Around the NHL 2015-16: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
A vacated captaincy? Might just give Stamkos that much more incentive to sign in Toronto...not that he needs much more.

Lol.
I can't see Stammer going to a team just starting a rebuild in his prime years.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Agreed. I think a player of stamkos' caliber immediately cuts down on the rebuild time. They'll still have their work cut out for them, but Stamkos is a pretty good cornerstone. ...

Imagine if they win the lottery.

Matthews/Stamkos anchoring their 1st line with Marner/Nylander as the 2nd line?

Combine that with Rielly as the D anchor?

They still need some D help, but they're well on their way.

And I HATE saying that.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

And I HATE saying that.

I dunno. I look forward to it and I hate the leafs as much as anyone.

What better then a good old rivalry during our prime years.:popcorn:

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014

And I HATE saying that.

Then again what if Stamkos decides to stay in Tampa and they miss out on drafting top 3. While Chychrun and Tkachuck are great prospects. They aren't quite in the year of Jesse p and Laine and obviously Matthews. I'm not sure they need another high end winger after drafting 2 the past two years as well as acquiring kapanen and having JVR on the books. Regarding Chychrun while a good prospect, do they need another top LHD, having Reilly as there top LHD already?

While not the end of the world of they don't get Stamkos with that increased cap space as they will surely have money to spend. Missing out on him if he decides to stay in Tampa could really set them back a while, especially if they do not draft top 3 either.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lol.
I can't see Stammer going to a team just starting a rebuild in his prime years.

take a look at Torontos team without Stamkos..playing GM

JVR-Kadri-xxx
Lupul-Bozak-xxx
Michalek-Winnik-Komarov
xxx-Froese-xxx
greening

next year forwards: Marner(C), Nylander(RW), Kapanen(RW, Gauthier

JVR-Stamkos-Nylander
Lupul-Kadri/Bozak-Kapanen
Michelek-Marner-Komarov
Winnik-Froese-xxx
greening

trade: Bozak/Kadri

on defense:
Reilly-Gardiner
cowen-Marincin
Robidas-Hunwick

corardo

On paper if they felt they would be getting Stamkos (they will have an idea at the draft) then they would likely draft a Dman.

If they sign Stamkos maybe they trade Bozak/Kadri for a Dman. Maybe trade Gauthier for a Dman (similar age)

If they lose out on Stamkos they pencil Marner and Nylander as future centers, unless they won the lottery

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They know they're getting Stamkos, and this move helps. Other than Vanek to Minnesota, has there been a more known outcome that Stamkos becoming a Leaf?

I hope I have to eat my words, but it's looking more likely by the day.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
They know they're getting Stamkos, and this move helps. Other than Vanek to Minnesota, has there been a more known outcome that Stamkos becoming a Leaf?

I hope I have to eat my words, but it's looking more likely by the day.

I think its really just a staring contest between Yzerman and Stamko's agent. It'll get done.

Between the higher taxes and the ability to add an 8th year, Stamko's take home pay will be significantly higher if he opts to stay in TB. Stamko's agent knows that Yzerman won't lose an asset like Stamkos for nothing over 1-1.5M in cap space, so they are simply waiting him out. My guess is we see a 8 year, 9.5M per deal announced before the TDL.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Is the measure of a "blockbuster" just the number of players involved? None of the players that were just traded are that good...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think its really just a staring contest between Yzerman and Stamko's agent. It'll get done.

Between the higher taxes and the ability to add an 8th year, Stamko's take home pay will be significantly higher if he opts to stay in TB. Stamko's agent knows that Yzerman won't lose an asset like Stamkos for nothing over 1-1.5M in cap space, so they are simply waiting him out. My guess is we see a 8 year, 9.5M per deal announced before the TDL.
Don't think it has anything to do with money. Stamkos is getting paid regardless and endorsements he would get in Canada would even that figure out pretty quickly. This has always been about ego. Toronto has been so bad for so long that I think we're starting to see some megalomania in regards to guys wanting to be the man who correct that ship. To bring a cup home to the center of the Hockey media universe. It started with Shannahan, then Babcock, and will continue with Stamkos.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Is he still the same Stamkos though? Tampa fans dont seem impressed by his play the last couple years.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Anytime you can wrap up a one dimensional goal scorer who failed in a Cup run for the max cap number, that's a move you have to make

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is the measure of a "blockbuster" just the number of players involved? None of the players that were just traded are that good...

If [the number of Canadian teams involved] + [number of players, prospects, and picks involved] > 10, then the trade has to be called a blockbuster.

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, moving Phaneuf's contract without retaining salary and Toronto trading their captain makes the blockbuster tag for this trade legit, for me.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

My first thought seeing the trade was "what a nothing burger." Phaneuf is the only mildly interesting player in the deal. Bunch of filler going both ways.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Leafs have a bunch of small soft wingers. They are no challenge in a grueling playoff series.

Good players excel in the playoffs. St Louis, Briere, Tyler Johnson, Kucherov, Kane... frankly I'm having a harder time thinking of high-end smaller players who struggled in the playoffs than those who didn't.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Anytime you can wrap up a one dimensional goal scorer who failed in a Cup run for the max cap number, that's a move you have to make

QFT. Stamkos is in the bottom third of the league when it comes to ES scoring this year and can't find chemistry with anyone in TB despite having a crapload of talented teammates (Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Namestikov).
Can't wait for the Leafs to sign him to a Kopitar-esque contract and then realize he's actually mediocre to average at everything in hockey other than scoring one timer goals into half empty nets on 2 man advantages.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Gotta hand it to Toronto for shedding some of those awful contracts.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Leafs may have Auston Mathews and Steven Stamkos in a few months. Rivalry renewed.

Mathews vs Eichel is juicy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

And I HATE saying that.

They're well on their way...if they win the lottery and dole out 7 figures per to Stamkos who chooses to go from one of the best to one of the worst rosters in the league...

Lot of hypothetical wins for Toronto there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad