Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
0 goals on 24 shots so far. **** yeah! Dubs.

I'm honestly surprised Maloney wasn't able to work future considerations into the deal. At the time, I was just happy he was able to get it done, but I don't think Minnesota would have said no if he wanted the pick to become a 2nd rounder if Dubynk plays x amount of games in the regular season and the Wild make the playoffs. And a first rounder if Dubynyk plays y amount of games in the playoffs and the Wild win the Cup.

Obviously, I don't know if he pushed for this and the Wild said no, but it would have been nice were getting something more than a late third rounder for turning around Minnesota's entire season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He was good here, but he was coming off a meltdown of a season with two teams after which people were doubting he'd find a NHL gig. It was a one-year contract. I'm not sure what you all expected the market to be like.
He didn't have a future here and we turned half a season's pay into an extra draft pick. This is a win-win trade. Should Minnesota have demanded a condition that if he stank up the ice the pick became a 6th? You roll the dice and you take your chances.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
He was good here, but he was coming off a meltdown of a season with two teams after which people were doubting he'd find a NHL gig. It was a one-year contract. I'm not sure what you all expected the market to be like.
He didn't have a future here and we turned half a season's pay into an extra draft pick. This is a win-win trade. Should Minnesota have demanded a condition that if he stank up the ice the pick became a 6th? You roll the dice and you take your chances.
In the context you describe, it was a good deal. I suspect it's just overall frustration of having in our possession a better goalie than the current one we have and giving him up to be a team changer for another team while having to keep a bad goalie because of a bad contract. Dubnyk > 3rd round pick. Dubnyk > Smith. Dubnyk shown the door because Smith's deal is that bad = frustration.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, right, but that's not Minnesota's problem. We did well by getting an asset for him, and if it has helped Smith turn around, that's good too. We're stuck with Smith. Might as well get used to it and hope he recovers.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Am I ever glad we weren't seriously in on the Kane sweepstakes... if this is true, it makes the Leafs fans' OEL trades look sensible.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's official: Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian for Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux, and STL's/NYI's 2015 1st (whichever is lower)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Buffalo's tank makes everyone else's tank look like a Matchbox car.

Kane is effectively out for the rest of the season, but Bogosian for Myers is roughly a wash, Armia and Lemieux are not on the team, and Stafford is a non-factor like Korpi.

Don't think this trade makes the Sabres immediately worse, but once Kane gets healthy it could certainly speed up the rebuild.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Bogo over Myers all things considered, and Kane is ready as soon as next season. Armia and Lemieux and a first for Kane is pretty good return for Kane. More than I would have expected for Winnipeg. Stafford makes the money work.

Glad we didn't pay that price for Kane, but wish we'd do something.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kane is effectively out for the rest of the season, but Bogosian for Myers is roughly a wash, Armia and Lemieux are not on the team, and Stafford is a non-factor like Korpi.

Don't think this trade makes the Sabres immediately worse, but once Kane gets healthy it could certainly speed up the rebuild.

I think it is a great trade for Buffalo.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like Bogo over Myers all things considered, and Kane is ready as soon as next season. Armia and Lemieux and a first for Kane is pretty good return for Kane. More than I would have expected for Winnipeg. Stafford makes the money work.

I would lean towards Bogo as well. Haven't been all that impressed with Myers development since his rookie season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ducks are going to be hungry for blueline help after this because they were trying to get Myers. Could work for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad