Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Glad there’s a spotlight on officiating but I think people are overreacting a bit. Bad calls happen in the playoffs, bad major calls happen, bad non calls happen. People saying “the refs won this game” for the Sharks are out the lunch. This wouldn’t even be a conversation unless the sharks scored at least three, let alone FOUR on the ensuing PP. That’s absolutely insane.

It’s partially very clutch play by the sharks, partially a very bad PK, and partially the major. People saying the refs handed the sharks this game are acting like every major is a guaranteed four goal result, which is so far from the truth.

Did the play deserve a major ? Hell no. Did the act of the official assigning the penalty determine the outcome entirely ? Hell no.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Apparently 4 goals on a PP has happened twice in NHL history.
Marchessault should stop whining and bitching about the refs and realize he’s part of a historically bad PK. What a loser. Excuses are for losers.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Glad there’s a spotlight on officiating but I think people are overreacting a bit. Bad calls happen in the playoffs, bad major calls happen, bad non calls happen. People saying “the refs won this game” for the Sharks are out the lunch. This wouldn’t even be a conversation unless the sharks scored at least three, let alone FOUR on the ensuing PP. That’s absolutely insane.

It’s partially very clutch play by the sharks, partially a very bad PK, and partially the major. People saying the refs handed the sharks this game are acting like every major is a guaranteed four goal result, which is so far from the truth.

Did the play deserve a major ? Hell no. Did the act of the official assigning the penalty determine the outcome entirely ? Hell no.

As if Vegas didn't lose the game 6 at home on the PP...

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You can say Vegas shat the bed giving up four pp goals or give full credit to SJ. The fact of the matter is that brutal call which pretty much everyone agrees was terrible was a momentum killer

If that is just a two min penalty, or Pavelski isn’t hurt, I doubt the sharks have any life left. That is why this was such a brutal call. It turned the direction of the game. It also highlights the worst part of nhl officiating, the fact it is a reactionary game instead of proactive.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Vegas was clearly the better team the whole series. They should've got the job done sooner.

Thats gotta be top 3 in worst calls of all time, and the league should be embarrassed.

Its the saints game all over again a few months later and that was atrocious

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I blame both

No question Vegas needs to do a better job killing the penalty. That said, we aren't talking about a blown 2 minute minor call. This is a blown 5 minute major and not just a blown 5 minute major but a blown 5 minute major in games seven following a game 6 double OT with tired players. A call that also removed a pretty damn important player from Vegas for the rest of the third and OT. A guy they definitely could have used. Eakins being out neutered the bottom 6 for Vegas for the remaining 25 minutes of the game. The call had far more ramifications that just a PP that let San Jose get back into the game.

Marchessault is 100% correct. It was embarrassing for the league and that officiating crew. Look at the replay....NEITHER ref was calling anything. The linesman that dropped the puck was turned away as he turned to get into position so he definitely didn't see anything. That means the ONLY guy on the ice that could call the penalty was the back linesman who had no way to actually see what happened. Or, as is my guess, you had 4 guys in stripes shook up that a guy was lying motionless on the ice and they made shit up. My guess is they will be having reviews on majors/match penalties starting next season. Maybe even sooner. That can't happen again.

On the other hand...ha ha Leafs.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I really enjoy watching Vegas play. Fast, creative and fun hockey. Shame to see them eliminated in such a way. That said, we can now officially welcome the Vegas Knights and their new fans to the NHL! The Vegas fan base has had a nice two year run without ever having to experience the real gut punch of being totally screwed out of something positive (the Finals loss last year hurt for them I'm sure but Washington fully earned and deserved the win). Now that Vegas has been unfairly denied promotion to the second round (and perhaps even a Cup appearance or win - they were the best team remaining in the West in my opinion), I will cheer for them even harder next season!

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Marchessault should stop whining and *****ing about the refs and realize he’s part of a historically bad PK. What a loser. Excuses are for losers.

it isn't that black and white. people use the word excuses but this was very-obviously a direct factor in why they lost the game.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It's insane, because if Pavelski falls in a different way and doesn't conk his own noggin, that would not have been a minor penalty in a Jan/Feb let alone the 3rd period of a Game 7 in the playoffs. That said, imagine being Vegas' fans and seeing your team blowing a 3-1 series lead, as well as a 3-0 game seven lead... and then blaming it all on a single mistaken penalty call. C'mon guys...

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Regardless of the call, Vegas still had a 3-0 lead. They blew it. Period.

Like, literally 90% of the time San Jose scores one goal on that PP and nobody cares. 9% of the time they score two and people kinda care a little. They scored four.

Edit: obviously some percentage of the time they score zero. Too early for math.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Like, literally 90% of the time San Jose scores one goal on that PP and nobody cares. 9% of the time they score two and people kinda care a little. They scored four.

Yeah, I don't even know why this is an issue. It was a questionable call, but you allowed 5 goals through the back half of the third period and OT. Get your shit together.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
it isn't that black and white. people use the word excuses but this was very-obviously a direct factor in why they lost the game.
Vegas did what virtually no other modern teams have done: allowed 4 goals on a single PK. That’s unheard of. Should be Vegas players looking themselves in the mirror.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Vegas was clearly the better team the whole series. They should've got the job done sooner.

Thats gotta be top 3 in worst calls of all time, and the league should be embarrassed.

Its the saints game all over again a few months later and that was atrocious

I agree. Whether the Knights gave up 4 power play calls or not, that horrendous call completely changed the series and the league should be totally embarrassed. Before that call the Sharks had a 1.2% chance of winning that game and series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad