Around the League delayed season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I wouldn't mind sucking for just one more year and drafting Clarke/Power/Edvinsson/Hughes/Lambos. We should take on Loui Eriksson's contract for Vancouver's first next year too, then draft Jesper Wallstedt. Adding #1 defenseman and #1 goalie to our prospect pool would just be the icing on the cake.
I would mind. Sucking sucks.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would mind. Sucking sucks.

Sucking sucks when your team is old and shitty. Sucking isn’t terrible if your team is young and growing and almost there. I think we moved onto the second suck at the end of last season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't think that sucking as much as 2019 and most of 2020 is good for the roster at this point: especially if more of the young guys are getting a shot.

But yes: sucking enough for another lottery pick is definitely on the menu and I will take an order of it. You just hope that when they finish like 8-9th worst overall that they get some more lottery luck and move up a few spots. Even then, adding another Top 10 pick the current prospect pool is very nice.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
that's a nice letter, and they said the r-word to boot (rebuilding)

straightforward and honest

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yea but the Hawks have an advantage in young NHL players plus Toews and Kane should be good for a few more years.
I disagree. By the time the young guys on the Blackhawks are ready to be contenders, Toews and possibly Kane will be way past their time as useful members of a championship caliber roster. Also, with the salary cap not going up for the foreseeable future their contracts will continue to handicap Chicago.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I disagree. By the time the young guys on the Blackhawks are ready to be contenders, Toews and possibly Kane will be way past their time as useful members of a championship caliber roster. Also, with the salary cap not going up for the foreseeable future their contracts will continue to handicap Chicago.

Disagree with what? Do the Kings have anyone better than DeBrincat, Kubalik, Strome ? They are all good players now and better than any young roster player LA has currently. You can make a case for Vilardi and Kings have a ton of potential but current NHL club has to go to the Hawks. Kane and Toews are younger and more productive than Kopitar. Kings have more long term potential with prospects but Kopitar and maybe Doughty will be finished. I think Toews and Kane will be good in 3-4 years if the Hawks retool. They need D badly...

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
Hawks defense on the NHL club is horrific. Kings presently have much better defensemen and goaltenders. And Kings forwards play much better in their own end than the Hawks.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Why even draft a guy like that? It's one thing at the top of the draft where talent might be so great over the next guy and you feel ok with the dude. But a 4th rounder -- ehhh, next. Just not worth the hassle let alone if the kid is truly a POS as an adult as he is as a kid.

Token

May 15, 2019
I hesitate to criticize any organization considering some of the less than savory incidents in Kings history these past dozen years or so.

What is sad is that this happens pretty much everywhere. We just get to see tiny bits every now and then.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hesitate to criticize any organization considering some of the less than savory incidents in Kings history these past dozen years or so.

What is sad is that this happens pretty much everywhere. We just get to see tiny bits every now and then.

Even so, players doing dumb shit 10 years into their pro career is far different than knowing this and still drafting him, or cheating to know more about prospects than any other team and still drafting him.

The Kings might have channeled the 90s Cowboys for a minute there but they were recreational drug incidents not literal hate crimes. I think it's fair to set the bar a little higher than criminally abusing a handicapped minor of color.

I'm as big a believer in 2nd chances as anyone but this is criminal behavior with no remorse shown. He's gotten away with it for so long simply for being an athlete. What a rotten culture.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

There are certainly a few oddities over the past decade for LA: the Mark Hardy sexual abuse thing, Jarret Stoll doing coke in Vegas, Mike Richards addicted to painkillers and bringing them over the border, et cetera. Those certainly had an impact on the organization in one way or another, but the Kings were able to wash their hands of all of it because they were players and coaches at the end of their tenure.

The obvious elephant in the room is Voynov. If Slava had a history of domestic abuse, there’s no way the Kings would have taken him. For a GM with such an affinity towards character (almost to a fault), that was the crack in the foundation that led to any hope of a dynasty vanishing.

That Coyotes pick is akin to if Voynov had a long and storied history of domestic violence, and the Kings said, “That’s our guy.”

Just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille