Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
To be fair that isn't a super bad insult. I pretty much have the same opinion. We didn't do as well as we should have. Less than the sum of its parts

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Also to be fair to Dougie, it wasn't his fault the 3rd d-pairing was awful and Brodie-Hamonic didn't mesh/Brodie playing on his wrong side.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I heard the clip on the radio. Didn't sound like a jab at all. Sounded like he was mentioning that as his failure, too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It was in response to being asked about how great the Canes' d-core looked on paper, and how he could play with anyone and it could be a good pairing. That was his reply. Basically saying it's not good enough to have that on paper, they need to go out and actually play well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It was in response to being asked about how great the Canes' d-core looked on paper, and how he could play with anyone and it could be a good pairing. That was his reply. Basically saying it's not good enough to have that on paper, they need to go out and actually play well.

I think the part that's mostly the jab, is the fact he's talking about team chemistry and not being 'good', on a team he's left. Guys who leave or get traded, rarely end up talking about their old team. You get some "Well, it just didn't work out, I'm happy to be with the new team." You rarely, if ever get "We were suppose to be really good, but we weren't good."

Like, even at the TDL when bad teams trade their good players you get "I'm happy to be back in the race." Maybe you get the "It was tough not being in the picture" type comments... but overall it's just something that's not really done in hockey.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What I find funny is even when Nashville weren't a playoff team hf considered them to be a god sent defensive team. Even when the Flames make the playoffs, hf still brings up "4 #1Dman!" to antagonize the Flames. It's just weird how when we don't make the playoffs because of worst timing goaltending implosion, unsustainably bad luck in shooting percentages, terrible line decisions, and poor special teams, our defense gets antagonized the most.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What I find funny is even when Nashville weren't a playoff team hf considered them to be a god sent defensive team. Even when the Flames make the playoffs, hf still brings up "4 #1Dman!" to antagonize the Flames. It's just weird how when we don't make the playoffs because of worst timing goaltending implosion, unsustainably bad luck in shooting percentages, terrible line decisions, and poor special teams, our defense gets antagonized the most.

Couldn't be because we have certain posters that like to scream at the top of their lungs on the main boards about how Brodie is a Norris caliber D-Man. No sir.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Couldn't be because we have certain posters that like to scream at the top of their lungs on the main boards about how Brodie is a Norris caliber D-Man. No sir.

I mean, to be fair, every posting group has got some absolute jabroni's.
That's why Leaf fans get a horrid wrap (a lot deserved) because they just by sheer number have the biggest jabrone group on HF. According to them, they've got 3 #1C's, 2 top pairing D's, 1 in the making in Dermott, 2 top 10 wingers and a top 3 goalie. Every fanbase has their idiots.

What really bothers me is when people just BS and won't back anything up. Calgary's defence sucks LOLOLOL. Okay. But why? Our defence was one of the best shot suppressors in the NHL, one of the best possession teams in the NHL, one of the best chance reduction teams in the NHL. Maybe it's deeper than our defence? Maybe it was because we scored like 30 goals less than league average this past season? Maybe it was because when Smith went down goaltending went back to the level we're accustomed to?

Much easier to do that LOLOL 4 #1D's!!! Hahaha.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the part that's mostly the jab, is the fact he's talking about team chemistry and not being 'good', on a team he's left. Guys who leave or get traded, rarely end up talking about their old team. You get some "Well, it just didn't work out, I'm happy to be with the new team." You rarely, if ever get "We were suppose to be really good, but we weren't good."

Like, even at the TDL when bad teams trade their good players you get "I'm happy to be back in the race." Maybe you get the "It was tough not being in the picture" type comments... but overall it's just something that's not really done in hockey.

Eh, it seems like you may be trying to find something there that isn't there. I think if he wanted to take a shot, he would have said something that isn't self-deprecating as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Main boards is a terrible place. I think it was Hox who once greatly compared it to an Ex that he would keep going back to see despite having the foresight that he would live to totally regret his decision

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No one on the mainboards avtually watches the Flames except for the Oilers and Canucks fans and the handful of Cali fans. And the former group are biased against us much like many of us are towards them sooo

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Like, I know you’re trying to be funny. But when your opinions are s outlandish and ridiculous as yours are. The joke doesn’t seem very funny. Because I almost feel like you believe that

LOL

It was just meant as a fun joke but it isn't that far from the truth, both have talented NHL stars for brothers, both are very good athletes in their own right and both are guys you don't want on your NHL roster.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
LOL

It was just meant as a fun joke but it isn't that far from the truth, both have talented NHL stars for brothers, both are very good athletes in their own right and both are guys you don't want on your NHL roster.

Did you watch the summer showcase, or last year’s WJC? The guy dominates against his peers. He is a special talent. And just like his brother went through (certain major publications had each guy ranked in the mid teens) people think he’s a goon and therefor has no skill. Which is simply not true.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did you watch the summer showcase, or last year’s WJC? The guy dominates against his peers. He is a special talent. And just like his brother went through (certain major publications had each guy ranked in the mid teens) people think he’s a goon and therefor has no skill. Which is simply not true.

Yes I did and he didn't come close to dominating in either event.

He is not close to a special talent and if his name was Brady Johnson he would have been a 10-20 pick instead of top 5. People see his brother and think he can do the same things even though the numbers and play show that he is not at that level at all.

I don't think he is a goon at all I just see a guy that can't produce and doesn't have the talent of his brother but keeps getting compared to him simply because of the name.

He may be able to have a career as a mid six guy but he doesn't have close to top line talent or the upside of Matthew.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Draft -1 season: 23 points in 24 games in the USHL. (Very good production)... Boeser for example had 4 points in 8 games

WJC - draft eligible - 9 points in 7 games against older kids (pretty impressive when comparing to other draft eligible players who usually struggle in that tournament)

Boston College 31 points in 40 games. Literally only Eichel has had a better offensive season as a draft eligible player playing in the NCAA (and he’s in hockey east the SEC of college hockey). For example Johnny was a point per game in his first season yet that was his draft - 1 season. Does anyone question Mittlestadt even though he’s older, in a worse league and was at like .5 Ppg until after the WJC when he started to take off.

But yes, he can’t produce...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Draft -1 season: 23 points in 24 games in the USHL. (Very good production)... Boeser for example had 4 points in 8 games

WJC - draft eligible - 9 points in 7 games against older kids (pretty impressive when comparing to other draft eligible players who usually struggle in that tournament)

Boston College 31 points in 40 games. Literally only Eichel has had a better offensive season as a draft eligible player playing in the NCAA (and he’s in hockey east the SEC of college hockey). For example Johnny was a point per game in his first season yet that was his draft - 1 season. Does anyone question Mittlestadt even though he’s older, in a worse league and was at like .5 Ppg until after the WJC when he started to take off.

But yes, he can’t produce...

So are you saying any player that has good, not great offensive production at a young age is going to have success at the NHL level?

Is it not possible that sometimes those numbers don't translate?

I mean I know he would be the first player in the history of the WJC tournament to have a good, again not close to great, tournament and not turn out at the NHL level but it might just be possible.

As for the MIttlestadt question I certainly question him at the NHL level.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So are you saying any player that has good, not great offensive production at a young age is going to have success at the NHL level?

Is it not possible that sometimes those numbers don't translate?

I mean I know he would be the first player in the history of the WJC tournament to have a good, again not close to great, tournament and not turn out at the NHL level but it might just be possible.

As for the MIttlestadt question I certainly question him at the NHL level.

Honestly when I watch Brady the eye test says he’s a stud. And that’s the only eye test I need. I admit his offensive totals in college are not eye popping. But if a prospect is expected to put up eye popping numbers in hockey east as draft eligible player, then you are looking at a first overall caliber player. IE Jack Eichel... or what I assume Jack Hughes will do this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad