Around the NHL 2014-15, Part II - Stanley Cup Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
yea san antonio is considerably closer than portland

Actually the difference in distance isn't that much. At least Porland is in the eastern timezone with them.

You guys are aware that the Pirates play in Portland Maine, not Portland Oregon right?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You guys are aware that the Pirates play in Portland Maine, not Portland Oregon right?

Oh, damn, guess I'll have to reschedule my poetry reading at my favorite bookstore.

AuQZL-HCQAI8w82.jpg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Do they even have the cap space to keep him though?

Yeah assuming he only takes a slight raise to something like $6.5M or $6.75M a year, that still makes him their most expensive D man by about a million bucks, and he is on their 3rd pair. Doesn't make much sense to spend all that cap on a guy who isn't eating a ton of minutes for your team. Also guys like Orlov, Schmidt, and eventually Bowey will need more permanent spots on the team. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Mike Green wants to stay with the Capitals : http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/green-wants-capital-day-die/

Barring a July 1st miracle, I guess he won't be signing with the Red Wings.

I don't think the caps are going to want to sink big $$ in a guy they have playing on their 3rd pairing. My guess is he'd could probably get a 7x7 offer in free agency if there's a bidding war and I honestly don't think the Caps would want to spend more than 4 or 5 on him when they have Niskanen, Orpik, and Carlson locked up for awhile (and as ES metioned they have some youngins coming up too) So if he wants to take that home town discount he could potentially be leaving 14-21 million dollars on the table in what will almost definitely be his last big payday. IMO if he's a Capital next season someone has made a big mistake, either the GM for overpaying him or Green for leaving considerable money on the table.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Mike Green wants to stay with the Capitals : http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/green-wants-capital-day-die/

Barring a July 1st miracle, I guess he won't be signing with the Red Wings.

Barring career underpayment and/or organizational mayhem, most players who have spent their entire career in one place want to stay. Green isn't going to get some ungodly raise in free agency - he's gotten a pretty payday already. There also aren't any sure-fire Cup contenders anymore; he has plenty of reasons to believe Washington is on the upswing and has as good a chance as most. DC also has some great suburbs. I'm not at all shocked he wants to stay.

But does Washington want him? Niskanen and Orpik are locked in to fat contracts for the next several years and Carlson has bloomed offensively. Not sure what his contract status is but he's become a $5M+ player quite easily this year. I think Washington could very well look at Green as a luxury at this point and may put him on the back-burner to address more pressing issues upfront.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The Sens keep on winning. They beat Bruins head to head and Are now 2 points behind them with a game in hand.

Interesting that both the SC winner and the PT winner Are now battling fot a playoff spot.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Basically they will decide the last spot in the playoffs. I'm not sure if I want the Bruins to be out of the playoffs more or the Sens to actuallt make the playoffs. My keeper pool says Bruins, but my heart says Senators.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Don't wanna get spanked for the 2nd time in a row by the Bruins.

Last edited by a moderator:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Sens keep on winning. They beat Bruins head to head and Are now 2 points behind them with a game in hand.

Interesting that both the SC winner and the PT winner Are now battling fot a playoff spot.

Talk about getting hot at the right time, amazing run they're on. Beating Boston last night says a lot.

What do RW fans think of St. Louis heading toward PO's? I've happened to see a few of their games this last month...vs. Tampa, the Leafs, and Calgary. Impressive wins. I am really liking their chances. Every year is supposedly "their year" but they look poised. The West seems difficult to pick a favorite but I'm putting the Blues up there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm hoping to see Florida pull it off and make the playoffs. I just don't care for Ottawa, and can go either way with Boston. I like the team Florida is putting together, though.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
What do RW fans think of St. Louis heading toward PO's? I've happened to see a few of their games this last month...vs. Tampa, the Leafs, and Calgary. Impressive wins. I am really liking their chances. Every year is supposedly "their year" but they look poised. The West seems difficult to pick a favorite but I'm putting the Blues up there.

Hard to say. Yet again they make a great impression during the regular season. But teams like the Hawks and the Kings just know when it's about time to start playing and how to strike back,
when it comes to the playoffs. Not really sure if the Blues developed any further to avoid another first round exist like last year.
That's up to the match-ups and how much they learnt from previous experiences I guess.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I've liked them for a long time and keep thinking it's their year but they looked like they couldn't even hang with the Wild today

I know everyone has their off day though

Parity has made this league unknowable

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just read the Rags are giving up 1 GAA since acquiring Yandle. He's been on the ice for 1 EVS goal against. So much for the experts talking about what a disaster he is in his own end. Good for them though, that team is looking fantastic right now.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Just read the Rags are giving up 1 GAA since acquiring Yandle. He's been on the ice for 1 EVS goal against. So much for the experts talking about what a disaster he is in his own end. Good for them though, that team is looking fantastic right now.

he also has only point.

either he transformed into shutdown D or 9 game sample is insufficient to draw conclusions like that.

quincey has had stretch like that this season and at least one similar stretch last season. same with jakub kindl.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
he also has only point.

either he transformed into shutdown D or 9 game sample is insufficient to draw conclusions like that.

quincey has had stretch like that this season and at least one similar stretch last season. same with jakub kindl.

Last I checked, their possession numbers have improved substantially during this small sample size, though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Last I checked, their possession numbers have improved substantially during this small sample size, though.

i'd expect that, yandle can drive it.

edit. per war-on-ice, they have SA corsi of 50.6 % since march 1 (traded for yandle that day, played the next day) and normal corsi of 47.7%. they were 51.4% and 50.5% from start of the season till march 1st.

smallish sample though.

and yandle's individual numbers are legit.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Exactly right. So he's not the crappy defender he was made out to be and the Rangers possession numbers have been great. Listen, if he's been on the ice for 1 EVS goal against over a stretch that comprises more than 10% of an NHL season that's a pretty clear sign that playing on a ****** team hurt his overall performance. Same thing was true with Tyler Myers who is putting up a bunch of points for Winnipeg.

But nope, neither of these guys were worth trading for. :shakehead

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Exactly right. So he's not the crappy defender he was made out to be and the Rangers possession numbers have been great. Listen, if he's been on the ice for 1 EVS goal against over a stretch that comprises more than 10% of an NHL season that's a pretty clear sign that playing on a ****** team hurt his overall performance. Same thing was true with Tyler Myers who is putting up a bunch of points for Winnipeg.

But nope, neither of these guys were worth trading for. :shakehead

source on those great possession numbers for rangers? everyone knew he can drive possession well

myers has still pretty meh possession numbers when he's been in a jet. he's just produced like a top 6 F 5on5 (at least was while ago). which is mostly luck as even karlsson doesn't produce that well.

we would still have issues on this team even if had traded for those players and also significantly gut our future.

didn't you also want to trade 1st rounder (+?) for franson?

guess who has as good goal differential as yandle since TDL, 7 more points in one more game and way, way better possession numbers?

hint: kenny traded conditional 3rd rounder for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad