Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Ducks are going to be hungry for blueline help after this because they were trying to get Myers. Could work for us.

Yep. Anytime a product becomes more scarce its value will rise. Except if we wait too long. Thats why Vanek was had for a second time for cheap. Snow waited far too long on deadline day. Cant have everyone get the pieces they need but also want the market to get a little thinner. There is a sweet spot, buts its just a matter of pulling the trigger when you are in it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Winnipeg has a spare 1st round pick now if they want Vermette.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of now that kane is gone vermette is the top forward, so a team who was in on kane could go after vermette more aggressively now. Winnipeg would seem to be buyers for a forward now though you're right. I thought they needed wingers more but either way.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would guess something like Gormley, Lessio/Reider/Dauphin, Korpi/Erat, and our 2nd would have been an equivalent package.

I do that easily, assuming Lessio. The virtues of having **** worth trading to other teams. It pays to have a ton of guys in the system.

[NHL]749938[/NHL]

I like Murray's candor. Wish our media was half as good as Buffalo.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think it's safe to say there's now way in HELL we'll get McEichel. What a bummer.

I don't think Buffalo will win the lottery. Why would the NHL reward this? They will get 2nd overall. I still think the Coyotes will "win", just because of past lottery drafts where the team got "lucky" at just the right time. (Pens, Blackhawks)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think it's safe to say there's now way in HELL we'll get McEichel. What a bummer.

There is an 80% chance that a team that is "not Buffalo" wins McDavid. Buffalo was just smart enough to realize there's two prizes, and you're guaranteed one for finishing last.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"Nobody buys into this tanking stuff." - Buffalo GM :sarcasm:

The players absolutely don't, and no management group would ask that of them. Murray has pretty successfully arranged his roster deck so that no other outcome is likely. That's how you do it.

Nearly every thread devolves into people arguing back and forth because they don't understand the difference.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
The players absolutely don't, and no management group would ask that of them. Murray has pretty successfully arranged his roster deck so that no other outcome is likely. That's how you do it.

Nearly every thread devolves into people arguing back and forth because they don't understand the difference.
Well, that would suggest at least one person "buys into this tanking stuff."

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I still think the Coyotes will "win", just because of past lottery drafts where the team got "lucky" at just the right time. (Pens, Blackhawks)

Smith is going to play well enough for the next few months to give us .400 hockey. The leafs are free-falling. We'll finish 24th with a 7.5% chance of getting the first round pick. Mark my words.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Smith is going to play well enough for the next few months to give us .400 hockey. The leafs are free-falling. We'll finish 24th with a 7.5% chance of getting the first round pick. Mark my words.
Mike Smith save % the last 5 games = .953

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I don't understand Buffalo tank talk right now. Is Kane for sure out all season? Is Myers that much better than Bogosian?

Funny hearing that Kane wanted a "change of scenery." Apart from maybe EDM, is any NHL city a better match for the bleakness of WPG than BUF? It's more industrial-bleak instead of farm-bleak, but still ... yuck. Maybe the 3 cities I would least want to play in right there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't understand Buffalo tank talk right now. Is Kane for sure out all season? Is Myers that much better than Bogosian?

Kane is done for up to six months. Had surgery. Season ending. Myers is not that much better than Bogosian. Buffalo just "dumped" Stafford.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

It'll be hilarious if Edmonton finishes last, Buffalo finishes 2nd, and some other team wins the lotto, effectively pushing the Sabres out of McEichel.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Funny hearing that Kane wanted a "change of scenery." Apart from maybe EDM, is any NHL city a better match for the bleakness of WPG than BUF? It's more industrial-bleak instead of farm-bleak, but still ... yuck. Maybe the 3 cities I would least want to play in right there.

I agree that the Kane/Bogo trade isn't a tank move. Immediately I think it's a wash. But healthy and focused Kane accelerates the rebuild.

Enroth for Lindback, however, *is* a tank move.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Haha, we've officially reached the point where we're cheering for EDM to finish last ... poor Jack Eichel :(

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There is an 80% chance that a team that is "not Buffalo" wins McDavid. Buffalo was just smart enough to realize there's two prizes, and you're guaranteed one for finishing last.
This is exactly what they're doing. It's cheesy and ******** but they're going to get away with it. It's the last year anyone can do it too.

I've never once believed they were getting McEichel but I'll be really pissed if they don't end up with Strome, Marner or at least Hanifin!!!

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I still put faith into Uncle Gary. We just need to finish low enough that it isn't TOO outrageous.

Gotta congratulate Buffalo though, they are pulling this off to a tee. Maloney should be taking notes.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

In 2007 the Blackhawk had 8.1% chance to win the lotto. That year they drafted Patrick Kane, 1st overall. At the time, the Blackhawks were a team that needed a quick turn around..like needed to happen yesterday type of turn around. The owner spent $40 million from his own pocket fund payroll. They had the lowest attendance numbers in the NHL

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010

I'd rather be in Buffalo than WPG anyday, not to mention you could easily be in Toronto any off day/night along with easy quick direct flights to other major cities in the northeast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad