Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man, what a weak sauce goal to end that Vegas/San Jose game. Most un-Fleury like, which is too bad as the Golden Knights basically owned the Sharks all over the building in that one.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kristen Shill-ton of TSN, dependably clueless Leaf homer disguised as a reporter, on today's Bruins-Leafs game:

"Somewhere between grabbing an early lead, and a powerful final push to nearly force overtime, the Maple Leafs lost their way on Sunday."

LOL, what???? Boston dominated the last 15 minutes of the 3rd period. By far the better scoring chances.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Kristen Shill-ton of TSN, dependably clueless Leaf homer disguised as a reporter, on today's Bruins-Leafs game:

"Somewhere between grabbing an early lead, and a powerful final push to nearly force overtime, the Maple Leafs lost their way on Sunday."

LOL, what???? Boston dominated the last 15 minutes of the 3rd period. By far the better scoring chances.

Toronto Sports Network.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Toronto Sports Network.

Here's another claim in the same vein from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet:

"...couldn’t undo the damage done with a strong push in the third."

A strong push for the first five minutes of the third period; that was the end of it.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Man, what a weak sauce goal to end that Vegas/San Jose game. Most un-Fleury like, which is too bad as the Golden Knights basically owned the Sharks all over the building in that one.
Not denying a weak goal, but you see Fleury read the shot going far side and just as Hertl was releasing his wrist shot the defencman taped the shaft of the stick so the puck released early to the short side throwing off Fleury. Kind of a tough break.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not denying a weak goal, but you see Fleury read the shot going far side and just as Hertl was releasing his wrist shot the defencman taped the shaft of the stick so the puck released early to the short side throwing off Fleury. Kind of a tough break.
Theodore didn’t touch the puck with his stick but he made contact with Hertls stick which likely caused a change in angle from how MAF was reading it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

even if that is true, he overplayed the shot and lost his angle. as i was watching it i thought hertl should go wide, given how far out fleury was to play him.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Nylander and Ehlers have been brutal these playoffs, softer than butter, makes the Virtanen pick not seem as bad.

As much as I like Jake, painting his pick as a "win" of any sort is really pushing it. We would definitely be a better team with either Nylander or Ehlers, but maybe just not as "crazy better" as some have put it in the various Virtanen threads. Guess we'll just have to see how he does if he ever gets to play a playoff game.

The 2014 draft is really beginning to lose some of it's sheen. There are some stars coming out of the 1st round... Draisaitl, Larkin and Pasta are all looking good. But Ekblad is concussion prone... Reinhart's looking like a 2nd liner... Dal Colle is busting... Bennett and Virtanen are disappointing... Ritchie is okay, I guess... Nylander is beginning to look like his dad, which isn't bad, per se, but ain't great either... Ehlers is looking like a typical one dimensional Q scorer (except in the playoffs, where he doesn't score)... and Fleury, well, defensemen take longer to develop, apparently.

We'll see... guys can still break out or regress, but the draft doesn't look that special anymore, it just looks normal.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As much as I like Jake, painting his pick as a "win" of any sort is really pushing it. We would definitely be a better team with either Nylander or Ehlers, but maybe just not as "crazy better" as some have put it in the various Virtanen threads. Guess we'll just have to see how he does if he ever gets to play a playoff game.

The 2014 draft is really beginning to lose some of it's sheen. There are some stars coming out of the 1st round... Draisaitl, Larkin and Pasta are all looking good. But Ekblad is concussion prone... Reinhart's looking like a 2nd liner... Dal Colle is busting... Bennett and Virtanen are disappointing... Ritchie is okay, I guess... Nylander is beginning to look like his dad, which isn't bad, per se, but ain't great either... Ehlers is looking like a typical one dimensional Q scorer (except in the playoffs, where he doesn't score)... and Fleury, well, defensemen take longer to develop, apparently.

We'll see... guys can still break out or regress, but the draft doesn't look that special anymore, it just looks normal.
Canucks regular season wise would be better with nylander one Ehlers than with Virtanen.

2014 wasn’t regarded as a great draft st the top. Decent quality.

Nylander, his effort and determination are glaringly bad this playoff series. Ehlers no goals in 4 playoff series is disappointing for a guy who needs to score.

If Tor and win view their window as now they need better from both guys otherwise they may end up shipping them out if they have another playoffs like they have had.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Listen guys. No one is saying that Virtanen was the better pick in terms of regular season points scoring as of today. What we're saying is, when it comes to what really matters AKA playoffs then it's obvious that Nylander and Ehlers won't be these crippling phantoms haunting the franchise like some people were treating them. WHO CARES if they're good regular season players? I don't. Jets fans don't right now. Leafs fans don't right now after Nylander's last game. NO ONE SHOULD. Because only playoffs matter. And they suck in the playoff. Maybe they'll be good in the playoffs later in their career but until then we're justified in our criticism and I'm HAPPY we didn't pick them because paying 6-7 million dollars for a negative value playoff asset and a "maybe he'll show up in next year's playoffs" kind of guy is how teams become perpetual playoff chokers. That's NOT what I want for our Canucks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
virtanen has at least one bad shoulder, and either because of this or for other reasons he cannot or will not fight. which means he does not throw his weight around in scrums. as such, his playoff durability and effectiveness are both in doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad