Around the League v2: Everyone Is Getting Fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
VGK once again at the top of the Western Conference standings- totally outplayed the Kings tonight- it would be fun to watch them do it again this year?

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Anybody watch the Spangler cup? Could Kevin Biaska be the answers to our D and grit problems.
Watched the Spengler Cup. Bieska played well, but that hockey isn't NHL level. At 37, he's basically Ron Hainsey, part II.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anybody watch the Spangler cup? Could Kevin Biaska be the answers to our D and grit problems.
I thought the Leafs would give him a look at camp. Perhaps they still might, he would definately add some grit down low.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes.

Hopefully we maintain home ice, its going to be important

6 points up, a game in hand and the remaining game with Boston is at home. Also, the Leafs haven’t lost more than 3 in a row this year.

Boston has its full line up. Should be an interesting race.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Since his name got brought up in the prospects thread, given the Oilers recent strange moves, kind of wild that they didn’t offer Franson a contract at some point.

He’s probably close to at least replacement level in terms of defensive ability even though he’s not a great skater, and he can move the puck at least

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Watched the Spengler Cup. Bieska played well, but that hockey isn't NHL level. At 37, he's basically Ron Hainsey, part II.

Hainsey is capably playing top pairing minutes, and is a +22.

Not saying his +22 means he is a #1 defenseman, but I’m happy with what he brings, considering perfect defensemen don’t grow on trees. Kevin Bieksa is a physical beast, and an exceptional fighter. If he was still capable of playing at the level of Hainsey, I would be more than glad to bring him on board for the remainder of the season. However, from what I read on the Anaheim board month ago, bieksa seemingly lost all ability to play hockey last season. For this reason I do not think he is comparable to Hainsey.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
So you're telling me Colorado might not be just a 1 line team next season possibly?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's nuts that COL is going to have a very good chance of getting Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
NHL All-Star Game rosters revealed

Pavelski, Karlsson, Burns from host Sharks among those named to Jan. 26 event

by Tom Gulitti @TomGulittiNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
NHL All-Star Game rosters revealed

cut.jpg

The San Jose Sharks will be well represented as the host team of the 2019 Honda NHL All-Star Game at SAP Center on Jan. 26 (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS).
Sharks forward Joe Pavelski and defensemen Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns were named to the Pacific Division All-Star Team by the NHL Hockey Operations Department on Wednesday.
Karlsson and Burns each will be making his sixth All-Stare Game appearance. This will be Karlsson's first with the Sharks after he was acquired in a trade with the Ottawa Senators on Sept. 13.
[Complete NHL All-Star Game coverage]
Burns is second in the NHL among defensemen with 40 points (six goals, 34 assists), behind Morgan Reilly of the Toronto Maple Leafs (44 points). Karlsson is tied with Keith Yandle of the Florida Panthers, who was selected to the Atlantic Division All-Star Team, for seventh among defenseman with 32 points.
Pavelski, who leads the Sharks and is tied with Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning for ninth in the League with 23 goals, was chosen for his third All-Star Game.
San Jose is the only team with three players selected for the All-Star Game.
The reigning Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals will have two players on the Metropolitan Division team, defenseman John Carlson and goalie Braden Holtby.
Other teams with two players selected for the All-Star Game are the Columbus Blue Jackets (forward Cam Atkinson, defenseman Seth Jones) in the Metropolitan Division, the Tampa Bay Lightning (forwards Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos) and the Toronto Maple Leafs (forwards Auston Matthews and John Tavares) in the Atlantic Division, and the Colorado Avalanche (forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen), Winnipeg Jets (forwards Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler) and Nashville Predators (defenseman Roman Josi and goalie Pekka Rinne) in the Central Division.
Carlson, Rantanen and Scheifele are among 10 players that will be skating in their first All-Star Game. Also in that group is Vancouver Canucks forward Elias Pettersson, who leads NHL rookies with 19 goals and 39 points.
Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane will skate in his eighth All-Star Game, the most among players in this year's game.
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Sidney Crosby will make his fourth appearance, including three straight.
Eight of the top 10 in the League in points were selected: Kucherov (65), Rantanen (62), MacKinnon (59), Edmonton Oilers forward Connor McDavid (58), Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau (55), Wheeler (50), Kane (50) and Boston Bruins forward David Pastrnak (50). Not chosen were Maple Leafs forward Mitchell Marner (54 points) and Point (52).
Matthews (Atlantic), MacKinnon (Central) and McDavid (Pacific) are fan-voted captains. Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin was voted captain of the Metropolitan Division but announced Wednesday that he will skip the All-Star Game to rest in preparation for the remainder of the season.
One remaining spot in each division will be filled through the 2019 NHL All-Star Last Men In presented by adidas fan vote. Players eligible for the Last Men In vote will be revealed on NBCSN during the first intermission of its telecast of the game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers, and on Sportsnet during the first intermission of its telecast of the game between the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators.
The coach of the team with the highest points percentage in each division at the halfway point of the regular season will coach their division's All-Star team.
The 2019 NHL All-Star Skills competition will take place at SAP Center on Jan. 25 (9 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS), one day before the game.
Here are the rosters:
Atlantic Division (All-Star appearance)

F Jack Eichel, BUF (2nd)
F Nikita Kucherov, TBL (3rd)
F * Auston Matthews, TOR (3rd)
F David Pastrnak, BOS (1st)
F Steven Stamkos, TBL (6th)
F John Tavares, TOR (6th)
D Thomas Chabot, OTT (1st)
D Keith Yandle, FLA (3rd)
G Jimmy Howard, DET (2nd)
G Carey Price, MTL (7th)
Metropolitan Division (All-Star appearance)

F Sebastian Aho, CAR (1st)
F Cam Atkinson, CBJ (2nd)
F Mathew Barzal, NYI (1st)
F Sidney Crosby, PIT (4th)
F Claude Giroux, PHI (6th)
F Taylor Hall, NJD (3rd)
D John Carlson, WSH (1st)
D Seth Jones, CBJ (2nd)
G Braden Holtby, WSH (4th)
G Henrik Lundqvist, NYR (5th)
Central Division (All-Star appearance)

F Patrick Kane, CHI (8th)
F * Nathan MacKinnon, COL (3rd)
F Ryan O'Reilly, STL (2nd)
F Mikko Rantanen, COL (1st)
F Mark Scheifele, WPG (1st)
F Blake Wheeler, WPG (2nd)
D Miro Heiskanen, DAL (1st)
D Roman Josi, NSH (2nd)
G Devan Dubnyk, MIN (3rd)
G Pekka Rinne, NSH (3rd)
Pacific Division (All-Star appearance)

F Johnny Gaudreau, CGY (5th)
F Clayton Keller, ARI (1st)
F * Connor McDavid, EDM (3rd)
F Joe Pavelski, SJS (3rd)
F Elias Pettersson, VAN (1st)
D Brent Burns, SJS (6th)
D Drew Doughty, LAK (5th)
D Erik Karlsson, SJS (6th)
G Marc-Andre Fleury, VGK (4th)
G John Gibson, ANA (2nd)
* Fan-elected captain

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hainsey is capably playing top pairing minutes, and is a +22.

Not saying his +22 means he is a #1 defenseman, but I’m happy with what he brings, considering perfect defensemen don’t grow on trees. Kevin Bieksa is a physical beast, and an exceptional fighter. If he was still capable of playing at the level of Hainsey, I would be more than glad to bring him on board for the remainder of the season. However, from what I read on the Anaheim board month ago, bieksa seemingly lost all ability to play hockey last season. For this reason I do not think he is comparable to Hainsey.
I wasn't necessarily being critical of either Bieksa or Hainsey. Hainsey is playing well, but you also have to consider that he is playing beside possibly the best defenceman in the league, and he is getting up in age, and certainly looked like he ran out of steam last year. Those were my main points - older player possibly looking better than he really is because of who he is playing with and/or against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad