Around the league - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Wrong thread...

EDIT: Sucks Hall is hurt again, but serves Oilers fans for right for overrating him so much.
They act like he's on Crosby's level.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Ahem. New goalie coach for Fleury. Wish the Jets would get one for Pavelec. New goalie coach in Colorado... Ahem......

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Thats amazing by Colorado. Turn over the puck at the blueline. 2on2 and behind that 3 Avs forwards. Great back checking and position.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Colorado has probably the most depth on forward in the league, and some very good young prospects being developed on the blueline. Looking forward I would say their only question is in net (assuming that the prospects develop on D and/or they add some help back there) considering Giggy is getting old and Varly has health issues.

Sacco and Granato were two of the worst head coaches in the NHL in the past decade, as an Avs fan from 1996-2011 it is great to see them on the right track again, now if only the Jets could smarten up!

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
still think Colorado will at best be a .500 team by seasons end which is still a pretty freaking good turnaround

I would bet against that. Even if their scoring dries up, they are one of the best defensive teams out there atm. #5 GF and #2 GA. 1.5 goals against per game... you are going in be in all the hockey games if you let in that few.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I would bet against that. Even if their scoring dries up, they are one of the best defensive teams out there atm. #5 GF and #2 GA. 1.5 goals against per game... you are going in be in all the hockey games if you let in that few.

have you seen their SV%? the word "unsustainable" was invented for them - they are in no way a good defensive team

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Maybe the goaltending part..but they've lost 2/3 faceoffs and are getting outshot like 32-14 and took 7 penalties. If this was our team we'd be reaming them for sitting on a 1 goal lead.

True, but not once did I feel like the Pens were in danger of scoring. JS Giguere was a rock all night and the Avs played a great team game, despite the disparity in shots. You need your goaltender to win you games, and that's what Giggy did tonight. I was impressed.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
True, but not once did I feel like the Pens were in danger of scoring. JS Giguere was a rock all night and the Avs played a great team game, despite the disparity in shots. You need your goaltender to win you games, and that's what Giggy did tonight. I was impressed.

I have no doubt Roy/Francois Allaire have helped out Varly and old pupil Giguere big time

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Yep that's what he did. From the second period on though the faceoff wins and puck possession was silly. Pens needed to get an ugly one though, and that's not their style. Almost too patient, if that makes sense.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Yep that's what he did. From the second period on though the faceoff wins and puck possession was silly. Pens needed to get an ugly one though, and that's not their style. Almost too patient, if that makes sense.

makes pefect sense - I think too much time and space can almost be a hindrance to a high skill team like Pitt - having too many options slowed down their decision making imo

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I have no doubt Roy/Francois Allaire have helped out Varly and old pupil Giguere big time

That's the interesting thing, though. The Avs have 2 goalie coaches, so to speak. I have a feeling that Roy will do his best to keep from stepping on Francois Allaire's toes, but you'd be foolish to think he wouldn't have some hand in goalie coaching.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Niemi just had an absurd shootout save on Bertuzzi to win in Detroit. Last goalie to pitch a shutout in Detroit during the regular season was Nabokov in 2000 apparently.

EDIT: Must have misunderstood, Elliott posted a shutout last year in Detroit. Probably last San Jose goalie to pitch a shutout in Detroit was Nabokov in 2000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad