Around the league - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
And yes, yes they have. :laugh: .. Lavi is a good guy and good coach, but he has a pretty short shelf-life as an NHL head coach.

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 1m

Flyers have fired Peter Laviolette, per a source. Replacing him with Craig Berube. Press conference at 11am.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Fired Noel and hire Laviolette :sarcasm:

Kind of surprised by this... but I havent seen the Flyers play this year.

3 games is pretty early to remove the coach. Unless of course, they are that bad.
But Holmgren is a hack of a GM as far as I am concerned, so I guess in that respect, I shouldn't be shocked by this.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The problem in Philly though is they got off to a terrible start last season and never recovered and Lavi was on the death watch coming into this season. I think he came really close to getting gasses last year and they have seen enough. This is all part of the trend from last season and missing the playoffs.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think that is just a stupid bush league move by the org. If you have that little faith in your coach, fire him in the off season and let the new guy have TC and exhibition to get his systems and philosophy instilled. 3 games? Anything can happen in 3 games. Heck, we almost won 3 in a row without really deserving to win any of them.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Fired Noel and hire Laviolette :sarcasm:

Kind of surprised by this... but I havent seen the Flyers play this year.

3 games is pretty early to remove the coach. Unless of course, they are that bad.
But Holmgren is a hack of a GM as far as I am concerned, so I guess in that respect, I shouldn't be shocked by this.

Holmgren may be a hack, but he's just doing what he's told to do. The Flyers under Ed Snyder are an organization much like the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones, the Oakland Raiders under Al Davis and the New York Yankees under George Steinbrenner. Owners calling the shots (Al Davis used to send plays to coordinators completely bypassing the Head Coach de jour) and being involved in the day-to-day minutia of the operation are the bane of any qualified GM and/or coach.

Even when Bobby Clarke spoke for the Flyers he was just parroting Snyder's wishes.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that is just a stupid bush league move by the org. If you have that little faith in your coach, fire him in the off season and let the new guy have TC and exhibition to get his systems and philosophy instilled. 3 games? Anything can happen in 3 games. Heck, we almost won 3 in a row without really deserving to win any of them.

Reminds me of what the leafs did to Burke last year. You can argue about the merits of the decision but the timing for both dismissals were brutal.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nt surprised. Hainsey lit them up last night.

where do they have Ron slotted in and how is he looking so far? Have you been able to catch the Jets games on TV as well as the Cane's games?

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

The Flyers are a bush league organization.
Two compliance buyouts gave them cap space and how did they fix it? They add two "twilight of their career" players to big contracts that they will be wishing they could buy out in a years time.
I feel sorry for Giroux, he deserves to play on a team with a clue.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

It wasn't just the three games--and it definitely wasn't the three result. It wasn't the three games plus the preseason. It was the three games, the preseason, training camp, and last season, and anyone who suggests otherwise probably hasn't been paying attention to the Flyers for the last 10 months. I don't think it was "bush league," because Laviolette was well-aware of how tenuous his job was--but that's not to say that I expect a quick turnaround or that Lavy was solely responsible.

Laviolette lost the team during training camp (Snider called it the worst he had seen in 40 years), and the problems on-ice were the same as last season, with no sign of adjustment in the future. Laviolette is a great coach for a team on the brink of a cup--but he's not a guy who's well-fitted for a young, developing team. The Flyers are a weird mix of both, but his message had clearly become stale.

You can make a pretty good argument that the problem is more Holmgren than Laviolette, but firing the GM isn't going to do much in season, and Chairman Ed isn't about to write off 2013-2014.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It wasn't just the three games--and it definitely wasn't the three result. It wasn't the three games plus the preseason. It was the three games, the preseason, training camp, and last season, and anyone who suggests otherwise probably hasn't been paying attention to the Flyers for the last 10 months. I don't think it was "bush league," because Laviolette was well-aware of how tenuous his job was--but that's not to say that I expect a quick turnaround or that Lavy was solely responsible.

Laviolette lost the team during training camp (Snider called it the worst he had seen in 40 years), and the problems on-ice were the same as last season, with no sign of adjustment in the future. Laviolette is a great coach for a team on the brink of a cup--but he's not a guy who's well-fitted for a young, developing team. The Flyers are a weird mix of both, but his message had clearly become stale.

You can make a pretty good argument that the problem is more Holmgren than Laviolette, but firing the GM isn't going to do much in season, and Chairman Ed isn't about to write off 2013-2014.

Would it be fair to suggest that the Flyers' problems stem as much from Snyder as it is from Holmgren?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Devils just pulled Brodeur during an Oilers power play and scored "shorthanded" to tie. Not sure I've ever seen that happen before.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Well Bogosian doesn't have the worst play of the season for very long after what Quick just did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->