Around The League; Offseason

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

This makes no sense. If they go 7-3 they loss Holl. If they go 4-4 they now lose McCann.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

This makes no sense. If they go 7-3 they loss Holl. If they go 4-4 they now lose McCann.

Holl isn’t a gigantic loss. They needed to shore up their depth at center. That playoff series definitely showed that, and they finally realized Kerfoot isn’t a legit 3rd line center.

I’m guessing if they really want to keep Holl they try and broker a deal with Seattle to take Kerfy.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think the Leafs mind losing Holl too much. Either that or Dubas is going to pay Seattle to take Kerfoot from them.

To me, that's just poor asset management. If this is the plan, they 100% should have traded Holl themselves. He's 29, signed to 2 years at only 2m, he's 6'4", he plays on arguably Toronto's top pair, and just put up nearly 0.5 points per game. He instantly becomes one of Seattle's top targets for me if he's available. He's basically the perfect guy for them - someone they could happily keep or flip quite easily.

I don't disagree with getting McCann in principle - the Leafs desperately needed forward depth - I just disagree with the asset management aspect. This seems to be an ongoing issue with the Leafs. They focus in on getting the player they want, and worry about the roster implications later.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
To me, that's just poor asset management. If this is the plan, they 100% should have traded Holl themselves. He's 29, signed to 2 years at only 2m, he's 6'4", he plays on arguably Toronto's top pair, and just put up nearly 0.5 points per game. He instantly becomes one of Seattle's top targets for me if he's available. He's basically the perfect guy for them - someone they could happily keep or flip quite easily.

I don't disagree with getting McCann in principle - the Leafs desperately needed forward depth - I just disagree with the asset management aspect. This seems to be an ongoing issue with the Leafs. They focus in on getting the player they want, and worry about the roster implications later.

They could still go 4-4 and leave McCann, Kerfoot, and Dermott exposed, essentially paying Hallander and a 7th to make sure they still have a 3C.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
Always thought that Makar would get between $8.5M and $9M x 8 years.

This one doesn't seem like a it's a hard one to get done at all - that's the market value for him and you're locking him up until he's 30.
Pay him he is worth it and will be the entire contract. If not bridge him the cap goes up and pay him more.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Could see Sakic pursuing Holl if Seattle decide to flip him. A big RHD with a cheap caphit and experience playing in the top 4.

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Holl
Byram -- Timmins/EJ

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
And statement like this is precisely why my statement about annoucement like that is made.
Maybe in your Croatian utopia homophobia isn't still an issue, but out here, especially in Tennessee, it certainly is. He's making this statement so that, maybe, just maybe, other kids won't have to make similar statements like this in the future. The progress made is America since the 90's is encouraging, but it's by no means finished.

Good for him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I like that the kid came out. It sets the example for others that it is okay to be who you are. The simple fact that in the US, there are not many openly gay athletes because of the ramifications... it is even harder and more difficult at lower levels (kids are F cruel). This is a step toward inclusivity.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's high time the NHL had somebody publicly come out. There have been gay hockey players before. The number of people who have played in this league makes it a certainty. But making it public is a big step, and especially for a kid who might play in Nashville one day. Somebody has to break the glass ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad