Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What does a guy like McDavid have to do to get into the conversation for the GOAT? Multiple 2ppg seasons and a few cups? I never watched Gretzky. This McDavid guy is the most dynamic player I've ever watched.

2X Conn Smythe
9X Hart Trophy
10X Art Ross

These are the targets, along with winning the Art Ross with the same level of domination over his peers. The raw point totals will never be there, like QBs now vs. QBs in the late 90s/early 200os.

I think he's at least going to be the guy to end the whole "Gretzky has more assists than everybody else has points" thing though, when it's all said and done. Only other guy with >2,000 points.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
2X Conn Smythe
9X Hart Trophy
10X Art Ross

These are the targets, along with winning the Art Ross with the same level of domination over his peers. The raw point totals will never be there, like QBs now vs. QBs in the late 90s/early 200os.

I think he's at least going to be the guy to end the whole "Gretzky has more assists than everybody else has points" thing though, when it's all said and done. Only other guy with >2,000 points.
You're thinking McDavid reaches 2000 points? That's a long ways away

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're thinking McDavid reaches 2000 points? That's a long ways away

It is, and a lot has to go right for him to do so.

But let's say that he finishes this year at 700 points (would actually require him to go on a bit of a cold streak). He still has 5 more years in his 20's... let's say that he averages 120 points per season, so that gets him to 1,300 at 30 years old. He'd need 700 points for however long he decides to play for the rest of his career. Chances are he's still >100 points per season in his early 30's which helps insulate the later years when he won't be as much.

I don't think I'd bet heavily on him doing it, but I can see a world where it happens.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

But let's say that he finishes this year at 700 points (would actually require him to go on a bit of a cold streak). He still has 5 more years in his 20's... let's say that he averages 120 points per season, so that gets him to 1,300 at 30 years old. He'd need 700 points for however long he decides to play for the rest of his career. Chances are he's still >100 points per season in his early 30's which helps insulate the later years when he won't be as much.

I don't think I'd bet heavily on him doing it, but I can see a world where it happens.
120 points per season until he's 35 would still leave him short of 2K.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
120 points per season until he's 35 would still leave him short of 2K.

By ~100. Seems attainable if he plays until he's 38 or something.

Of course, if he maintains this and last season's level of production for a little while, then it gets all the better.

Like I said, a lot of things have to go optimally for him, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they do.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

McDavid’s game is going to fall off a cliff if he gets any significant LBIs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
McDavid’s game is going to fall off a cliff if he gets any significant LBIs.
That's the thing too about Gretzky... in his mid/late 30's, playing in the dead puck era, a broken down old man with a bad back... he still put up 90 points!

With him it was as much if not more about being a mental hockey genius as being very skilled with the puck. He thought the game faster than anyone before or since. He knew what you were going to do before you did! Always 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't even imagine what it's like to be a Canucks fan, watching the Habs go to the Finals and then fire their GM two months into the next season.
...great, and very depressing point, if you are a Canucks fan.

Reactions: TaLoN

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I’d throw the Senators into that pile as well. Front office has been pretty well teflon while being terrible and not adding really anything noteworthy throughout that timeframe. Not to mention still not having much hope of climbing out of it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I can't even imagine what it's like to be a Canucks fan, watching the Habs go to the Finals and then fire their GM two months into the next season.

Bergevin has been on the hot seat for a while; he didn't do himself any favors for drafting Mailloux. Plus there is so much more pressure in Montreal.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
All of which should really apply to Benning as well. The fact that it hasn't seems indicative of the problem in Vancouver.

Eh, the Montreal market is much different than the Vancouver market. Sort of like how there is more pressure for the New York Rangers than the New York Islanders.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jets(46 shots) just lost to ARI(15 shots) 1-0. Jets went 0 for 6 on the PP.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think they might be a bit testy up there for a while. Who would think that a team with that talent would have trouble scoring?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Jets(46 shots) just lost to ARI(15 shots) 1-0. Jets went 0 for 6 on the PP.
We just beat Tampa...the back to back Champs. Now we're gonna face Arizona....who will be on the second game of a back to back....and on our home ice. You thinking what I'm thinking? :sarcasm::sarcasm:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We just beat Tampa...the back to back Champs. Now we're gonna face Arizona....who will be on the second game of a back to back....and on our home ice. You thinking what I'm thinking? :sarcasm::sarcasm:
Naw...if ARI had lost then i'd be worried. They can't be playing the same goalie again tomorrow after facing 46 shots, and if they do, he'll be dead tired.

I did have the same thought for a minute, though. Things have been going too well around here lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad