Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't see him 'bouncing back', for him to bounce back at this point would really be more against the grain for players of his mold, at this point in his career. It's not a coincidence that everyone and their dog saw his decline coming from a mile away.

I also don't but the undisclosed injury bit at all, the Oilers were well out of it by the deadline yet Lucic played all 82 games.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Neither do I, sincerely doubt Lucic ever eclipses 50 points again. Slow in every sense of the word. Slow skater, slow hands, slow brain, slow defense, and slow playmaking. McLellan would be wise to take him off McDavid or Drai's line at even strength and let him muck around on the 3rd. Maybe he gets some PP production banging in rebounds but the days of him being a good top 6 option are done IMO, too many plays die on his stick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Really if Lucic played with McDavid and stood in front of the net, he should be able to get 20 goals with his eyes closed. Then he just needs a defensively responsible speedster on his other wing.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Leon Draisaitl confident Oilers can return to playoffs next season - Sportsnet.ca

Master blowhard, Mark Spector and the rest of the cronies around Edmonton are really highlighted on Sportsnet. Meanwhile in Calgary there is nothing but crickets.

This is the year where I think Connor finds out how little depth Edmonton has and despite his talent Edmonton misses the playoffs ... again.
Bang on with that I think. You have McJesus and Drai, and then a cast of nobodies supporting them. They’d need Talbot to play godly and Nurse to take massive strides to even get some form of playoff hope.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Oh PS.

Chiarelli and McLellan lose their jobs by Christmas.

Nicholson then recruits Mark Hunter as GM who Hires Keefe.

Hunter Declares the cupboards as bare and is restricted by bad contracts. Trades Draisaitl for 5 picks, Lucic and Rattie for a bag of pucks (cost of unloading bad contracts), Strome for 2 seconds, Russell for 2 seconds, and Talbot for a first.

Oilers draft Lafrenière in 2020 claiming he is the future of the franchise. Unlike previous rebuilds Hunter uses his experience in Toronto to put together a formidable team for the 2025 season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not sure why Vancouver would have to offer that wouldn't hurt their rebuild

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That would be a very bad choice for Vancouver to do.

Depends on the cost and if he resigns.

If the cost is Juolevi, a 1st (you know Ottawa wants one of those back in the higher level) and some other junk, then I really don't think it's a horrible trade (if he signs).

Starting a team with:
Horvat (23) - 2C
Pettersson (19) - 1C/1LW/1RW
Boeser (21) - 1RW
Karlsson (28) - 1RD

Really isn't a bad way to reload on the fly, especially if the cupboard includes:
Quinn Hugher (18)
Thatcher Demko (22)
Jonathan Dahlen (20)

He's on the right side of thirty, and you could really shoot yourself into the next level pretty quick. I think it'd be a very fast turnaround.

Then again, that first round pick could be the better Hughes brother.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Depends on the cost and if he resigns.

If the cost is Juolevi, a 1st (you know Ottawa wants one of those back in the higher level) and some other junk, then I really don't think it's a horrible trade (if he signs).

Why would Ottawa make that terrible deal and why would Karlsson want to re-sign with Vancouver?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think you've really got to look at the deals that Dorion has made thus far and ask yourself if you think he is capable of getting proper value back for Karlsson. I think the answer is an easy no. However, Jim Benning.

"Well, to be honest Jim, I think that this Pettersson kid might be an overpayment."
"Listen here Pierre, you're going to take this kid and be happy about it."
"Hmm, well, sure, what else can we put together?"
"You better not ask for my first rounder."
"I think the fans might be pissed if I don't get a first r-"
"Okay done, first rounder added in there."

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Why would Ottawa make that terrible deal and why would Karlsson want to re-sign with Vancouver?
They have an IMO pretty solid young core including the hottest Swedish forward prospect in ages joining the team. I think they have bottomed out in their rebuild and will improve in the coming years. Also Vancouver is just a very nice city to live in and he'll have the Sedins, Naslund, Sundin, Edler etc. telling him that.

As for what it would take to land him, I think Juolevi and picks, lots and lots of picks.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They have an IMO pretty solid young core including the hottest Swedish forward prospect in ages joining the team. I think they have bottomed out in their rebuild and will improve in the coming years. Also Vancouver is just a very nice city to live in and he'll have the Sedins, Naslund, Sundin, Edler etc. telling him that.

As for what it would take to land him, I think Juolevi and picks, lots and lots of picks.

Juolevi has a lot of questions about him and has lost some shine since being drafted and picks are pretty dicey especially when you just gave that team karlsson.

I think Ottawa needs to (and should be able to) get a lot more than a bunch of maybes for Karlsson. I have to think they are looking for something a lot better than Juolevi coming back as the main piece for Karlsson.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think this might be the bottom-out year. It's just hard to see where the offence will come from. They will have good young players, but they will be relying on those guys as primary options instead of insulating them, which isn't a recipe for success. But after this year they could definitely start the climb.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Florida signed Brouwer.

Why? I have no idea. RIP Panther powerplay.

Dale Tallon is the GM. He’s going to try and rekindle that 2009 Troy Brouwer magic. That one that hasn’t existed in a decade.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Since the '16 playoffs is a decade?

Always great to pay someone for a dozen and a half games worth of their work. You by chance Ville Leino’s Agent or something?

The last time Troy Brouwer was an impact player during the season was that long ago.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Always great to pay someone for a dozen and a half games worth of their work. You by chance Ville Leino’s Agent or something?

The last time Troy Brouwer was an impact player during the season was that long ago.
They paid him for a career at a 35 to 45 point pace. And what impact player can you get for 4.5 million as a UFA? None that I've seen in over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad