Around the NHL 2015-16: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was starting to warm up to signing him but it's hard to want to touch that after McCormick.

Agreed. Well, except the warming up to signing him thing. That would interfere with my hops-induced fever dream of them retooling 4 or 5 guy on the blueline in one summer. :laugh:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Cooper has to turn to his last hope. A rebel without an alarm clock.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They had 66 points the season they landed their 1st 1st.

They have 67 now.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Let's be honest they drafted 1st overall in some ****** drafts to hold 1st overall. They need to be done with one of Hall/Eberle and RNH this Summer.

The scary thing is they're going to find some teams stupid enough to give them a legit defensemen for each of those two packages. They are going to have a New York Islanders type turn around next season if they turn Eberle into a defensemen and RNH into a defensemen. It's up to Chia to find his shutdown forward after that.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd like to say I'm surprised that a person who always finds the negative in all things Buffalo makes an apology for the Oilers...

And this is 1st rounder for Griffin Reinhart and handful of magic beans for Seguin Chia we're talking about. Other teams can't wait.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And yet Edmonton drafted Darnell Nurse 7th overall in the same time frame that we're looking to draft... 7th overall. Sabres fans need to slow their roll and stop rushing to the main forums anytime the team puts a few games together. This place was embarrassing from 2005-2011 when it came to Sabres posters trying to rub everything in when the franchise and city in general has won nothing ever.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Anyways all of these injuries across the league is why I want the season to be 72 or even just 62 games. The list of players who are on playoff teams but will likely miss most of the playoffs could be a great team in itself. The NHL playoffs have become too much about who is healthiest going into them and who can stay the healthiest throughout. 72 games stretched over the same time frame as the 82 game schedule would eliminate a lot of the B2Bs in the league. It's more than 2 weeks extra rest which is huge.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So was just going through the standings and in the East, seven teams have been eliminated, meaning there's a set top nine in the conference. Yet only two teams, Washington and Pittsburgh, have clinched a playoff spot. So only one of the other seven non-eliminated teams will miss the playoffs, but it could be any one of those seven.

In the west, on the other hand, seven of the playoff teams are set. Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Jose have all clinched spots. The last spot is either going to be Minnesota or Colorado.

Five of last years playoff teams have already been eliminated. Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Calgary. So there will be between five and seven teams in this year's playoffs that didn't make it last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It has to be the year they move some of their golden children. You would think.

Eberle, Hall, and Yak should all be gone. There are only so many one-way, partially engaged wingers one team can have. They're like the Vanek-Pominville Sabres... hell the only player Yak's done okay with was Roy so I suppose there is some Afinogenov experience that Derek could draw from too.

And I'm glad every day that Buffalo got O'Reilly as a guy to play hard minutes while the kids adjust. The leadership and character of guys like Gionta, Gorges, O'Reilly, and Legwand seems head and shoulders above whatever the Oilers have dredged up to plug in around their kids. Chiarelli will make changes. He is not beholden to any of them and he has his guy behind the bench. Now if only the ownership will keep their mitts off and let him do what needs to be done.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Edmonton will win, but they have tough decisions to make. They need to make them this offseason.

You have 1 guaranteed piece, McDavid. Now decide what other pieces you want with him, trade the other pieces.

Keep:
McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
2016 1st pick

Trade:
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov

You could get a couple nice defensive pieces by moving those players.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Edmonton will win, but they have tough decisions to make. They need to make them this offseason.

You have 1 guaranteed piece, McDavid. Now decide what other pieces you want with him, trade the other pieces.

Keep:
McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
2016 1st pick

Trade:
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov

You could get a couple nice defensive pieces by moving those players.

Why keep Hall? He's the guy who I would trade first honestly, even before Eberle or Yak or RNH. He sulks, he blows his zone and looks like he's not committed. And he's not just a kid any longer.

Keep Draisaitl and of course McDavid. Keep Klingberg. But the rest needs a solid scrubbing.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why keep Hall? He's the guy who I would trade first honestly, even before Eberle or Yak or RNH. He sulks, he blows his zone and looks like he's not committed. And he's not just a kid any longer.

Keep Draisaitl and of course McDavid. Keep Klingberg. But the rest needs a solid scrubbing.

He has been part of a horribly run organization. I would sulk also. 5 on 5 he has over 50% gf% the last 2 years, 4 out of 6 years. Amazing on such a bad team. Trading him for a top pair defenseman I get, but he is not their problem.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I'd trade Hall for a top pair D and I'd trade Yak for a someone like Drouin or Nuke.

The Oilers really need to move one of those forwards

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd trade Hall for a top pair D and I'd trade Yak for a someone like Drouin or Nuke.

The Oilers really need to move one of those forwards

Yak isnt going to come close to bringing in somebody like Drouin or Nuke. Teams didn't even want to part with a 2nd rounder for Yak at Deadline.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Why trade Yakupov for a generally similar player? There is a major character problem in that organization (on and off ice). If the front office had a clue, they would trade Yakupov for an old, grisly vet that can show some professionalism, FW or D. I would sign UFAs like Chimera, Chipchura, Moen, Brouwer, Legwand, and Matt Cullen for a stoopid salary just to get a better vibe in the locker room - guys that are too old to command high dollar or from the area and might consider an overpayment to play there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And do the Oilers really need someone like Nichushkin (hating on Ruff for not playing him enough even though A) his defensive game isn't great and B) he's getting 2nd line minutes behind two of the top scorers in the entire league) or Drouin (took his puck and went home)? No. Just... no.

Character and defense are what the Oilers need. Dangling someone out to Carolina with their abundance of defenseman would be a start. Is that RNH? Hall? I don't know if Francis would bite on Eberle, but he does have the surplus of defense to fill holes up front if he so chooses.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Yep.

See if Fletcher will go RNH for Brodin.

Hall to Isles for Harmonic?

Eberle to the Rangers for Girardi.

Yakupov to anyone for anything.

Some of these deals are a loss for Edmonton. But they need defense and character.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yep.

See if Fletcher will go RNH for Brodin.

Hall to Isles for Harmonic?

Eberle to the Rangers for Girardi.

Yakupov to anyone for anything.

Some of these deals are a loss for Edmonton. But they need defense and character.

That's an understatement. Girardi is basically a cap dump. Even if you hate Eberle, he's still worth considerably more than that. Hall for Hamonic isn't so bad, and I could actually see that one making the Oilers a better team, but the value is still rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln