Around the League Thread | Stacey’s Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be fair, if Patrick didn't have a migraine disorder he might have become a 70-PPG right-shot power C or at least a Bo Horvat type.
I mean, Patrick, is a who knows situation. He was 4 days away from the 2016 draft. I have a feeling that had he been born earlier and been eligible in 2016, if he's on the board, Benning drafts him. I mean, he really liked PLD. Similar sized C.

Had he been drafted, would have had access to that team's medical staff (assuming he signs right away) and they can get him the surgery on both legs as that was one of the issues he had as that he only got surgery on one side, but turns out he needed it on both.

Then his migraines acted up on him a few years later.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah frankly I'd rather not have someone who supports war criminals hold the goals record.

might also not want to ask gretzky about his take on gaza atm. i mean i don’t know what he thinks but i think we all suspect where he’d land politically.

not to relativize ovechkin, just the sad fact about most of these guys’ convictions.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

might also not want to ask gretzky about his take on gaza atm. i mean i don’t know what he thinks but i think we all suspect where he’d land politically.

not to relativize ovechkin, just the sad fact about most of these guys’ convictions.

Bush, whether he deserves it or not, never has been indicted as a war criminal and can travel wherever he wants.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
On the flip side, you only have to look at the other team in that recap to see a successful tank....it took Colorado a long time to get back to relevance, but they tanked and built a strong team that eventually won a cup. Buffalo might still end up being successful, they certainly have the pieces to make it happen...I would argue that a tank only has a chance of being successful if the person leading it has a clue.
Except that Colorado didn't actually tank so it's not a great example. Patrick Roy quit on the team like 2 weeks before training camp and left Bednar in an impossible situation where everything went wrong leading them to have an almost historically bad season where they then lost the lottery only to get fortunate enough to have Makar fall to them.

The argument isn't that teams who get high picks out of genuine circumstances never see success. Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago, all teams that had earnest reasons for being terrible and were able to build success.

But as for teams intentionally stripping it to the studs who found success, that list is a lot shorter than for those who are still wandering in the wilderness.

It's clear some people don't understand what tanking is , and what rebuilding is.
Please enlighten me oh wise one.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Except that Colorado didn't actually tank so it's not a great example. Patrick Roy quit on the team like 2 weeks before training camp and left Bednar in an impossible situation where everything went wrong leading them to have an almost historically bad season where they then lost the lottery only to get fortunate enough to have Makar fall to them.

The argument isn't that teams who get high picks out of genuine circumstances never see success. Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago, all teams that had earnest reasons for being terrible and were able to build success.

But as for teams intentionally stripping it to the studs who found success, that list is a lot shorter than for those who are still wandering in the wilderness.

Honestly, the answer to the question as to whether rebuilds work is actually very simple. It all comes down to whether you have competent management, and of course some lottery/drafting luck. When people point to a bunch of failed rebuilds usually those are because the rebuild was unintentional because management was incompetent. So it isn’t surprising that an unintentional rebuild resulting from incompetent management failed. This doesn’t prove anything. Just like you can point to the countless failed “retools” that didn’t work because of poor management.

If you have good management and some luck, and importantly, patient ownership, you can see a Toronto like rebuild which has worked out fantastically for them.

Reactions: Indiana

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Gretzky has always been a 'go with the flow' guy, taking the path of least resistance on any potentially controversial topic. I doubt he's as much of a historian as he is a neurosurgeon. No reporter worth their salt should be asking a hockey player about such world events.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone know what Corey Perry did yet

(So I don't get in trouble around these parts...) Allegedly there was an incident involving Perry and a team staffer at a team event. Drunken unwanted advances etc. The rumour is out there on twitter if you look (not even that hard, just had to wade through all the Bedard stuff.)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
(So I don't get in trouble around these parts...) Allegedly there was an incident involving Perry and a team staffer at a team event. Drunken unwanted advances etc. The rumour is out there on twitter if you look (not even that hard, just had to wade through all the Bedard stuff.)
Appreciate the quick and dirty

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Disagree. I think these teams "leaned into the suck" instead of fighting their way out of it...they tanked their seasons IMO....especially Colorado, I don't believe you don't go from a .293% to a .579% with virtually the same core group, same coaching staff, no significant key injuries and say they didn't lean into a tank...can't prove it, but can't be convinced otherwise.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
that only sounds like a norm with the Blackhawks. I heard the incident was involved with corporation partners.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
It is so funny, why did people forget that many believed COL was the "NEXT" team when they got MacKinnon and were returning to the playoff? It took them 10 or 9 years (??) to win.
BTW, COL did not tank that year, did you see their roster? the whole organization was just dysfunctional.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Bill Guerin, the Minnesota Wild’s president of hockey operations and general manager, has been the focus of an investigation following a human resources complaint by an employee who alleged verbal abuse in the workplace, five team and league sources have confirmed to The Athletic.

The alleged incident that led to the investigation occurred in late November and was reported to the team’s HR department, which commissioned an outside law firm to investigate. Two attorneys traveled to St. Paul and interviewed more than 15 members of the organization.

Two team sources indicated that the investigation into Guerin’s alleged behavior was complete and the findings were delivered to upper management and ownership early this week. Wild management determined that Guerin had not committed a fireable offense, team sources said Wednesday.

The employee who filed the complaint, according to team sources, is Andrew Heydt, the Wild’s director of team operations and player relations. Heydt has been in that position for 10 years and oversees team travel, logistics, and player and alumni relations.

Everything is still shady as hell with nothing explaining why O'Hearn was let go.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
T

This stuff is getting so exhausting. Can we not just support players and leave the politics out of it?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Bill Guerin, the Minnesota Wild’s president of hockey operations and general manager, has been the focus of an investigation following a human resources complaint by an employee who alleged verbal abuse in the workplace, five team and league sources have confirmed to The Athletic.

The alleged incident that led to the investigation occurred in late November and was reported to the team’s HR department, which commissioned an outside law firm to investigate. Two attorneys traveled to St. Paul and interviewed more than 15 members of the organization.

Two team sources indicated that the investigation into Guerin’s alleged behavior was complete and the findings were delivered to upper management and ownership early this week. Wild management determined that Guerin had not committed a fireable offense, team sources said Wednesday.

The employee who filed the complaint, according to team sources, is Andrew Heydt, the Wild’s director of team operations and player relations. Heydt has been in that position for 10 years and oversees team travel, logistics, and player and alumni relations.

Everything is still shady as hell with nothing explaining why O'Hearn was let go.

I said this on the main boards but it definitely sounds like the non-action taken by Wild upper management isn't sitting well with others in the organization, which probably is the reason for O'Hearn leaving (either he's on Heydt's side or Guerin's side - leaning towards the former).

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad