Around The League; Offseason

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The last one was locked and didn't see a new one, and this definitely pertains

That's just a big ol' pile of shit the Wild are going to eat

A fitting end to their dog and pony show 9 years ago.

149197522parosiaddaads.jpg

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
We have come a long way in regards to offseason entertainment in the league.

Never forget that crazy day where it was reported that the Avs signed Matt Carkner but then he signed with NYI instead

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Russo had a great article on The Athletic as to how it all went down.

Apparently Bill Guerin called Ryan Suter first but it went to voicemail. Then he called Zach Parise, and Parise stated that he felt this was coming all along and wasn't surprised or angry - more relieved it was over and he had a new lease on life hockey wise.

Then Parise calls Suter to tell him the news of being bought out, and Suter tells him it's funny he mentions that because he had a missed call from Guerin earlier. Then Guerin calls Suter again while he's speaking to Parise and... it doesn't go well. Suter apparently hung up on Guerin, called Parise back to tell him he, too had been bought out and was ****ing furious.

Safe to say the Minnesota bridge with Suter has been burned lol.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Apparently Bill Guerin called Ryan Suter first but it went to voicemail. Then he called Zach Parise, and Parise stated that he felt this was coming all along and wasn't surprised or angry - more relieved it was over and he had a new lease on life hockey wise.

Then Parise calls Suter to tell him the news of being bought out, and Suter tells him it's funny he mentions that because he had a missed call from Guerin earlier. Then Guerin calls Suter again while he's speaking to Parise and... it doesn't go well. Suter apparently hung up on Guerin, called Parise back to tell him he, too had been bought out and was ****ing furious.

More like safe to say he will come do Denver to make them pay :sarcasm:

Reactions: McJedi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Looking at some capfriendly stuff and for all the good that NYI did, some of those contracts are brutal.

- Eberle: 5 million for 3 more years
- Bailey: 5 million for 3 more years
- Clutterbuck/Komorov: 3.5 million for 1 more year
- Ladd: 4.7 million for 2 more years

Hell I am not sure I would want that Nelson contract either which is 6 million for 4 more years. This is a team which can regress back down to earth if some of these players offensive skills dry up. They still gotta pay Pulock (UFA) and Barzal (RFA) to long-term deals next offseason as well...

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Looking at some capfriendly stuff and for all the good that NYI did, some of those contracts are brutal.

- Eberle: 5 million for 3 more years
- Bailey: 5 million for 3 more years
- Clutterbuck/Komorov: 3.5 million for 1 more year
- Ladd: 4.7 million for 2 more years

Hell I am not sure I would want that Nelson contract either which is 6 million for 4 more years. This is a team which can regress back down to earth if some of these players offensive skills dry up. They still gotta pay Pulock (UFA) and Barzal (RFA) to long-term deals next offseason as well...

And Sakic is just waiting patiently to pluck another Devon Towes-esque player from them :naughty:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Holy f*** is it enjoyable to watch the Minnesota Wild of the past implode and burn.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

I kind of agree with Suter? I don't think he played at the level of being bought out. Actually, when you look at his deal it wasn't even that terrible for what he brought. Was probably overpaid by 2-3M, I would have kept him around.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I kind of agree with Suter? I don't think he played at the level of being bought out. Actually, when you look at his deal it wasn't even that terrible for what he brought. Was probably overpaid by 2-3M, I would have kept him around.
Keeping him around would have entailed losing a good Dman to Seattle. Guerin could have asked Suter if he was willing to waive his NMC though.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Keeping him around would have entailed losing a good Dman to Seattle. Guerin could have asked Suter if he was willing to waive his NMC though.
Yeah, Parise getting bought out is fine, but I don't get Suter. Still a top 4 guy for a team that isn't super blessed with good Dmen.

Would Seattle have taken him as their 1st captain had he been exposed? Maybe, but then Minny loses that cap hit and there's no recapture from the buyout, so that's better, IMO.

Feels like a panic move, and really dumb if you ask me. Hell, they'd been better off exposing Suter, agreeing to eat some of Parise's cap hit and trading him to NYI than buying both out.

Reactions: Richard88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So rumour has it here in Edmonton that Taylor Hall has purchased a house. Coming from a guy that works as one of the builders on those specific houses (he also helped build the house Connor McDavid currently has).

Of course take it with a grain of salt, but I'm starting to believe we could legitimately see a Taylor Hall reunion in Edmonton and for not nearly as much money as people think.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Gives Suter spite as a motive to sign here.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad