NHL Around the League: 2021 Regular Season II - Poutineville fires Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
why Roy owns the Remparts in QC, doubtful that connection as to why he shot himself out of Montreal would endear a return outside of his retirement ceremony/banner raising
He has had discussions with Bergevin before about the coaching position with the Habs, not sure how involved the discussions were, however, I thought MB might circle back and pick up the talks again.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Sportsnet calling the Leafs the " wounded Leafs " what a joke, the Bruins have more injuries then they do. I didn't know that having old man Thornton, Simmonds, Muzzin and Frederic Anderson out tonight constitutes an injury crisis. All of their top guys are healthy, the media here in Canada make it almost impossible to not hate the Leafs.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know how to embed the tweet, but during the Julien era the Habs PP was 26th overall, and the PK was 29th. He got them into the playoffs the season he was fired in Boston and jumped to the Habs. Didn't qualify the next two years, only qualified last year basically on a technicality where the Habs were significantly behind the other Eastern teams. Currently 4th in the division and dropping.

Maybe the firing isn't that surprising. If that was his results in Boston the past few seasons we'd be calling for his head long ago.
You can either right-click, copy, and paste the Tweet's url in the post. Or when you go to post, click on the Media button (looks like film tape) which is to the left of the camera icon, paste the link, and then click on Embed.

Reactions: BruinDust

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
He has had discussions with Bergevin before about the coaching position with the Habs, not sure how involved the discussions were, however, I thought MB might circle back and pick up the talks again.
Quebec City and Montreal.... it's not just Bergevin, it's the Canadiens ownership..... I just don't think Patrick wants to be involved with Montreal and the climate that exists there, whereas the Remparts he has full control over that....

it's why it took a lot longer to heal the rift between the 2 factions..... remember Colorado is the Nordiques franchise as you saw on Saturday in Lake Tahoe.... and why Ray and Patrick had their #'s retired by them even though their legend status was elsewhere

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Buffalo should hire Julien. Not that I want that franchise to succeed but they need what Julien brings. And if not Buffalo, Edmonton. Any of these teams that have the talent but no structure to win NHL games could use Julien.
I can't see the Pegulas doing that. Katz and the Oilers have more issues than coaching retreads....

Reactions: veganbruin

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Very true. Don’t get me wrong I hate the Sabres, but I do think Julien would help the Oilers atleast make sure they make the playoffs.
the Oilers have had issues long before Julien, though, and most of those are Katz related, which makes that market unstable.... remember their history under Pocklington, too.....

yes, EDM has McDavid/Draisatil, just like we do with Beregeron/Marchand/Pastrnak.

Pittsburgh's the same way once Lemieux went to management/ownership.... now it's Crosby/Malkin, before that Jagr was the 1B

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Buffalo should hire Julien. Not that I want that franchise to succeed but they need what Julien brings. And if not Buffalo, Edmonton. Any of these teams that have the talent but no structure to win NHL games could use Julien.
Yup, Edmonton needs his kind of disciplined leadership. It would be a ballsy move by them. Especially if they then went far in the playoffs a kick in the teeth of the Habs...

Reactions: BMC and veganbruin

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Sportsnet calling the Leafs the " wounded Leafs " what a joke, the Bruins have more injuries then they do. I didn't know that having old man Thornton, Simmonds, Muzzin and Frederic Anderson out tonight constitutes an injury crisis. All of their top guys are healthy, the media here in Canada make it almost impossible to not hate the Leafs.
I couldn’t give two shits what Sportsnet has to say about the Leafs, or what their injury problems are. They can put their big boy pants on and deal with it just like the other 30 teams.

Reactions: BMC and veganbruin

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A question for anyone who might know...

Did Dick Irvin, Toe Blake, or Scotty Bowman speak passable French? They have 16 Stanley Cup championships between them and I’m wondering if they would have qualified as Canadiens coaching material under today’s criteria?

Thoughts...?

Scotty did speak French I don't about the others but that wasn't a thing at the time. We never heard of such prerequisits at the time. I think it became a thing when French media was continously getting beaten to the news flashes of the day with the arrival of TSN. At the same time French nationalism was on the rise. The politicians were turning everything tribal and the media followed suite.

Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad