Around the League delayed season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
He's not s psychopath. Also, in no way did his bullying have anything to do with race. Since the intention was not racially motivated, color should not be added to his grievances.
He's not a psychopath. He WAS just an asshole.

uh, nope, it was racist, and it went on for years. why does anyone feel the need to defend this guy?

“Fourteen-year-olds know better than to taunt an African American classmate by repeatedly calling him the “N-word” and “brownie”.”

Coyotes fight bullying and racism by drafting a racist bully. Genius

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
How does one get convicted of bullying?

He didn't, he did however....

upload_2020-10-27_13-58-38.png

He's not s psychopath. Also, in no way did his bullying have anything to do with race. Since the intention was not racially motivated, color should not be added to his grievances.
He's not a psychopath. He WAS just an asshole.

upload_2020-10-27_13-58-16.png

If what Miller did was him being just an "asshole", please describe what actions would make him psychotic.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
that's the state of the world

he pled guilty, he did whatever the court told him to do.. i'm not gonna defend his actions, but i'm not going out of my way to make his life more difficult

i'll just choose not to be a fan, and move on. wish more people could do the same
He plead guilty because it was a slam dunk with it on video. The guilty plea reduced his sentence and he only wrote to the NHL teams because it was in his interest to do so. Everything he’s done since going to court has seemed self serving and disingenuous. I’m fine with second chances but he’s not yet earned one from everything I’ve seen and read.

edit: sorry, posted before reading the request to move it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
0cwrtmjujpv51.png

A follow up to the stuff surrounding Miller. The mother of the boy he bullied released a statement. Yikes.

Reactions: tbrown33

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I appreciated both what ND and the Coyotes org said about their responsibility to help him become a better person. It's like everyone but the kid himself gets it. f***ing infuriating.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Whistles...... that really sucks for the victim and his family to go through all of this. It's the Coyotes' problem to deal with. How will they respond to this to start the healing process for everyone involved, along with all of the other baggage that the franchise has received throughout this year?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Disagree with what? Do the Kings have anyone better than DeBrincat, Kubalik, Strome ? They are all good players now and better than any young roster player LA has currently. You can make a case for Vilardi and Kings have a ton of potential but current NHL club has to go to the Hawks. Kane and Toews are younger and more productive than Kopitar. Kings have more long term potential with prospects but Kopitar and maybe Doughty will be finished. I think Toews and Kane will be good in 3-4 years if the Hawks retool. They need D badly...

I think Kopitar and Doughty will be finished by the time the Kings prospects can make a difference. I also think at a minimum Toews will be on the decline sooner rather than later. Kane has a shot at maintaining his current level of play for a few more years.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think Kopitar and Doughty will be finished by the time the Kings prospects can make a difference. I also think at a minimum Toews will be on the decline sooner rather than later. Kane has a shot at maintaining his current level of play for a few more years.

Depends on what you mean by "finished." I think Kopitar will always maintain his two-way play. I can see his scoring dropping. Ultimately, he will be an awesome 3C once the kids take over the 1C and 2C spots. I don't see Doughty completely falling off the map. I think his offense may go down (as it has for several years now), but once he gets some real support with the kids developing and taking over some minutes on D, he will be solid.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Depends on what you mean by "finished." I think Kopitar will always maintain his two-way play. I can see his scoring dropping. Ultimately, he will be an awesome 3C once the kids take over the 1C and 2C spots. I don't see Doughty completely falling off the map. I think his offense may go down (as it has for several years now), but once he gets some real support with the kids developing and taking over some minutes on D, he will be solid.

That's what's so exciting about our top players. Their strengths aren't things that go away with age. Doughty and Kopitar don't rely on speed. They're smart defensive players first and foremost, and have a lot of other really great qualities in addition to those core attributes.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
He didn't, he did however....

View attachment 374536

View attachment 374535

If what Miller did was him being just an "asshole", please describe what actions would make him psychotic.
While I did not read the report prior to posting (my bad) I will debate the psychopath claim. Now that I have read up on the account I will say that he was the antithesis of a psychopath. His actions seem to request approval and attention from those around. Pack mentality.
He wasn't bringing this kid home and torturing him as a trigger release. There isn't any way that we can know if the reaction to his actions created empathy or remorse. It's conjecture one way or the other.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Obviously 14 year old miller is a douche, but I don't know what he is like now. Does anyone?

For those raking him over the coals (not sure I am not one of them) what is fair for Miller? I struggle with that. Should what he did mean he never gets to reach the NHL? I imagine it impacted his draft stock, so is going later and therefore likely singing for less an adequate punishment? Is the punishment he already received enough? I really do not know what would be fair, maybe he should have to eat a piss popsicle made from people who can donate to a charity of the victim in this stories choice. Should his career earning be garnished?

I was an asshole and in some peoples eyes probably a bully when I was 14, but that is not who I am today. I would be pissed if I could not get a promotion because of something dumb I did as a kid.

I will say though in this case it is too bad the victim was never called by any team, or not apologized to from Miller.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I was an asshole and in some peoples eyes probably a bully when I was 14, but that is not who I am today. I would be pissed if I could not get a promotion because of something dumb I did as a kid.
I guess it depends on how extreme your behaviour was and if you subsequently demonstrate contrition and remorse. I think what this kid did exceeds being ‘dumb’.

My issue with things today, not so much the offence (which is appalling) but the lack of any meaningful remorse or real apology. If he continues to hold the beliefs and attitudes he had when he was 14 he deserves nothing. If he has genuinely changed he needs to swallow his pride and hold his hands up properly, which he has not done. The problem he has now is that whatever he does, it will feel like stage managed PR as opposed to anything sincere.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I guess it depends on how extreme your behaviour was and if you subsequently demonstrate contrition and remorse. I think what this kid did exceeds being ‘dumb’.

My issue with things today, not so much the offence (which is appalling) but the lack of any meaningful remorse or real apology. If he continues to hold the beliefs and attitudes he had when he was 14 he deserves nothing. If he has genuinely changed he needs to swallow his pride and hold his hands up properly, which he has not done. The problem he has now is that whatever he does, it will feel like stage managed PR as opposed to anything sincere.

so what do you think a suitable punishment would be for him?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
so what do you think a suitable punishment would be for him?
Sports are an entertainment industry, its non-essential. His particular skill set isn't vital to the success of the sport by any stretch of the imagination, so if the fans of a team (or every team) deem his particular offense to be so off-putting that they don't want him, well, eff him.

Good luck selling insurance or used cars. Nobody has the right to be a pro athlete. We decide who gets that chance by displaying our opinions and dollars. Second chances can come via a new career path not dependant on public approval.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

In case anyone here isn’t a Grand Forks Herald subscription holder. :laugh:

That was actually a very good, balanced response by Brad Miller.

I really do like ND's statement and stance, the missing element is the kid himself acknowledging his past and the work to be done. Everyone is doing the right things but Miller himself. He's gotta earn the chance, not just walk into it.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

In case anyone here isn’t a Grand Forks Herald subscription holder. :laugh:

"I do think everybody deserves a second chance in life," Brad said. "I really do. He was young when all this stuff happened, I get that, but you're old enough to know right from wrong at 14 years old. If you're bullying a handicapped kid when you're 14 years old, and something in your head doesn't click that this isn't right, I don't think you're ever going to figure it out.

"Do I think he needs to be banished from society and sent to the moon and left there until the end of time? No. Do I think he forfeits his right to get a college scholarship at the University of North Dakota? Yes. Do I think he forfeits his right to play in the NHL? Yes."
Brad said he's not in favor of "canceling" people for every little mistake, but said this situation is not an example of that.

"I don't think one thing should define the way your life goes, but I do think there are consequences to actions," Brad said. "Are we just going to cancel someone every time they make a mistake? I hate that. I hate the way the world is right now. I hate it. People are canceling everything for the smallest little things. But this is not that. This is not that. He didn't get caught throwing a plastic bottle out on the Interstate. It's different.

"Hockey. . . I thought everyone was on the same page. We need to eliminate this (stuff) from hockey. We need to eliminate people who think this way."

Near the end of the article:

"I think he should be able to go on and live a good life, make up for what he's done, go and get an education and find a job," Brad said. "I just don't think it should be hockey. I don't think he should have the right to play professional hockey when that's the exact thing we're trying to get rid of."

I think what Mitchell Miller did as a 14-year old was despicable. He committed a crime as a minor and suffered the consequences.

Is banning him from hockey for life going to make him a better person?

We all want to deal with nothing but ethical people in every walk of our lives. This never happens. Now that Mitchell Miller is a young adult by all means hold him fully accountable and dismiss him from the program if he ever does it again, and people are free to hold their own opinions on the quality of his character. The young man has much to consider going forward and has a lot of work to do in order to earn the respect of his peers, coaches, and UND fans.

At this time, I don't think a lifetime ban from his chosen vocation is the answer.

Reactions: Faterson

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I will never understand the "He was only 14" crowd. You say "he was only 14" when he gets a hold of his mom's peach schnapps, goes to the mall and whips out his dick to the girl bouncing on the lemonade at Hot Dog on a Stick. Not when he's systematically attacking someone for years.

Reactions: YP44 and Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"I do think everybody deserves a second chance in life," Brad said. "I really do. He was young when all this stuff happened, I get that, but you're old enough to know right from wrong at 14 years old. If you're bullying a handicapped kid when you're 14 years old, and something in your head doesn't click that this isn't right, I don't think you're ever going to figure it out.

"Do I think he needs to be banished from society and sent to the moon and left there until the end of time? No. Do I think he forfeits his right to get a college scholarship at the University of North Dakota? Yes. Do I think he forfeits his right to play in the NHL? Yes."
Brad said he's not in favor of "canceling" people for every little mistake, but said this situation is not an example of that.

"I don't think one thing should define the way your life goes, but I do think there are consequences to actions," Brad said. "Are we just going to cancel someone every time they make a mistake? I hate that. I hate the way the world is right now. I hate it. People are canceling everything for the smallest little things. But this is not that. This is not that. He didn't get caught throwing a plastic bottle out on the Interstate. It's different.

"Hockey. . . I thought everyone was on the same page. We need to eliminate this (stuff) from hockey. We need to eliminate people who think this way."

Near the end of the article:

"I think he should be able to go on and live a good life, make up for what he's done, go and get an education and find a job," Brad said. "I just don't think it should be hockey. I don't think he should have the right to play professional hockey when that's the exact thing we're trying to get rid of."

I think what Mitchell Miller did as a 14-year old was despicable. He committed a crime as a minor and suffered the consequences.

Is banning him from hockey for life going to make him a better person?

We all want to deal with nothing but ethical people in every walk of our lives. This never happens. Now that Mitchell Miller is a young adult by all means hold him fully accountable and dismiss him from the program if he ever does it again, and people are free to hold their own opinions on the quality of his character. The young man has much to consider going forward and has a lot of work to do in order to earn the respect of his peers, coaches, and UND fans.

At this time, I don't think a lifetime ban from his chosen vocation is the answer.

I don't agree with him not being able to play ever, but Miller is absolutely right re: scholarships which often come with citizenship & ethics requirements, and so long as now-adult Mitch keeps trying to evade responsibility, then yeah, he shouldn't be allowed the privilege of being a role model. There's gotta be some contrition and that's coming from literally every other source but him.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I think anyone saying what he can and cannot do in his life 5 years after the last case is an absolute Jack ass. This "brad" guy literally talks out of both sides of his mouth in that column.
This was investigated and put to bed. Unfortunately people are trained to see everything as black/white or black and blue now days. No benefit of doubt.
I spent my youth picked on because I was younger and smaller at school. I spent my upper teen years beating them. It made me stronger and many are now my good friends. One of these kids who picked on me was abused by his step father. Now he is a councilor and a man I'd trust my life with.

Obviously, I was in a different place and had the means to defend myself. Unlike this mentality challenged kid. However, I read people for a living. I break down patterns of behavior. Yes, it's a bad start and obviously he starts behind the 8 ball but it's simply unfair for anyone to judge and control and adult who was already judged and controlled as a child.
We do not know the underlying reasons. We do not know anything except the negative. We DO know that it's human nature to look for flaws rather than to look for positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad