Around the League delayed season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think anyone saying what he can and cannot do in his life 5 years after the last case is an absolute Jack ass. This "brad" guy literally talks out of both sides of his mouth in that column.
This was investigated and put to bed. Unfortunately people are trained to see everything as black/white or black and blue now days. No benefit of doubt.
I spent my youth picked on because I was younger and smaller at school. I spent my upper teen years beating them. It made me stronger and many are now my good friends. One of these kids who picked on me was abused by his step father. Now he is a councilor and a man I'd trust my life with.

Obviously, I was in a different place and had the means to defend myself. Unlike this mentality challenged kid. However, I read people for a living. I break down patterns of behavior. Yes, it's a bad start and obviously he starts behind the 8 ball but it's simply unfair for anyone to judge and control and adult who was already judged and controlled as a child.
We do not know the underlying reasons. We do not know anything except the negative. We DO know that it's human nature to look for flaws rather than to look for positives.
Do you beat up cholos at Denny’s though?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
"I do think everybody deserves a second chance in life," Brad said. "I really do. He was young when all this stuff happened, I get that, but you're old enough to know right from wrong at 14 years old. If you're bullying a handicapped kid when you're 14 years old, and something in your head doesn't click that this isn't right, I don't think you're ever going to figure it out.

"Do I think he needs to be banished from society and sent to the moon and left there until the end of time? No. Do I think he forfeits his right to get a college scholarship at the University of North Dakota? Yes. Do I think he forfeits his right to play in the NHL? Yes."
Brad said he's not in favor of "canceling" people for every little mistake, but said this situation is not an example of that.

"I don't think one thing should define the way your life goes, but I do think there are consequences to actions," Brad said. "Are we just going to cancel someone every time they make a mistake? I hate that. I hate the way the world is right now. I hate it. People are canceling everything for the smallest little things. But this is not that. This is not that. He didn't get caught throwing a plastic bottle out on the Interstate. It's different.

"Hockey. . . I thought everyone was on the same page. We need to eliminate this (stuff) from hockey. We need to eliminate people who think this way."

Near the end of the article:

"I think he should be able to go on and live a good life, make up for what he's done, go and get an education and find a job," Brad said. "I just don't think it should be hockey. I don't think he should have the right to play professional hockey when that's the exact thing we're trying to get rid of."

I think what Mitchell Miller did as a 14-year old was despicable. He committed a crime as a minor and suffered the consequences.

Is banning him from hockey for life going to make him a better person?

We all want to deal with nothing but ethical people in every walk of our lives. This never happens. Now that Mitchell Miller is a young adult by all means hold him fully accountable and dismiss him from the program if he ever does it again, and people are free to hold their own opinions on the quality of his character. The young man has much to consider going forward and has a lot of work to do in order to earn the respect of his peers, coaches, and UND fans.

At this time, I don't think a lifetime ban from his chosen vocation is the answer.

Both Miller and Brad need a talking to.

I am an eye for an eye a leg for a leg kinda kinda guy

For the bullying:
What if the victim kid got to properly bitch slap Miller , on public, with a glove . Live streamed?

For the racism:
We then put him in the stocks and every African American Person of Color who wants to say Hi gets to fart in his face for 48 hours.

I think we drive Brad and in to the forest with only a baby Yoda doll and a 6 pack of Miller High life and make him survival man his way back

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think anyone saying what he can and cannot do in his life 5 years after the last case is an absolute Jack ass. This "brad" guy literally talks out of both sides of his mouth in that column.
This was investigated and put to bed. Unfortunately people are trained to see everything as black/white or black and blue now days. No benefit of doubt.
I spent my youth picked on because I was younger and smaller at school. I spent my upper teen years beating them. It made me stronger and many are now my good friends. One of these kids who picked on me was abused by his step father. Now he is a councilor and a man I'd trust my life with.

Obviously, I was in a different place and had the means to defend myself. Unlike this mentality challenged kid. However, I read people for a living. I break down patterns of behavior. Yes, it's a bad start and obviously he starts behind the 8 ball but it's simply unfair for anyone to judge and control and adult who was already judged and controlled as a child.
We do not know the underlying reasons. We do not know anything except the negative. We DO know that it's human nature to look for flaws rather than to look for positives.

This is just another post accusing people who disagree with your reasoning of being too dense to understand. Come on.

It's not binary/black-and-white. I've even said I believe in forgiveness and rehabilitation, but this kid has skated by. He hasn't shown contrition. He established a ten-year pattern of deviant behavior, then followed it up by doing nothing but the bare legal minimum (even that is debateable) and continually covering his own ass at every turn--he lied about the incident, and he put more effort into a letter begging teams to pick him than he did into asking forgiveness. Hell, his accomplice broke down and received forgiveness, he didn't even have to do it alone, but he didn't do it. Show me the positive, I'm all ears, because I DO believe in second chances.

Now I do believe ND and the Yotes are saying the right things, ND has essentially said basically it's our responsibility to help this young man grow. I appreciate that. But Miller needs to take a huge step himself as well. As far as the Yotes, well, f*** them, its' pretty clear they picked him to try to get good value after pissing away their own picks through both bad management and their own unethical behavior, so they may be a match made in scumbag heaven. Hopefully both clean up their acts before they meet officially. Do I think Miller SHOULD have a pathway to college and the NHL? Absolutely--if he's willing to show he's learning. But if he just continues on pretending nothing every happened, its' just an example of the scumbag privilege culture and everyone involved--Miller, ND, AZ--should all be f***ing ashamed ESPECIALLY after committing to the hockey is for everyone initiatives.

Token

May 15, 2019
I will never understand the "He was only 14" crowd. You say "he was only 14" when he gets a hold of his mom's peach schnapps, goes to the mall and whips out his dick to the girl bouncing on the lemonade at Hot Dog on a Stick. Not when he's systematically attacking someone for years.
Wait What!? You saying I could’a done that when I was 14 ...

... damn I missed out as a kid. 8)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
While there's no evidence presented - as of now, the mother of the bullied kid asserts 1) they never received an apology and 2) he continued to taunt for two years (until he was 16).

At the moment, the mother is more believable than the bully. And chances are, at this point, we'll never know the full truth.

But let's say for example, the "he was only 14" crowd has a point. At what age IS this behavior no longer okay?

He still has a long ways to go to show he deserves to be on an NHL team. I'm not a fan of canceling. If someone lives an otherwise good life, for example, I'm not going to condemn a 30 year-old hostage to something they did at 14, provided they actually feel bad and are remorseful for what they've done. I'm definitely not proud of the mistakes I've made in life.

My concern is that he's shown little to no remorse for what he did, and this is years later. The extent of his remorse has gone to his viability to be drafted, at least by observations. I'm glad he attended the seminars he did. I hope it rings through to him. I'm just not convinced, beyond doing things for optics' sake, that he feels bad about what he did, and apparently multiple teams who had a chat with him agree.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sports are an entertainment industry, its non-essential. His particular skill set isn't vital to the success of the sport by any stretch of the imagination, so if the fans of a team (or every team) deem his particular offense to be so off-putting that they don't want him, well, eff him.

Good luck selling insurance or used cars. Nobody has the right to be a pro athlete. We decide who gets that chance by displaying our opinions and dollars. Second chances can come via a new career path not dependant on public approval.

I get that point of view and some days share it, than other days feel like that is too harsh for a 14 year old. Honestly I am torn but respect this viewpoint.

I do feel most people have demons in their past or something they regret or should have done better. "Life's a dance you learn as you go"

Reactions: KINGS17

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I will never understand the "He was only 14" crowd. You say "he was only 14" when he gets a hold of his mom's peach schnapps, goes to the mall and whips out his dick to the girl bouncing on the lemonade at Hot Dog on a Stick. Not when he's systematically attacking someone for years.
fair...and funny example. Is that from personal experience?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sports are an entertainment industry, its non-essential. His particular skill set isn't vital to the success of the sport by any stretch of the imagination, so if the fans of a team (or every team) deem his particular offense to be so off-putting that they don't want him, well, eff him.

Good luck selling insurance or used cars. Nobody has the right to be a pro athlete. We decide who gets that chance by displaying our opinions and dollars. Second chances can come via a new career path not dependant on public approval.
This is true. Clearly the Coyotes are taking a risk with this kid, and he will benefit by being in a market where hockey is fairly low on the attention scale.

There are definitely people who turned the channel during the NBA playoffs this season, and NFL games last season. It's a tough call for some sports franchises. Probably just better to drive it straight down the middle of the fairway instead of hooking it left or slicing it right.

None of us can get inside this kid's head, and I don't think we are interested in being thought police. If he keeps his nose clean and his mouth shut and just plays hockey it won't be enough for some people. Others will expect nothing more and nothing less.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Both Miller and Brad need a talking to.

I am an eye for an eye a leg for a leg kinda kinda guy

For the bullying:
What if the victim kid got to properly bitch slap Miller , on public, with a glove . Live streamed?

For the racism:
We then put him in the stocks and every African American Person of Color who wants to say Hi gets to fart in his face for 48 hours.

I think we drive Brad and in to the forest with only a baby Yoda doll and a 6 pack of Miller High life and make him survival man his way back

I always knew you were "old testament". :)

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Like I said, my bigger problem at this point is his ongoing behavior WRT to past behavior than the initial issues. He's had plenty of options to clean himself up: show remorse, don't continue lying, don't put more effort into begging people to draft you instead of actually correcting the past...hell at this point he could donate time/money to charity and/or join the hockey is for everyone initiative. He's gotten--and had--plenty of pathways to redemption, but instead he insists on pretending the past didn't happen while his victim is still hurting. He seems intent to just try to bury it as deep as possible instead of change trajectory.

You're right that just putting his hands over his ears won't be enough for some people; this guy is entering a public career where he's a role model whether he likes it or not and I'm not going to apologize for personally having a bare minimum standard for character.

Reactions: tbrown33

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I always knew you were "old testament". :)

Indeed

Ezekial 25:17 is old testament too

0*QBO6wE-oeeBFaWfQ.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Indeed

Ezekial 25:17 is old testament too

0*QBO6wE-oeeBFaWfQ.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

But I know you're trying real hard to be the shepard. BTW, you can send me the cash from your BMF wallet. I will send you a PM with my address. :)

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
This is just another post accusing people who disagree with your reasoning of being too dense to understand. Come on.

It's not binary/black-and-white. I've even said I believe in forgiveness and rehabilitation, but this kid has skated by. He hasn't shown contrition. He established a ten-year pattern of deviant behavior, then followed it up by doing nothing but the bare legal minimum (even that is debateable) and continually covering his own ass at every turn--he lied about the incident, and he put more effort into a letter begging teams to pick him than he did into asking forgiveness. Hell, his accomplice broke down and received forgiveness, he didn't even have to do it alone, but he didn't do it. Show me the positive, I'm all ears, because I DO believe in second chances.

Now I do believe ND and the Yotes are saying the right things, ND has essentially said basically it's our responsibility to help this young man grow. I appreciate that. But Miller needs to take a huge step himself as well. As far as the Yotes, well, f*** them, its' pretty clear they picked him to try to get good value after pissing away their own picks through both bad management and their own unethical behavior, so they may be a match made in scumbag heaven. Hopefully both clean up their acts before they meet officially. Do I think Miller SHOULD have a pathway to college and the NHL? Absolutely--if he's willing to show he's learning. But if he just continues on pretending nothing every happened, its' just an example of the scumbag privilege culture and everyone involved--Miller, ND, AZ--should all be f***ing ashamed ESPECIALLY after committing to the hockey is for everyone initiatives.

Repentance is not a prerequisite to living life. We don't have to please others. We do not have to apologise. We can be assholes. We do, however, have to abide by law or else we lose our freedoms.
He was an asshole. He seemed unapologetic. However, being an unopologetic asshole as a child does not mean that he does not deserve to have a job as an adult. He went through the ringers. Time to move on.....until it's not. If he is proven to be a problem as an adult you call a spade a spade and kick curbs. It's that simple. Anything else is assuming something without having a true avenue to conduct due diligence.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
What I think gets me the most around this pick, is that the Coyotes didn't have a 1st round pick, had to forfeit their 2nd round pick, didn't have a 3rd pick and decided to make their first pick in the draft this guy? And now they may renounce their rights to him? How inept does your franchise have to be to screw up this badly?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Repentance is not a prerequisite to living life. We don't have to please others. We do not have to apologise. We can be assholes. We do, however, have to abide by law or else we lose our freedoms.
He was an asshole. He seemed unapologetic. However, being an unopologetic asshole as a child does not mean that he does not deserve to have a job as an adult. He went through the ringers. Time to move on.....until it's not. If he is proven to be a problem as an adult you call a spade a spade and kick curbs. It's that simple. Anything else is assuming something without having a true avenue to conduct due diligence.

Well the Coyotes just renounced their rights to Miller, so I guess it was time to move on. You're right that you can be an asshole, and you don't have to feel any remorse, and you don't have to apologize, but it's also equally true that if you are and do all of those things, then you may have to face the consequences of your actions, like Miller is facing now. I guess your supposition is that fourteen may be too young to know that attacking a developmentally disabled classmate is wrong, and I'd argue otherwise.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What I think gets me the most around this pick, is that the Coyotes didn't have a 1st round pick, had to forfeit their 2nd round pick, didn't have a 3rd pick and decided to make their first pick in the draft this guy? And now they may renounce their rights to him? How inept does your franchise have to be to screw up this badly?

I don't want to let the Coyotes off the hook or anything, so I'll just say that I hope it was a lack of due diligence as a result of personnel changes and drafting restrictions, and not because he was a player they really wanted.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

No, he hasn't been through the ringer, he arguably has suffered no consequences at all...apparently until about 15 minutes ago. You say we have to abide by the law or lose our freedoms....he didn't do either. He committed a literal hate crime and his biggest punishment was to write a letter.

You're right. We don't have the requirement to please others. Everyone has the right to be an unapologetic jackass. And I have the right to criticize that. And his would-be employers also have the right to terminate him for lack of character.

I guess I just don't quite understand how people keep conflating personal freedom with freedom from consequences.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't want to let the Coyotes off the hook or anything, so I'll just say that I hope it was a lack of due diligence as a result of personnel changes and drafting restrictions, and not because he was a player they really wanted.

I actually disagree with this move by the Coyotes, it's even worse. They already acknowledged he had a history and they wanted to help him improve. Now they're backing away from it on public backlash? Unless there's even more behind the scenes or Miller told them no, I don't care, how much more can this franchise f*** up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland