Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Also IMO if anyone should bear blame in the Toronto debacle, it's Babcock. He was stubborn, couldn't get his team to play the right way down the stretch, and didn't make adjustments.

I've respected him as a coach in the past but other than talking a lot of folksy **** I didn't see him do anything to help his team get ready for the playoffs. He also didn't manage his goaltending well IMO. I don't think Andersen can play 60 games a season and the playoffs as well. His good run with Anaheim he only played 55 games, and he was basically platooned with Gibson in the other season just before being traded to the Leafs.

He may have become a dinosaur before our eyes.
Meh, Dubas refusal to pay up and really improve his defence, let Nylander walk all over him and build true depth is what sunk them. People are griping because Matthews didn’t play the entire 3rd period when Boston’s fourth line was once again out there crushing it.

Leafs won’t win a cup with Dubas- there- said it.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Vegas needs to win or this is going to be hockey's version of LA/NO where it puts a cloud over everything for the rest of the playoffs and into the off season.

Reactions: TruKnyte

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sure, he just accidentally on purpose shoved him.

There are literally hundreds of shoves in an NHL playoff game.

It was a cross check so “there was no infraction there” is incorrect. Pavelski also got injured with blood all over the ice and that’s usually the difference between a major and a minor. It’s true that this kind of play happens all the time but the NHL is known to punish based on result not intent so the call wasn’t out of left field.

It was a very, very minor crosscheck that would never have been called in a million years (even in a preseason game) if not for the freak unlucky fall that occurred afterward.

Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Also IMO if anyone should bear blame in the Toronto debacle, it's Babcock. He was stubborn, couldn't get his team to play the right way down the stretch, and didn't make adjustments.

I've respected him as a coach in the past but other than talking a lot of folksy **** I didn't see him do anything to help his team get ready for the playoffs. He also didn't manage his goaltending well IMO. I don't think Andersen can play 60 games a season and the playoffs as well. His good run with Anaheim he only played 55 games, and he was basically platooned with Gibson in the other season just before being traded to the Leafs.

He may have become a dinosaur before our eyes.

My best buddy who’s a Leafs fan has hated Babcock for years now. There are lots of Leaf fans that wanted him gone before tonight but the scales might’ve tipped in their favour now.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

It was a very, very minor crosscheck that would never have been called in a million years (even in a preseason game) if not for the freak unlucky fall that occurred afterward.
Ok, but at the same time not all plays are like that and result in a star player getting knocked out of the game. For sure it was a penalty, the major occurred because Pavelski is now out of the game. Not a bad trade off for Vegas.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That was a 2-minute minor that turned into a 5-minute major because of the injury. I don't even think the refs had made a call until they saw the blood splattered on the ice.

Regardless, that 3rd period was wild. Fleury looked rattled as hell after that second goal, and Vegas was garbage on the PK. Most entertaining period of hockey so far during the playoffs.

I think a 2 min would have been a fair call for crosschecking a player like that hard enough to knock them off balance and start them falling. The problem here is that Pavelski got tangled with Stastny who was just minding his own business, that is where the dangerous part of the fall happened. 2 mins would have been legitimate.

Reactions: timw33 and TruKnyte

just22

Aug 2, 2009
This is an absolute debacle for the NHL if VGK doesn't win it.
Not really. There have been blown calls that determine championships and the NHL didn’t collapse.

It was an absolutely terrible call though and if this means we get to see VARs for major penalties I’m all for it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Not really. There have been blown calls that determine championships and the NHL didn’t collapse.

It was an absolutely terrible call though and if this means we get to see VARs for major penalties I’m all for it.

It's a PR debacle that will certainly spark change (reviewing video on plays the refs don't see clearly before assessing a major).

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It's a PR debacle that will certainly spark change (reviewing video on plays the refs don't see clearly before assessing a major).
Meh, not that big a deal at all. Vegas should have killed the pp. that simple.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh my there were like 3 sharks 5 minute majors there after the whistle! I kid...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok, but at the same time not all plays are like that and result in a star player getting knocked out of the game. For sure it was a penalty, the major occurred because Pavelski is now out of the game. Not a bad trade off for Vegas.

There has been no time ever in this sport where a run of the mill shove followed by an unlucky stumble is a 5 minute major.

If a player is tripped skating through the neutral zone and falls awkwardly and is hurt, is that a 5 minute major?

Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

You’re right. But those minor cross checks that don’t get called 99% of the time don’t get called because 99% of the time it doesn’t result in such an ugly injury. If they did they’d be called. It’s unfair in a way but also fair in another way. The Sharks probably lost Pavelski for the playoffs if they advance.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Vegas passing is just sublime, wow. I didn’t realize how good of a playmaker Stone is.

They don’t deserve to lose to this garbage Sharks team.

member 290103

Ron is such a ****ing moron

I love the guy based on the job he does, but he says some things that are absolutely perplexing. It was not a horrible call because it was a cross check that resulted in an injury??? Huh?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad