Around the League Thread | Stacey’s Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Things would have been massively different had they re-signed Pietrangelo to a retirement contract. Instead, they spent their wad on a mediocre Torey Krug.

Another misstep was taking on that Hayes contract.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the decision to give retirement contracts to everyone and their dog associated with that 2019 team and Krug and Faulk but not their captain/1D/best player is the most bizarre management error I’ve seen in the cap era. Basically ended their contending window and I’ve never seen any sort of real explanation for it other than ‘giant mistake’.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

This is an incredible admission of personal failure. Especially from a guy that won their only Stanley Cup.

Unusually candid, but correct.

He pretty much made endless missteps after the Cup win. The roster now is anchored with retirement contracts to meh defenseman, and the core of their team (Thomas/Kyrou/Buch) are not contender-level.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

This is an incredible admission of personal failure. Especially from a guy that won their only Stanley Cup.

managing through a one and done stanley cup win by a core with flaws might be the biggest challenge you could give a gm, but even with that handicap acknowledged it is bizarre that he managed to lose the two key pieces of that win in pietrangelo and o'reilly, yet tied up the out of nowhere goalie longterm along with the second tier guys.

also, sidebar, but does anyone have any insight nto why ror as a "character guy "conn smythe winner is such a rolling stone? he seems like the middle six centre every team craves.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Early rumour was they wanted Chiarelli. That seemed to die on the vine. There's been a lot of GMs fired over the last couple of years: Jim Benning, Ron Hextall, Bob Murray, Marc Bergevin, and Chuck Fletcher. Part of the problem is that all those guys suck in various ways.

There's always the option to go for a hot-shot AGM somewhere but given Staios' lack of experience, I think they'll bring in someone with experience.

He could hire Brian Burke in some capacity. Burke hired Staios in a development role with the Leafs. I think that was his first post-playing job?

In terms of AGMs, Jeff Kealty was bypassed for the GM job in Nashville but he's been a Predators lifer.

What about nepo coaching hires? Any ideas? Maybe Jay McKee?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He could hire Brian Burke in some capacity. Burke hired Staios in a development role with the Leafs. I think that was his first post-playing job?

In terms of AGMs, Jeff Kealty was bypassed for the GM job in Nashville but he's been a Predators lifer.

What about nepo coaching hires? Any ideas? Maybe Jay McKee?

Burke is a possibility. I forgot about Staios early career work with him.

Coaching is usually much harder to predict. Usually is some connection but we don't realize that guys were teammates in the AHL or something until the names start popping up in the media.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I’ve mentioned this before, but the decision to give retirement contracts to everyone and their dog associated with that 2019 team and Krug and Faulk but not their captain/1D/best player is the most bizarre management error I’ve seen in the cap era. Basically ended their contending window and I’ve never seen any sort of real explanation for it other than ‘giant mistake’.
Armstrong doesn’t do NMC’s

I believe the bonus structure AP wanted was another issue

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I don't get the Faulk trade and resigning to this day. You just telegraphed to him that you already replaced him. The only way it makes sense is if St Louis knew Pietrangelo wasn't coming back, which isn't very likely. St Louis had recently won a cup and had a decade run of making the playoffs pretty much every year. I also don't remember there being any smoke of him wanting out like you sometimes see in these situations.

St Louis is now in a near San Jose bad cap situation. Doesn't help that one of the prime aged forwards they gave a 8m contract to has regressed and underperformed. It will be interesting to see what that do with Buch

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Blues are one point out of a wild card spot..Seems an odd time to fire the coach... given the roster they have.?

Berube is a good coach, and I don't think there's any doubt he's going to get job offers..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Armstrong doesn’t do NMC’s

I believe the bonus structure AP wanted was another issue
That should then go to Ownership and Armstrong can present his apprehension on doing the NMC and bonuses. Up to the owners at that point to greenlight it or not. That's why on the main boards I posted both GM and Owner on the AP decision. Talking best player here, so owner should be involved to give the ok on something the GM is hesitant to give to the player or he agrees with the GM and says, no let's not do that.

Big decision like that, can't just leave it with the GM.

AP at $9 mill plus a $4 mill Dman or Krug/Faulk at $6.5 mill each?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Burke is a possibility. I forgot about Staios early career work with him.

Coaching is usually much harder to predict. Usually is some connection but we don't realize that guys were teammates in the AHL or something until the names start popping up in the media.
Jason Botterill is a one-time teammate of Staios. Luongo is a WC teammate of Staios and can speak French with the owner.

Burrows as a dark horse? :thumbu:

Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

i don't think pietrangelo ever intended on resigning with st louis. they offered him more money, longer term, better bonus structure and caved on basically all his demands and he still signed in vegas. maybe they could have gotten his name on an extension earlier but i think he just wanted out

Reactions: Hodgy

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i was going to make a joke about him being 'in the room' - but that isn't funny

considering the circumstances under which guerin left pittsburgh you have to imagine he did something uniquely terrible

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
i don't think pietrangelo ever intended on resigning with st louis. they offered him more money, longer term, better bonus structure and caved on basically all his demands and he still signed in vegas. maybe they could have gotten his name on an extension earlier but i think he just wanted out
St. Louis wouldn’t give him his NMC though

Same reason Markstrom didn’t re-sign with us

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
St. Louis wouldn’t give him his NMC though

Same reason Markstrom didn’t re-sign with us
At least Van had Demko which is why they didn't want to give him that. Blues, if not AP, they went to Krug & Faulk. I mean, there are worse ways to spend $13 mill in cap besides AP and a $3-4 mill Dman and Krug/Faulk combo.

I mean, talking about a guy who married someone from STL and has triplets. Kind of screams, wanting family stability if the in-laws are close by to help the spouse out with the triplets.

At worst, try to give him one of the 2. SB or NMC. He'd probably take the NMC.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
At least Van had Demko which is why they didn't want to give him that. Blues, if not AP, they went to Krug & Faulk. I mean, there are worse ways to spend $13 mill in cap besides AP and a $3-4 mill Dman and Krug/Faulk combo.

I mean, talking about a guy who married someone from STL and has triplets. Kind of screams, wanting family stability if the in-laws are close by to help the spouse out with the triplets.

Would have been such an auto yes from me to give him one and i loathe them

Guy was a stud from day 1 and still is

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

I'm sure to some degree, Parayko (who was 27 at the time) was there version of Demko. If you asked St. Louis fans back then, the idea that Parayko > AP wasn't an uncommon one. Management might've felt the same way and didn't want to lock themselves into AP with an NMC the same way we did not want to lock ourselves into Markstrom with an NMC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure to some degree, Parayko (who was 27 at the time) was there version of Demko. If you asked St. Louis fans back then, the idea that Parayko > AP wasn't an uncommon one. Management might've felt the same way and didn't want to lock themselves into AP with an NMC the same way we did not want to lock ourselves into Markstrom with an NMC.
This was 2020 off-season, since I recall he was 30 when his deal was up. A year removed from the Cup win. Have to rewind 3 years and think where they were and what they expected to be in the 3-5 years moving forward.

ROR was going to be 32 as a UFA this past off-season. Tank, an older 31 with a late birthday. If they were thinking to re-load, think signing Schenn in Oct 2019 didn't make sense with that reload thinking.

Ideal world you have a LD and RD, as your 2 top guys ala Hawks/Preds did, but not the end of the world if they play on the same side. Top 4 ensures at least 1 of them is on for 45-48 minutes a game.

Oh well.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
This was 2020 off-season, since I recall he was 30 when his deal was up. A year removed from the Cup win. Have to rewind 3 years and think where they were and what they expected to be in the 3-5 years moving forward.

ROR was going to be 32 as a UFA this past off-season. Tank, an older 31 with a late birthday. If they were thinking to re-load, think signing Schenn in Oct 2019 didn't make sense with that reload thinking.

Ideal world you have a LD and RD, as your 2 top guys ala Hawks/Preds did, but not the end of the world if they play on the same side. Top 4 ensures at least 1 of them is on for 45-48 minutes a game.

Oh well.
with the flat cap, probably didn't want to be in a position where they're paying AP 9+mil and potentially Parayko 9+mil too if he did end up replacing AP as the #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad