Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Vermette+Michalek is a slightly better package than Franson+Santo

So we can expect a 1st, a decent prospect, and a dump.

Not bad.

May have to take a 1st in 2016, since many top teams no longer have a 2015 1st.

That would probably be fine with me, since creating more chances and paths to Matthews should be a high priority for this organization going forward.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That would probably be fine with me, since creating more chances and paths to Matthews should be a high priority for this organization going forward.

>Acquire 3 non playoff first round picks in 2016
>All three are drawn for the first three picks in 2016
>Uncle Gary's double finger salute to sunbelt haters is real
>Coyotes take Matthews, Day, Puljujärvi
>The salute lasts the next decade, chapping many Canadian *****
>All is right in the world.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
>Acquire 3 non playoff first round picks in 2016
>All three are drawn for the first three picks in 2016
>Uncle Gary's double finger salute to sunbelt haters is real
>Coyotes take Matthews, Day, Puljujärvi
>The salute lasts the next decade, chapping many Canadian *****
>All is right in the world.

Let's hope that there is some mechanism in the league that allows a better chance for a local boy to be selected by the appropriate team. It's like way back when Montreal had the first dibs in all of the QMJHL prospects as opposed to the other original 6 teams.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Buffalo vs. New Jersey game tonight is on NBCSN starting at seven. Intriguing for obvious reasons.

Edit: Already started, midway through the second 1-0 NJ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope the Pens and Caps meet in the playoffs, and even more so after watching the above clips.

This could be a really great first round for the NHL. I'm hoping for:

- Pittsburgh vs. Washington
- Islanders vs. Rangers
- Detroit vs. Tampa (Yzerman)
- Montreal vs. Boston

Lightning vs. Panthers could be really fun too, if the Panthers sneak in.

A lot of great battles in the West too: Chi/Stl is one. Preds/Kings could be another.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Stadium series episode 3 is here: https://vid.me/Tqvn

Pavelski taking over the room in the 1st intermission makes his hattrick and the Sharks comeback against the Coyotes a lot sweeter for me. Kinda odd to see Thornton just chilling in the corner while that was going on.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Ovi didn't mean to hurt the guy..it was a missed call for a slash but I don't think Ovi would have done it if he knew that was going to happen. It was funny to see Kunitz and Perron trying to start something but Ovi just laughed in their faces...then laid a nice hit on Kunitz.

It's unfortunate that it happened but I don't fault Ovechkin for Letang's injury.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
CRAZY Boston Edmonton game, Oilers pull it out in a 12 round shootout! :handclap:

Chara slapshot from the hashmarks was pretty funny. Good work Oilers. Good work.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ovi didn't mean to hurt the guy..it was a missed call for a slash but I don't think Ovi would have done it if he knew that was going to happen. It was funny to see Kunitz and Perron trying to start something but Ovi just laughed in their faces...then laid a nice hit on Kunitz.

It's unfortunate that it happened but I don't fault Ovechkin for Letang's injury.
Agreed, it was just one of those plays that can happen in hockey. I have no problem if they call slashing there but I do think it was incidental and not Ovechkin's intent. Penguins blew it way out of proportion and it cost them the came. I hope this is the year the Caps make a serious run. Ovy in the Stanley Cup finals, yes please!!! :handclap:

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
What we have all known for a long time, fun to see it in writing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...--winnipeg-according-to-agents-182227244.html

The main excuse for Arizona is now off the table. If I were a player I'd love to spend my winter, spring and fall in AZ. Heck, as a fan I love to spend my winter, spring and fall in AZ!

As for Canadian cities I'd go with Vancouver, but I imagine players don't like the whole celebrity status which comes with living in a Canadian city. I remember an article about Sam Gagner when he first moved here and how he could go to grocery store in Scottsdale without being hounded by fans.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Most of the winter it rains there, and rains a lot. Having lived in both Calgary and Vancouver, if I was choosing where to live in the winter it would be Calgary. It might get snow and be colder but the sun shines almost everyday. If you have ever lived somewhere like Vancouver where the sun rarely shines for about 4 months in a row you would appreciate being bright everyday. Add in congestion and Vancouver for me is not that desirable.

Edit: I should add that Vancouver is a beautiful city but dark rainy winters are not desirable to me.
Vancouver is amazing, I'm surprised they don't get more interest from players. It would be one of my top 5 destinations as a player.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If I was a young guy starting a career in the NHL I would want to play on a team where hockey is everything. As I became an adult with a family and such I would want to play on a team that gives a better life/work balance that is in a place where winter really doesn't exist. I'm surprised that anyone would ever leave the Coyotes if the team gives them a chance to stay. It's a dream city to live and play in. And they get to leave for summer which seems to be the least desirable time to be there.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
What we have all known for a long time, fun to see it in writing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...--winnipeg-according-to-agents-182227244.html

The main excuse for Arizona is now off the table. If I were a player I'd love to spend my winter, spring and fall in AZ. Heck, as a fan I love to spend my winter, spring and fall in AZ!

As for Canadian cities I'd go with Vancouver, but I imagine players don't like the whole celebrity status which comes with living in a Canadian city. I remember an article about Sam Gagner when he first moved here and how he could go to grocery store in Scottsdale without being hounded by fans.

According to Custance, the runners-up are: New Jersey, Florida (“Guys don’t like going to a place where the building is empty and they can’t winâ€), Arizona (“Phoenix has been somewhat common, partially because of the instability of ownership the last few yearsâ€).

Still pretty high on the NTC list so I wouldn't go thinking we're in the clear as a 'destination spot' as Nash so loves to spout.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
2 points for the Oilers last night in possibly the worst shootout I've ever seen. Both teams were awful, half the shots weren't even on net, a bunch of stickhandling failures. Took 12 rounds for someone to actually score a goal, and even that goal looked like the skater lost the puck and it dribbled through Rask's 5 hole.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Every team does a fathers trip, as far as I know. The running joke was that, due to Maloney's insistence on bloodline picks, he was actually attempting to assemble the GOAT fathers trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad