalo got for moving impending UFAs during the tank...who I guess they should have been forced to give raises for their constant failure...made everyone lose their minds...

But the stuff Toronto has done...contract on LTIR and moving their best players with a ton of term left...that's all good. "With dignity" even

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So let's play the exact same game:

Wow Toronto might tie up a ton of cap in Stamkos and get Tkachuk. Wonder what they'll think of our Matthews-Eichel-RoR-Reinhart center conundrum.

We could. It's all speculation here. I'm learning though that unless it's positive in the Sabres favor I shouldn't speculate.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
All I've thought about today regarding the Dion trade is the Toronto Media getting pissy when Buffalo sold off veteran assets...all of whom had a year or less in term...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
They're well on their way...if they win the lottery and dole out 7 figures per to Stamkos who chooses to go from one of the best to one of the worst rosters in the league...

Lot of hypothetical wins for Toronto there.

If the Leafs somehow draft Matthews and sign Stamkos, I bet a vocal percentage of Leaf fans predict Conference Final appearance next year.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
To me, this is basically moving Phaneuf for Cowen + 2nd. Which is a pretty meh trade but gets money off of Toronto. Change these teams to Florida and New Jersey and it's a blip on the radar. Not a huge deal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
To me, this is basically moving Phaneuf for Cowen + 2nd. Which is a pretty meh trade but gets money off of Toronto. Change these teams to Florida and New Jersey and it's a blip on the radar. Not a huge deal.

It's stil a former Norris nominee and all star being moved.

Yeah it got more attention because of Toronto, but it's still a pretty big move

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...de--certainly-wasn-t-for-today-192529672.html

“The length of Dion’s contract, and the amount of cap space that is there, and where that would put us at a given time, certainly not knowing where the cap will go and I always have had a feeling it would sort of level off, this gives us the opportunity to do things,†Lamoriello said. “It also gives us the opportunity that when some of our younger players coming at the end of their entry-level contracts, that we have high expectations to be able to sign them.
"This was a transaction that certainly wasn’t for today.â€
Lamoriello said dealing Phaneuf leaves a “hole in our lineup.†He ranked third on the team in ice time, averaging 22:01 per-game, and his 24 points led Maple Leafs defensemen. A year ago he had just 29 points in 70 games.

This blatant tanking stuff needs to stop!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I would claim Ehrhoff. I don't know what he has left though.

Tim Murray doesn't seem like the type to bring back somebody he had to buy out.

It really seems that the concussion filled year in Pitt really derailed Ehrhoff which is too bad.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Tim Murray doesn't seem like the type to bring back somebody he had to buy out.

It really seems that the concussion filled year in Pitt really derailed Ehrhoff which is too bad.

Wasn't that more about the rebuild then anything else?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Wasn't that more about the rebuild then anything else?

I would say it was a combination of Ehrhoff not wanting to go through the rebuild, and the cap recapture penalty on his old CBA contract was pretty massive, so there was some risk in trading him (though as I've recently mentioned in another thread, I think the whole fear of retirement is basically overblown).

If it wasn't for the added compliance buyouts for the new CBA, I'm not sure he would have been bought out at all. But since he seemed unhappy here with the team in a tank nosedive, Murray used it. I just don't think he'd bring him back when he didn't want to be on a "bad" team anyway, not that Ehrhoff has much choice at this point.

I haven't seen him play at all this year, but I haven't heard anybody say he's looked good even last year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Thirteen groups representing eight cities arrived in New York in February 1966 to present their cases to the Board: five groups from Los Angeles, two from Pittsburgh, and one each from Vancouver, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Baltimore and San Francisco.

Five groups made their 30-minute presentation February 7, five more the morning of February 8, and three the afternoon of February 8. It was an eclectic group of bidders for NHL teams, with potential owners coming from the worlds of sports, entertainment and politics.

Among them were George W. Eby, owner of the Ice Capades, representing one of the Los Angeles groups. Another group seeking a team for Los Angeles mentioned having comedian Bob Hope as a director. Los Angeles Rams owner Dan Reeves was part of another L.A. group, and said he would be bringing in Clint Murchison Jr., president of the Dallas Cowboys, as a partner. Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson made his own bid for a team in Los Angeles. Jack Kent Cooke, who owned the Los Angeles Lakers and was part-owner of the Washington Redskins, was trying to bring a team to Los Angeles.

Other candidates were Seymour and Northrup Knox, who were bidding for a team in Buffalo. There was a group from Pittsburgh that featured Pennsylvania state Sen. Jack McGregor as president and Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney as a director. Famed broadcaster Foster Hewitt represented the Vancouver bid, and there was a Philadelphia group led by Philadelphia Eagles owner Jerry Wolman.

On February 9, Campbell announced that five cities had been unanimously awarded conditional franchises: Los Angeles, which would be owned by Cooke's California Sports Inc. and included plans for an arena that became the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, California; San Francisco; Minneapolis-St. Paul; Philadelphia, which included plans for the arena that became the Spectrum; and Pittsburgh, to be owned by the group led by McGregor.

The Board also announced St. Louis had been awarded a conditional franchise based on a qualified application being received before April 5, 1966. If none was received, the conditional franchise would be awarded to Baltimore. A suitable ownership group was found in St. Louis, and when the 1967-68 season started, the California Seals, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and St. Louis Blues began play in the NHL West Division.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Good players excel in the playoffs. St Louis, Briere, Tyler Johnson, Kucherov, Kane... frankly I'm having a harder time thinking of high-end smaller players who struggled in the playoffs than those who didn't.

Yup. Players who struggle in the playoffs can be defined as those that think and play quick and those who can't.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Can someone remind me what happens when someone on a contract like Ehrhoff or Moulson get waived, in terms of cap hit? I know you have to keep paying the same salary, but does that player still count toward the cap if unclaimed? I'm assuming so - I just want to confirm.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/study-of-ex-nhl-enforcer-todd-ewens-brain-shows-no-signs-of-cte/

The CCC said it has analyzed 20 brains, with roughly half showing signs of CTE or the presence of another neurodegenerative disease.

"These results indicate that in some athletes, multiple concussions do not lead to the development of CTE," Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati the neuropathologist who conducted the autopsy, said in the release. "Our findings continue to show that concussions can affect the brain in different ways. This underlines the need to not only continue this research, but also be cautious about drawing any definitive conclusions about CTE until we have more data."

I wonder how many non-athletes or people like myself that played minor hockey and graduated to beer leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad