Around The League; Offseason

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One positive thing with the Weber thing is Bergevin now has 8M of cap space to work with...it won't be boring :laugh:

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
More Laine stuff

“I do not even want to be like everyone else. I am who I am and do things my way. Everyone should be given the opportunity to be themselves. Then, of course, you have to play within the team’s system. I think it’s stupid not to use my potential. But then it’s another matter what the coaches think.”

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Laine’s uncoachableness will ruin him in the NHL. Generational goal scoring talent, but he has to want it.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
So Minny buys those two guys out for the expansion draft is that the consensus...
Has any team been ravaged worse than that team from the two expansion drafts

Reactions: McJedi

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So Minny buys those two guys out for the expansion draft is that the consensus...
Has any team been ravaged worse than that team from the two expansion drafts
Parise was a given - he was going to play on the 4th line next season and be the occasional or depending on Evason more-than-occasional healthy scratch. The writing was on the wall. Parise knew it, Evason knew it, Guerin knew it. Time was up in Minnesota for him.

Suter is a head scratcher but I guess if you're getting rid of one, might as well get rid of the other especially if Suter wasn't willing to waive his NMC and the Wild really do want to protect Dumba. They were 100% losing Dumba if Suter didn't waive.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Laine’s uncoachableness will ruin him in the NHL. Generational goal scoring talent, but he has to want it.

While I usually agree with that, having Laine play in the Columbus system is completely wasting his talent. You pay that guy to score goals. Does he come with some negative traits? Sure, but put him in a place to succeed and he will.

It’ll keep him from being a true superstar, but I have no doubts he still has 30-40 goal years left.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
While I usually agree with that, having Laine play in the Columbus system is completely wasting his talent. You pay that guy to score goals. Does he come with some negative traits? Sure, but put him in a place to succeed and he will.

It’ll keep him from being a true superstar, but I have no doubts he still has 30-40 goal years left.

He got ran out of a more suitable system in Winnipeg, and Tort's system isn't that harsh. St Louis, Lecavalier, and Gaborik all flourished under Torts. Laine just wants to play his game, score goals, and really do nothing else.

I'm sure he will, but I bet he'll go through 3-5 more franchises before he's out of the NHL by 30. Like Kovalev, he's got the talent to be one of the 5 best players in the world. He doesn't have the drive nor coachability to actually be one.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Florida bought out the last two years of Keith Yandle's contract.

I'm guessing both Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle end up in Boston. That defence is a mess. Grzelcyk showed this past season he's nothing more than a 3rd pairing offensive guy with major defensive issues. Clifton and Lauzon are 6/7 types, Zboril sucks, Tinordi is worse and Reilly is likely leaving.

Suter - McAvoy
Yandle - Carlo

While they aren't young anymore, it'd seem to be a decent fit with the two younger righties.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Damn, 32 points in 43 games for the Panthers and 40 in 66 including 20 goals the year before for Duclair but he only gets a 9M deal?

Great contract for the Panthers.
Character issues in the past is costing him money. There's a reason it's his 6th team already...

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
At least this time Duclair had the brains to accept the extension. The most memorable Duclair moment was his jaw dropping decision to "get paid" and walk away from a sweet Ottawa offer only to get a 1.7M one year UFA deal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Panthers put in some serious work this morning, well done.

Damn, 32 points in 43 games for the Panthers and 40 in 66 including 20 goals the year before for Duclair but he only gets a 9M deal?

Great contract for the Panthers.

It's a good deal, but committing to a personality like Duclair for 36 months is a big risk.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
At least this time Duclair had the brains to accept the extension. The most memorable Duclair moment was his jaw dropping decision to "get paid" and walk away from a sweet Ottawa offer only to get a 1.7M one year UFA deal.

Nope. That was a lie. Don't believe everything that gets leaked to the press. Duclair said he'd be an idiot to turn down the supposed offer the Sens allegedly gave him and he said that was NEVER offered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad