Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The more I read ********* like this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-mlse-support/article22938348/?service=mobile

... the more I think Bettman will punish teams openly talking about losing and not trying. Send McDavid anywhere but Toronto, for the love of the hockey gods. It's pretty obvious they're throwing games, the players know it too. Management has said they're all being traded, so why play? It was dysfunctional to begin with.

Carolina, Columbus, Coyotes. Teams that have tried but just suck for various reasons. Reward them.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
36 hours in and the Vegas NHL guys get 5,000 sign ups. Good odds Vegas gets 10,000 and gets strong consideration. Road trip anyone?

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
The more I read ********* like this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-mlse-support/article22938348/?service=mobile

... the more I think Bettman will punish teams openly talking about losing and not trying. Send McDavid anywhere but Toronto, for the love of the hockey gods. It's pretty obvious they're throwing games, the players know it too. Management has said they're all being traded, so why play? It was dysfunctional to begin with.

Carolina, Columbus, Coyotes. Teams that have tried but just suck for various reasons. Reward them.
It would be hypocritical to set up a reward system for failure and then punish teams for failing in order to receive the rewards.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It would be hypocritical to set up a reward system for failure and then punish teams for failing in order to received the rewards.

Which is why I want something more like the NBA lottery system, where every pick is drawn for, and the odds aren't nearly as good for the last few teams. Next year's system isn't enough.

The NHL should have seen this coming.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Toronto has the 100 year celebration coming up next year. I totally expect them to half-ass this rebuild again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Which is why I want something more like the NBA lottery system, where every pick is drawn for, and the odds aren't nearly as good for the last few teams. Next year's system isn't enough.

The NHL should have seen this coming.

Next year's system is almost identical to the NBA's.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It would be hypocritical to set up a reward system for failure and then punish teams for failing in order to receive the rewards.
Hypocritical but not wrong. The system was intended to help those who are failing, not reward those who fail on purpose. I'd love to see the hockey gods put the smack down on these teams that are basically flaunting their tank.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Next year's system is almost identical to the NBA's.

For some reason I thought the NBA drew for the top 5, not just the top 3. I'd like to see the top 10 drawn for, as an example.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For some reason I thought the NBA drew for the top 5, not just the top 3. I'd like to see the top 10 drawn for, as an example.

I figure it's still a big improvement. Every draft is different, but it seems like once you get past the first few picks in most years that scouting and development becomes just as important as taking the no-brainer highest rated available player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I figure it's still a big improvement. Every draft is different, but it seems like once you get past the first few picks in most years that scouting and development becomes just as important as taking the no-brainer highest rated available player.

Many years we're still talking about three consensus top tier guys. I don't see how a top three draw solves the problem of tanking in that situation, if teams are still rewarded with better odds for losses.

Really, it has to be embarrassing to the league to have so many teams openly talking about losing and the draft this year.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Many years we're still talking about three consensus top tier guys. I don't see how a top three draw solves the problem of tanking in that situation, if teams are still rewarded with better odds for losses.

Really, it has to be embarrassing to the league to have so many teams openly talking about losing and the draft this year.

Doesn't this happen in every sports league, though?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Doesn't this happen in every sports league, though?

In the NFL there isn't as big a push to tank, as most teams are drafting for immediate positional need, and there's enough good players to go around. You can get starters in the third round. You might see a thrown game in a year with a surefire franchise #1 QB but even those guys, when picked, are not a sure thing. Tied records with coin flips are a thing. There is a lot of parity and an immense pressure to win in the NFL.

In the NBA, they use the NHL system, so you're not guaranteed the guy. In most NBA drafts, it's one or two guys that are really coveted. The thing with the NBA is that there's no parity, so bad teams never really make any attempt to be good in the first place. Draft picks outside the lottery are handed out like candy by the rich teams that just sign guys away from others.

MLB players get paid the most of any sport on individual performance, so they aren't going to be throwing games. Prospects can also refuse to sign with you, fairly regularly.

Hockey is unique in that teams are drafting for a year or two down the road, if not more, and almost never for immediate need. Hockey also has a pretty consistent top 2-3 guys every year that are just a cut above the rest, so teams try to get as close as possible. A few draft spots has a much bigger impact than the other sports. Hockey's favorite sons don't usually bust, even less so in recent years.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I liked the idea I saw once of having teams play in draft playoffs. Not really sure how realistic that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad