Around the League delayed season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Repentance is not a prerequisite to living life. We don't have to please others. We do not have to apologise. We can be assholes. We do, however, have to abide by law or else we lose our freedoms.
He was an asshole. He seemed unapologetic. However, being an unopologetic asshole as a child does not mean that he does not deserve to have a job as an adult. He went through the ringers. Time to move on.....until it's not. If he is proven to be a problem as an adult you call a spade a spade and kick curbs. It's that simple. Anything else is assuming something without having a true avenue to conduct due diligence.

He can pursue a job that doesn't depend on the public scrutiny his actions have earned.

Reactions: tbrown33

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Repentance is not a prerequisite to living life. We don't have to please others. We do not have to apologise. We can be assholes. We do, however, have to abide by law or else we lose our freedoms.
He was an asshole. He seemed unapologetic. However, being an unopologetic asshole as a child does not mean that he does not deserve to have a job as an adult. He went through the ringers. Time to move on.....until it's not. If he is proven to be a problem as an adult you call a spade a spade and kick curbs. It's that simple. Anything else is assuming something without having a true avenue to conduct due diligence.
He can have a job cleaning toilets.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
He can pursue a job that doesn't depend on the public scrutiny his actions have earned.
We've seen people lose just regular white collar jobs in these types of situations. There's no job or company that is completely free from public scrutiny.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

And he can still be a professional hockey player. It may be after years where he plays in the NHL, or in another league.

But people truly need to stop with this "ruined his life" narrative.

1. Not playing in the NHL isn't life-ending
2. If making the NHL is all that matters, be sure to work to be the kind of person who will make it, instead of an unremorseful, insincere jerk.

Plenry of people failed to make the NHL for worse circumstances out of their control.

I would still be okay if the kid gets a chance one day, provided he doesn't continue to show the violent sociopathic behavior we've only been able to see.

Reactions: tbrown33

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
We've seen people lose just regular white collar jobs in these types of situations. There's no job or company that is completely free from public scrutiny.
Exactly. See one Vyacheslav Voynov who still can't work at his job at the highest level despite serving his legal consequences and because his work peers are so pure in their personal lives.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I actually disagree with this move by the Coyotes, it's even worse. They already acknowledged he had a history and they wanted to help him improve. Now they're backing away from it on public backlash? Unless there's even more behind the scenes or Miller told them no, I don't care, how much more can this franchise f*** up?
100% agree. They look even worse now. Like they didn't know his background -- of course they did. So they tried to get it by (tone deaf) and had to succumb to pressure. If they for some reason didn't know the full story, then they should be fired for not doing their due diligence / job (ironically so). Either way it's a crap show and I find it incredibly funny & enjoyable to see them further implode from afar.

Reactions: KINGS17

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I really don't care about this situation except to say I hate cancel culture since the social media mob is not always correct. Even if it is warranted in this case--and I'm not arguing that it is/isn't--it's just another brick in the wall when it comes to cancel culture.

What's really interesting to me is if those on our Board that have been calling for this kid's head were also in favor of bringing Voynov back.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pawn, I agree with you often but not here. No matter the reason, denying someone the opportunity to play in the NHL prohibits him from competing at the highest level of his profession. That is undeniable.

This guy has been given plenty of outs and has chosen not to utilize them.

That's on him and no one else.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020

I wasn't justifying the kid, wasn't even commenting on this case (see "no matter the reason"). Was stating the fact that barring one from the NHL officially or unofficially, justified or not, is preventing a man from competing and earning at the highest level of his profession.
This should never ever be forgotten nor taken lightly.

Reactions: Faterson

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010

I mean, it's also on his parents. Kid was 14. Everyone on here is treating it like he was an adult. He's still only 18. He has a lot of maturing to do, probably had shitty parents and will need to play some catch-up.

I'm fine with them not letting him play in the NHL, sounds like a real ass. But it's always a little obnoxious when social media makes the decision. Who knows maybe AZ was going to put him in a good spot for him to mature and maybe him being around professionals who hes always looked up to would have been a positive thing for him. Maybe the people who have relationships with him for the rest of his life would have been better off if his future wasn't decided by a bunch of people on social media.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Sure there is. Nobody would know a damn thing about this if he wasn't seeking a career in the public eye.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Exactly. See one Vyacheslav Voynov who still can't work at his job at the highest level despite serving his legal consequences and because his work peers are so pure in their personal lives.

Do something awful, there will be consequences.

I don't feel sorry for Voynov one bit. The ramifications of his actions damaged and embarrassed his employer. He hasn't been banned, other employers chose not to give a chance, which is their absolute right.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I actually disagree with this move by the Coyotes, it's even worse. They already acknowledged he had a history and they wanted to help him improve. Now they're backing away from it on public backlash? Unless there's even more behind the scenes or Miller told them no, I don't care, how much more can this franchise f*** up?
Yeah, Arizona just proved their personnel decisions are subject to the whims of social media. They knew the situation before they drafted him. Obviously, no one in management there has the courage of their own convictions, or perhaps they didn't have any guiding principle on this at all.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad