Around the League delayed season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
He's the Coyotes problem. I mean, I'm not one to damn people for being a terrible jerk in their life especially as a kid. Did he go to juvie or something? It sounded like they just made him write a letter and moved on, so I don't know. Just sounds like a really bad string of behavior when he was younger. He's not commenting on the situation and really I'm not surprised. Why feed the sharks? His best bet would be to do his best to work on his character and do something positive. If he doesn't, it's on him.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
He's the Coyotes problem. I mean, I'm not one to damn people for being a terrible jerk in their life especially as a kid. Did he go to juvie or something? It sounded like they just made him write a letter and moved on, so I don't know. Just sounds like a really bad string of behavior when he was younger. He's not commenting on the situation and really I'm not surprised. Why feed the sharks? His best bet would be to do his best to work on his character and do something positive. If he doesn't, it's on him.

I mean thats a far cry from being a jerk. He did things to a handicapped minority that is sickening to read.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

It sounded like it was a pattern of repeated torment for that poor kid, occurring over several years.

Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court to bullying Meyer-Crothers, who was tricked into licking a candy push pop that Miller and another boy had wiped in a bathroom urinal.Meyer-Crothers had to be tested for hepatitis, HIV and STDs, but the tests came back negative, according to a police report.

Miller and another teen-ager were charged with assault and violating the Ohio Safe Schools Act in February 2016, when they were accused of making Meyer-Crothers eat candy that had been placed in a urinal. Other accounts in a police report indicate the boys urinated on the candy before giving it to Meyer-Crothers.

Miller and the other teen then punched and pushed Meyer-Crothers, according to the police report obtained by The Republic. The report also says Miller lied to school officials about his involvement.

At the time, Meyer-Crothers had the mental ability of a 10-year-old, according to his mom.

Miller and the other boy admitted to the misdemeanors and were sentenced to 25 hours of community service and were ordered to write an apology through the court system to Meyer-Crothers, participate in counseling and pay court costs.

Joni Meyer-Crothers said the other boy broke down in tears while personally apologizing to her son, yet Miller has never personally apologized, she said, other than the court-mandated letter.

Joni Meyer-Crothers said one of the key reasons Miller and the other boy admitted to the crime and avoided a trial was because it was caught on a surveillance camera, and it would have been shown in court.

"It was absolutely brutal," she said. "Had he not pled guilty, the video would have been released. It would have been so much worse on Mitchell because of the brutality to our son … He's smashing Isaiah's head against a brick wall."

Also, from Judge slams pair's role in bullying case:

"The biggest problem I have is [Mitchell] has been bullying Isaiah since he was in second grade, so I thought he'd have a more severe punishment," said Joni Meyer-Crothers, Isaiah's mother. "I truly believe Hunter is remorseful. I don't think Mitchell is remorseful at all, in my opinion. Him rollerblading by our house is a taunt. It's like him saying, 'I may not be at school, but I'm still here.'

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Token

May 15, 2019
Even so, players doing dumb shit 10 years into their pro career is far different than knowing this and still drafting him, or cheating to know more about prospects than any other team and still drafting him.

The Kings might have channeled the 90s Cowboys for a minute there but they were recreational drug incidents not literal hate crimes. I think it's fair to set the bar a little higher than criminally abusing a handicapped minor of color.

I'm as big a believer in 2nd chances as anyone but this is criminal behavior with no remorse shown. He's gotten away with it for so long simply for being an athlete. What a rotten culture.
Before you torch the kid and quarter him with Clydesdales ...

... he was 14 when this happened.

It’s easy to be part of the mob.

There are failures here that go beyond the click-bait headlines designed to elicit just this kind of Pavlovian drool.

Token

May 15, 2019
There are certainly a few oddities over the past decade for LA: the Mark Hardy sexual abuse thing, Jarret Stoll doing coke in Vegas, Mike Richards addicted to painkillers and bringing them over the border, et cetera. Those certainly had an impact on the organization in one way or another, but the Kings were able to wash their hands of all of it because they were players and coaches at the end of their tenure.

The obvious elephant in the room is Voynov. If Slava had a history of domestic abuse, there’s no way the Kings would have taken him. For a GM with such an affinity towards character (almost to a fault), that was the crack in the foundation that led to any hope of a dynasty vanishing.

That Coyotes pick is akin to if Voynov had a long and storied history of domestic violence, and the Kings said, “That’s our guy.”

Just crazy.
And the Czech goalie prospect not long ago who’s name escapes me.

Plus the whole alleged episode with Doughty...

So, my point is we added flavor into the pot. Rest is nitpicking the details.

Reactions: kilowatt

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

There are failures here that go beyond the click-bait headlines designed to elicit just this kind of Pavlovian drool.
I agree. I think you have to evaluate the young man based on who he is today, not what he did when he was a 14-year old.

Perhaps he hasn't changed, but maybe he has matured and learned something along the way.

Let the person who has never been a jerk or cruel to anyone cast the first stone.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Sure. No one's refuting that. I think people deserve a second chance and I hope he's learned a lot from some terrible stuff he did as a kid. With that said, I'm glad we aren't the team that drafted him. This article (Judge slams pair's role in bullying case) was written four and a half years ago, long before Mitchell was a touted draft prospect, and isn't your usual attention-seeking clickbait article.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

He was preying on a mentally disabled black kid for years. This wasn't a singular incident of bullying.

It's one thing to do one thing wrong. And I'd be a lot more forgiving if he apologized when he was chastized by the judge. His friend, who bullied the kid alongside him, broke down in tears and apologized.

To harass, bully, and assault a peer for years, and only saying "sorry" after it's got media attention, tells me this is an ongoing problem and is way beyond "kids do dumb shit."

Token

May 15, 2019
He was preying on a mentally disabled black kid for years. This wasn't a singular incident of bullying.

It's one thing to do one thing wrong. And I'd be a lot more forgiving if he apologized when he was chastized by the judge. His friend, who bullied the kid alongside him, broke down in tears and apologized.

To harass, bully, and assault a peer for years, and only saying "sorry" after it's got media attention, tells me this is an ongoing problem and is way beyond "kids do dumb shit."
I’m not commenting on whatever crime for which he was convicted and punished. The merit of that is not at issue. I agree it was reprehensible.

The problem lies with his second trial in the court of public opinion and the fact that he was a minor when the offense and conviction occurred.

Like I opined earlier... rather Pavlovian.

Reactions: tny760

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I mean thats a far cry from being a jerk. He did things to a handicapped minority that is sickening to read.
For as heinous as this appears to be, he was only made to write a letter which seems rather unusual for a punishment unless there's some doubt. The articles don't seem to bother with presenting a complete picture so I all I can go on is this hasn't happened since by all accounts. So if he's moved on and cleaned himself up, I don't see why he should be made a pariah.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

...he was doing it since second grade. it wasn't an incident. It was a pattern. Almost a decade's worth.

Painting people as if they're mindlessly SJWing here is pretty f***ing insulting honestly and a really, really dark place to make a stand. Like I said I believe in second chances, but it takes a little more remorse for me to let anyone past the "criminally abusing a handicapped minor of color" tape. If that makes me a drooler, much happier to be a drooler than whatever the opposite would be. Jesus man.
This is just infuriatingly disgusting behavior, picking on the weakest of the weak and walking away from it without owning up, straight up lying about it.

And the Czech goalie prospect not long ago who’s name escapes me.

Plus the whole alleged episode with Doughty...

So, my point is we added flavor into the pot. Rest is nitpicking the details.

Right, and Voynov was dealt with. Stoll was cut. Bartosak was sent to purgatory somewhere. Richards was bought out or whatever else went on there. These things were all handled--they didn't happen and then the Kings picked them despite a history. That would be enabling him as the Yotes have done here. This isn't the people in glass houses thing you want to paint it to be for whatever reason.

One last time I'll say it--I believe in second chances and maybe the kid can make something positive happen here but history and present are against it so if you don't mind I'm going to call a f***ing asshole a f***ing asshole until he proves me otherwise (note: he hasn't yet, but for whatever reason a bunch of people are moving to dismiss), you can do you.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I’m not commenting on whatever crime for which he was convicted and punished. The merit of that is not at issue. I agree it was reprehensible.

The problem lies with his second trial in the court of public opinion and the fact that he was a minor when the offense and conviction occurred.

Again, the only apology for the behavior has come after the story came out. During the trial you reference, he expressed no remorse.

He fell in the draft and some teams wanted nothing to do with him. This isn't just a "court of public opinion."

Reactions: BlackMetalED

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

that's the state of the world

he pled guilty, he did whatever the court told him to do.. i'm not gonna defend his actions, but i'm not going out of my way to make his life more difficult

i'll just choose not to be a fan, and move on. wish more people could do the same

Token

May 15, 2019
Painting people as if they're mindlessly SJWing here is pretty f***ing insulting honestly and a really, really dark place to make a stand. Like I said I believe in second chances, but it takes a little more remorse for me to let anyone past the "criminally abusing a handicapped minor of color" tape. If that makes me a drooler, much happier to be a drooler than whatever the opposite would be. Jesus man
Ouch man! Didn’t mean to strike a nerve. I’m a casual observer. Sorry if my ability to think and read upset you.

Yeah, the facts of the crime are nasty. The facts that this happened when both were minors also stands.

Don’t shoot the messenger for pointing out that the current laws that reflect our accepted moral standards afford considerations to minors.

If you can’t tell the difference between the two, not sure what else I can say to help you out if your rage.

Think before you type. That was uncalled for.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ouch man! Didn’t mean to strike a nerve. I’m a casual observer. Sorry if my ability to think and read upset you.

Yeah, the facts of the crime are nasty. The facts that this happened when both were minors also stands.

Don’t shoot the messenger for pointing out that the current laws that reflect our accepted moral standards afford considerations to minors.

If you can’t tell the difference between the two, not sure what else I can say to help you out if your rage.

Think before you type. That was uncalled for.

It's not even that. You're entitled to your opinion. Painting everyone that doesn't share your opinion as if they're not thinking, though, is utter trash.

In my eyes, being a minor doesn't excuse him from contrition, this is a severe case. This isn't I went out, partied, did something stupid on a weekend once; this is I systematically abused a handicapped minority for nearly a decade then when caught I only did the bare minimum that I was legally forced to after lying about it. Edit: and to make things more gross he knows he's up shit creek enough that while he isn't showing much remorse for the incident, he did pen an "i'm sorry please draft me" letter to NHL teams. What the self-serving f***.

I can tell the difference between the two very clearly and I also can acknowledge that he hasn't done nearly enough to move past it, especially given how he abused his position of privilege and is trying to walk right into the NHL like nothing ever happened. I'm not here to change your mind or force anyone to think like me. I just take umbrage with your suggestion to a good amount of the forum that if we don't feel like you it's because we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. We don't have to agree but if you can't recognize/respect well-reasoned opinions you're going to get backlash no matter how much I like you.

Last edited:

Token

May 15, 2019
It's not even that. You're entitled to your opinion. Painting everyone that doesn't share your opinion as if they're not thinking, though, is utter trash.

In my eyes, being a minor doesn't excuse him from contrition, this is a severe case. This isn't I went out, partied, did something stupid on a weekend once; this is I systematically abused a handicapped minority for nearly a decade then when caught I only did the bare minimum that I was legally forced to after lying about it.

I can tell the difference between the two very clearly and I also can acknowledge that he hasn't done nearly enough to move past it, especially given how he abused his position of privilege and is trying to walk right into the NHL like nothing ever happened. I'm not here to change your mind or force anyone to think like me. I just take umbrage with your suggestion to a good amount of the forum that if we don't feel like you it's because we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. We don't have to agree but if you can't recognize/respect well-reasoned opinions you're going to get backlash no matter how much I like you.
Sorry RJ, I think we are talking past each other.

I legit don’t see where I have put down the good amount of the forum.

I’m not goofing here, really want to understand what was so egregious.

As far as I can see I have not suppressed anyone’s opinion, have not called anyone out of their name.

I did editorialize on our current culture of sensational headlines and TMZ-like mob mentality of modern times. Is that it? Is that the rub?

Im also critical of folks who are so quick to judge in general, but I doubt that’s in.

Help me out please. I like it here in this board. ;)

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
are people actually comparing Stoll doing coke in Vegas and Richards’ addiction to painkillers to a psychopath racistly abusing a black disabled kid for years?

Last edited:

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
are people actually comparing Stoll doing coke in Vegas and Richards’ addiction to painkillers to a psychopath racistly abusing a black disabled kid for years?
He's not s psychopath. Also, in no way did his bullying have anything to do with race. Since the intention was not racially motivated, color should not be added to his grievances.
He's not a psychopath. He WAS just an asshole.

Reactions: ibleedkings

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He's not s psychopath. Also, in no way did his bullying have anything to do with race. Since the intention was not racially motivated, color should not be added to his grievances.

Do you know the language he used? I would suggest reading up on the matter.

Your slack definition of racism isn't what matters anyway.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
- wiped a lollipop in a urinal and made a mentally disabled kid eat it is not just being an asshole.
- calling him the n word does make it racially motivated
- he slammed the kid's head in a brick wall
- this bullying started in second grade and escalated. Up until they were 14. This wasn't a singular incident of being mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad