Around The League; Offseason

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, Sakic would have to convince a vet to come in cheap. It won't be a game changer like many are expecting like a Danault or Schwartz or bring back Saad, there's just not enough cap space.
If you make the moves mentioned above and also move Compheryou have 1.7m + 3.5m = 5.2m, which is pretty close to Danault territory if you can shave some $ off here and there on other deals (or just swap Jost 1.7m for a 1m 4th liner.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know everyone shit on the Knights because they thought they botched the expansion draft, but they actually selected some good players and the trades made them what they are today. Seattle though, that is going to be very rough. Michkov or Bedard are probably what they’re hoping and aiming for.

Seattle so far:

- Built a shitty team in the expansion draft
- Passed on many available stars for free
- Didn't make any trade during the draft (as opposed to 10 for Vegas)
- Made only 2 trades after the draft (returned two 4th rd pick including ours)
- Isn't in line to sign any big UFA
- Didn't weaponize their cap space

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Seattle so far:

- Built a shitty team in the expansion draft
- Passed on many available stars for free
- Didn't make any trade during the draft (as opposed to 10 for Vegas)
- Made only 2 trades after the draft (returned two 4th rd pick including ours)
- Isn't in line to sign any big UFA
- Didn't weaponize their cap space
Francis asked for too much in terms of protection deals and no one went for it.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ceci was always a good depth defender, but the Sens (and later, the Leafs) kept overplaying him. He bounced back in Pittsburgh because they actually had enough talent on the back end to use him properly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You guys should read this posted on the Coyotes' subreddit. It's not shocking cos sports are a clusterf*** in terms of management and professionalism but interesting nonetheless.

As expected. Utter shit show and it trickled down from the top.

"I talked them up to $40k." :laugh: Likely pure bullshit. He should have known who he was dealing with right there. Disengenuous assholes trying to take advantage of a guy with dreams of working in hockey.

There's people like this in every profession though unfortunately. They just use and throw away their entry level workers. Again, this kind of tone is set at the top and it leads to all sorts of problems in an organization, because the result is you end up with shitty, unqualified, unprofessional, selfish bullies, who don't really care about doing what's best for the organization, they care about doing what's best for themselves.

Which again, Chayka set the tone for at the top and exemplified with his exit.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The OP mentions twice in the comments how great the Avs/Sakic's organization is to work for. If true, makes me feel better about the slow start to this offseaon and getting it back on track.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The OP mentions twice in the comments how great the Avs/Sakic's organization is to work for. If true, makes me feel better about the slow start to this offseaon and getting it back on track.
Things obviously went a bit sideways with the goalie situation and missing out on free agents who could have helped us, but to keep some perspective this team still has their entire core signed long-term (with the exception of Mackinnon which is for 2 years).
  • Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen is an elite 1st line, top 2-3 in the league.
  • The top 4 D is the envy of the league and could get even better if Byram can stay healthy this year.
  • Getting a goaltender was costly but we have an upgrade at backup and an elite starter (when healthy obviously).
  • The prospect pool is a bit shallow, but there's a solid group of prospects on the cusp of making the NHL who could fill roles pretty soon, including Kaut, Ranta, Bowers, and Barron. Kovalenko, Foudy, Helleson, Annunen, Olausson, Behrens are the wave after that ~2 years from now.
Sakic clearly made it a mission to keep the core together long-term but to not give out term to depth players. As an over-arching goal there's nothing wrong with that and it may pay dividends long-term.

For now though, this team is down a 2LW and a 3RHD, along with having very little draft capital. The roster is in healthy shape cap-wise long-term, but there's plenty of work to be done to put this roster over the top.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow Evander Kane's pregnant wife just had enough and outed him for gambling on his own games after he left her to go party in Europe. Accused him of throwing games too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wow Evander Kane's pregnant wife just had enough and outed him for gambling on his own games after he left her to go party in Europe. Accused him of throwing games too.

She knows she's destroying what's left of his career. I'm sad for the kids and I hope she finds a better human being than this person.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
She knows she's destroying what's left of his career. I'm sad for the kids and I hope she finds a better human being than this person.

Yeah, I don't know the details of their relationship, and if things are as they appear to be, she hasn't had it easy at all, but in truth I'm not sure the way this will play out will be in her best interest.

Kane has money problems as it is, but if they terminate his contract, that's gonna leave them even less money to support their child. She's already talking about how she can't afford formula. Especially since he might be hard pressed to find an NHL team to take him. Might end up playing in Europe or the KHL.

Hope everything works out okay, but this is gonna get ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad