Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
fb_img_1556069573789-jpg.219885

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
San Jose is clearly in their window, its going to close at some point and they will have to rebuild as well like every other team in the NHL.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Was there not an option to call a 2 minute penalty and a match?

The problem with the major is that it doesn't end. Even two minors would have been fine, but I don't see how that works in the rulebook.

Reactions: timw33

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
regardless if it was a major, VGK totally imploded, you just don't let 4 goals allowed in a span of a few minutes.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I was not overly impressed with Karlsson throughout most of the series, but last night, he kicked it up a notch..quite amazing.

he also looked crazy to me, twitching and talking to himself when they isolated on him. not sure what he ate to get himself right for the game but i am pretty sure he shouldn't eat it often.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
he also looked crazy to me, twitching and talking to himself when they isolated on him. not sure what he ate to get himself right for the game but i am pretty sure he shouldn't eat it often.

He was full Viking yesterday. I enjoyed it but was afraid he might do the blood eagle to one of the Knights.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I think when you add in the factors it's more than "well they shouldn't allow that many goals". No they shouldn't. But factor in a long series, a physical series, a game 6 double OT and the guy getting sent off is not just a major part of the your top 9 but also a PKing forward on the team...
And San Jose scores 4 PP goals without their arguably beat PP player in Pavelski. A wash at best.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think when you add in the factors it's more than "well they shouldn't allow that many goals". No they shouldn't. But factor in a long series, a physical series, a game 6 double OT and the guy getting sent off is not just a major part of the your top 9 but also a PKing forward on the team...

And now factor in how the call came about. Neither ref was making a call. The linesman that dropped the puck was no longer facing the play. The other linesman can't possibly have a clear view of what happened (unless all of a sudden a light cross check to the shoulder and chest area is considered a must call). They made the call up based on what they thought happened. Not what they actually saw happen. That's the issue. That's why it's embarrassing and why the whole series of events never should have started in the first place. And that's important regardless of what Vegas did or did not do. It was a massive mistake by an entire officiating crew at a crucial time. Not a small issue of a phantom tripping call but about as big of a mistake that can be made.

This wasn't a borderline call that was legitimately seen by an official as a 2 or possible 5. This was a completely made up 5 minute major call which is akin to attempt to injure. A call and misconduct that I can all but guarantee would get rescinded by the NHL IF Vegas had pulled out the win. Because Vegas didn't win they will try to sweep it under the carpet.

I think what makes it even worse is not just the vegas loss but that they legitimately let honest to goodness dangerous play go and made up a call on a play they didn't see (Fleury getting run in OT not much before the winning goal was scored. I wonder how much just getting run on a similar play messes with his head on the winner?).

Hopefully Vegas do pursue it and get it rescinded. Put the NHL on the spot.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
do people think the refs deliberately gave a penalty they didn't think happened to help the sharks or to be safe, or do you think they just misinterpreted their peripheral fleeting view of what happened?

i had assumed the latter. it was a strong cross check and the point of impact may not have been visible. the way pavelski went down could look like he'd been chopped down. plenty of room for the mind to fill in the rest for a match penalty.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I heard on the radio today that last night was only the second time in NHL history that a team scored 4 goals on a 5 minute powerplay. Feels like Vegas players are putting all the blame on the referees to deflect attention away from the fact that they had one of the most epic collapses in the history of playoff hockey. It's working.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
do people think the refs deliberately gave a penalty they didn't think happened to help the sharks or to be safe, or do you think they just misinterpreted their peripheral fleeting view of what happened?

i had assumed the latter. it was a strong cross check and the point of impact may not have been visible. the way pavelski went down could look like he'd been chopped down. plenty of room for the mind to fill in the rest for a match penalty.

There was no call on the play by the two referees. The one linesman was looking the other way. The other linesman was in no position to make that type of call. It was a call made after guy was lying motionless on the ice. A highstick can turn into a double minor after the fact. If you don’t see a match penalty at the time of the play you don’t let your mind fill in the blanks. That’s straight up bad officiating. Not just bad officiating at the NHL level but what a bad ref in beer league does.

It also wasn’t a strong cross check. It was a routine push to the shoulder and chest area that happens many times a game. Pavelski got tangled up and bad things happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad