NHL Around the League: 2021 Regular Season II - Poutineville fires Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A question for anyone who might know...

Did Dick Irvin, Toe Blake, or Scotty Bowman speak passable French? They have 16 Stanley Cup championships between them and I’m wondering if they would have qualified as Canadiens coaching material under today’s criteria?

Thoughts...?

Reactions: lopey

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Did Dick Irvin, Toe Blake, or Scotty Bowman speak passable French? They have 16 Stanley Cup championships between them and I’m wondering if they would have qualified as Canadiens coaching material under today’s criteria?

Thoughts...?
You pick the right coach for the job, period, regardless of whether or not they speak French.
I was surprised Muller was let go to and he does not speak French.
My guess is Patrick Roy may get a call now?

Reactions: rfournier103

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You pick the right coach for the job, period, regardless of whether or not they speak French.
I was surprised Muller was let go to and he does not speak French.
My guess is Patrick Roy may get a call now?
why Roy owns the Remparts in QC, doubtful that connection as to why he shot himself out of Montreal would endear a return outside of his retirement ceremony/banner raising

Reactions: Gordoff

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
"Short handed Flyers"

As if the Bruins weren't missing Krejci...Grzelcyk....Miller....Zboril.... Essentially Lauzon too

Exactly. What about the short-handed Bruins that were one win away from being champs in 2019? Bruins had to go with Steve K at one point and still got a big goal out of him. Karson Kuhlman was on the 2nd line in the finals as well. Teams just need more depth like the Bruins.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What he has done lately is turn a very underwhelming Montreal roster in the past 5 years into a bubble team that no one wants to play against.

You do not put Claude at the helm of a young rebuilding team. You put him at the head of a veteran team looking to play better than they are.

Montreal has gone from the latter to the former. So, time to change.

Unless you are in the middle of one of those numerous losing streaks.

I don’t agree with your take and I don’t really see the fact to back it up. They’ve had runs where they seem to be outperforming their roster, but they’ve had plenty of awful runs. I’m not holding Claude to the standard of turning Montreal into a contender, but I don’t think he deserves perpetual, never-ending benefit of the doubt because of his past successes. Can’t say I’ve heard anyone (other than us nervous Bruins fans) saying Montreal is a team that “no one wants to play against” in the past number of years.

He had a “veteran roster” when he got fired in 2017 and the team immediately started playing better after he was let go. Take a look at their record after he was fired.

FREDERIC82FAN

Adherent of JOHNNY V fanclub
Oct 9, 2017
GeeWally.jpg

"Gee Wally, Price and more: What Canadiens must fix after firing Claude Julien

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Thoughts...?

Blake's mother was French and he spoke it fluently. Bowman was also fluent in French. Don't know about Irvin.

Note, this in no way means I support that team's silly insistence on French speaking coaches, except for it being a big reason they are '93 Forever.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
This is a bizarre season to begin with; no preseason games and the Sens didn't qualify for the play-in. So in addition to lots of new faces, the returning players hadn't competed in quite some time.

It will be interesting how they play against teams that feasted on them out of the gate. Even then, with just average goaltending they'd have won more games.

I'm sure the consecutive losses to Ottawa weren't the sole reason for Claude's dismissal. But they did seemingly give Bergevin the reason he needed.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad