Around the league: Playoffs III | No Canadian Teams Left in Playoffs...and nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
homer-simpson-tv-sports-pennant.jpg

Reactions: Devonator

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
"We are witnessing one of the greatest playoff games of all time"

No we're not, we're witnessing one of the worst major calls, let alone minor penalty calls, of all time.

Relax. The refs still owe Vegas another 1.5 even up calls.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
That was legitimately one of the worst calls I've seen in the 20 years I've been watching hockey. You can maybe call that a 2 minute cross-checking penalty but that's not something that gets called often in the playoffs, let alone the third period of game 7.

Scary result and you hope Pavelski is okay after that, but wow. Breathtakingly stupid.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
And 99.5% of face offs don’t end up like that. Yeesh. No need to finish a guy going down like that.

Can you please show me where Cody Eakin "finishes a guy going down like that" or uses "MMA moves"

Cody Eakin received a 5 major and a 10. Show me where he does more than a simple cross check off the faceoff.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Saying the hockey gods took care of everyone cause the referees are good.

Ron Cherry

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Eakin wasn’t even looking at Pavelski. He was looking at Burns at the point and gave Pavelski a little shove to get past him. It was a complete nothing play.
Sure, he just accidentally on purpose shoved him.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
That was a 2-minute minor that turned into a 5-minute major because of the injury. I don't even think the refs had made a call until they saw the blood splattered on the ice.

Regardless, that 3rd period was wild. Fleury looked rattled as hell after that second goal, and Vegas was garbage on the PK. Most entertaining period of hockey so far during the playoffs.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Eakin shoved him out of the way as he tried to get to the point and then Pavelski stumbled into another Vegas player and landed on his head.

It was an absolutely ridiculous call because a guy was lying on the ice not moving. It was the sort of play that happens 200 times in every game with a freak, fluke result.

There was no infraction there, much less one that should have been called in the 3rd period of a Game 7.

It was a cross check so “there was no infraction there” is incorrect. Pavelski also got injured with blood all over the ice and that’s usually the difference between a major and a minor. It’s true that this kind of play happens all the time but the NHL is known to punish based on result not intent so the call wasn’t out of left field.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also IMO if anyone should bear blame in the Toronto debacle, it's Babcock. He was stubborn, couldn't get his team to play the right way down the stretch, and didn't make adjustments.

I've respected him as a coach in the past but other than talking a lot of folksy shit I didn't see him do anything to help his team get ready for the playoffs. He also didn't manage his goaltending well IMO. I don't think Andersen can play 60 games a season and the playoffs as well. His good run with Anaheim he only played 55 games, and he was basically platooned with Gibson in the other season just before being traded to the Leafs.

He may have become a dinosaur before our eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad