Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

To many money pushups?..Maybe he added to many stacks on his back?

dynamic_resize

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Many years we're still talking about three consensus top tier guys. I don't see how a top three draw solves the problem of tanking in that situation, if teams are still rewarded with better odds for losses.

Really, it has to be embarrassing to the league to have so many teams openly talking about losing and the draft this year.

Bad teams are usually bad for a reason. For example the Oilers aren't interntionally trying to be a bad team, they just have an utterly incompetent management group.

The changes to the draft next year will mean that the absolutely worst team in the league has an approximately 50% chance to draft 4th, and the other 50% somewhere from 1st to 3rd. I don't think it's perfect, but still a huge step up from the current situation where the worst team is guaranteed to draft no lower then 2nd.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Edmonton won again last night. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Coyotes can still catch Edmonton.

Agreed, but we really have to take care of our end of the bargain. DM getting off his couch and finally dumping the FAs would be a great start.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Looking at the Oilers possession stats now

Corsi in 2013-14 44.6% 2014-15 49.9%
Fenwick in 2013-14 44.3% 2014-15 49.1%

The Oilers better not get McDavid or Eichel.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Corsi is blind to many things. It doesn't do you a lot of good to direct shots at the net if they're crappy, or if guys can just breeze on through your defense. It's useful to measure a players impact relative to his usage, but it is not the be-all, end-all stat people want it to be.

It loses a lot of context when you're talking about a bad team versus a good team, as an example.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Nashville, Tenn. (February 15, 2015) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced Sunday that the team has acquired defenseman Cody Franson and forward Mike Santorelli from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Nashville’s first-round selection in the 2015 Draft, and forwards Brendan Leipsic and Olli Jokinen.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=753452

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think it's interesting because it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Preds to sign Franson, so he'll hit the open market, giving Maloney a run at him. They'll probably sign Santorelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad