NHL Around the League: 2021 Regular Season II - Poutineville fires Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You pick the right coach for the job, period, regardless of whether or not they speak French.
I was surprised Muller was let go to and he does not speak French.
My guess is Patrick Roy may get a call now?

Well Muller doesn't do to many pressers so nobody cares if he can speak french or not. I wasn't surprised at all he was fired, I was surprised he lasted as long as he did. He's been running a hopeless PP for way to long.

I don't see Bergevin who is on the hot seat himself wanting to deal with the time bomb that is Patrick Roy.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Scotty did speak French I don't about the others but that wasn't a thing at the time. We never heard of such prerequisits at the time. I think it became a thing when French media was continously getting beaten to the news flashes of the day with the arrival of TSN. At the same time French nationalism was on the rise. The politicians were turning everything tribal and the media followed suite.

As someone of French Canadian descent, I find all of this very interesting. Thank you for the insight.

I don't see Bergevin who is on the hot seat himself wanting to deal with the time bomb that is Patrick Roy.
I imagine he wouldn’t, but it would be fascinating to watch. I don’t know if Roy would go back to the Canadiens, anyway...

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
So how is the NHL going to handle the Canadian division when it comes to the playoffs?
Top 4 from each division make playoffs...each team needs to get out of their own division...so 2 series to do that based on 1 vs 4; 2 vs 3 and winners play to win division....then division winners reseeded with top 4 in semi finals...winner of those 2 series goes to SCF.

I think...lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As someone of French Canadian descent, I find all of this very interesting. Thank you for the insight.

I imagine he wouldn’t, but it would be fascinating to watch. I don’t know if Roy would go back to the Canadiens, anyway...

It's been a long time since I've read it, but Ken Dryden's book is a great piece of literature if you're interested in learning about hockey intersecting with Quebecois politics in the 70s.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Flyers vs Boston 0-3-2
Flyers vs Everyone Else 9-1-1

Watched the extended highlights...both the Flyers and Rangers looked terrible defensively. The amount and type of chances they both gave up made me cringe, entertaining, but cringe. Most times you watch Bruin's highlights, you see nothing of that amount.

I believe the North is the worst defensively, but that game looked on par with that division.

Not surprised the Bruins do well against them, and makes me wonder how good they'd be playing in the North, with all team's playing that way, and worse.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Rather interesting interview with Babcock.

At 4:30 he said the Leafs made sure to finish last to get Auston Matthews.

I don't know what the big deal is, everyone with functioning brain cells knew the Leafs were tanking for Matthews. The only interesting thing is to hear Babcock publicly admit it- taking a shot at his former employer perhaps??

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
why Roy owns the Remparts in QC, doubtful that connection as to why he shot himself out of Montreal would endear a return outside of his retirement ceremony/banner raising
One of my favorite moments in sports -- despite the fact I don't like Roy because he was and still is in my mind part of a Habs era filled with POS's.

Many dream of telling a boss "you'll be sorry when I go" -- but few do, and few people make a big enough difference to be a true loss to any organization. Life goes on.

However, King Asshole Mario Tremblay embarrasses Roy. Fans jeer Roy. Roy finally gets pulled, glares at Tremblay as he walks by him on the bench, and then goes back in front of everyone and publicly and not in a friendly way tellsMontreal President directly behind bench what is what. That was my last time playing in a Habs jersey.

Fast forward..... Colorado wins Cup in no small part due to Roy and his stellar play.... and Habs are ultimately left saying "Mon Dieu et sacre bleu -- Mario Tremblay et un Asshole Roi!!!!!" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Magic.

1993 Habs win Cup. Roy with .929 Sv % and 2.13 GAA in Playoffs.
1995 Tremblay embarrasses Roy. Roy tells Habs to f*** Off.
1996 Roy wins Cup with Colorado. Roy with .921 Sv % and 2.10 GAA in Playoffs.
2001 Roy wins Cup with Colorado. Roy with .934 Sv % and 1.70 GAA in Playoffs.
1994 to date ------ Habs win f*** all.:laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Good article about NHLers getting their degrees. Love to see that.

Back to school: NHLers past and present show it's never too late to pursue college degree

Especially love this from Backes:

Ducks forward David Backes also went back to school. He left Minnesota State in 2006 still proud of his 4.0-grade-point average in electrical engineering. Backes told his mother he’d eventually finish and took advantage of the 2012-13 NHL lockout to resume his classwork.
He switched majors to applied organizational studies and nonprofit leadership. Part of the reason was that it fit well with the charity that he and his wife, Katie, started, Athletes for Animals, a foundation filled with pro athletes with a shared passion for rescuing and protecting the welfare of homeless pets.
Backes even got class credits for his work in CBA negotiations. He did a couple of classes per semester during the lockout and then another class and independent study during the season.
“We had weekly assignments that weren’t a hard deadline, so I was able to do most of it either reading on the plane or filling my time in the road hotel,” Backes said. “You know, those dead times where a lot of it often gets filled up watching TV.”
Did any of his teammates ever rib him about hitting the books?
“Well, I’m not ashamed of being a nerd,” Backes said. “So rib me all you want. But before that, it was working on my pilot’s license. It’s about me continuing to learn and stimulating my mind. I think a lot of other guys that leave school early look at it saying, ‘I need to do that.’ But do they have the initiative? I think the first step in that getting back to the swing of things is definitely the hardest.”
Backes said the NHLPA has a continuing education plan that will help players find their own tailored approach. They encourage players to think of their development off the ice, and have experts available to assist them.
“I’ve been telling guys, ‘Now is the time to go back,’” Backes said.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Was browsing capfriendly earlier while I procrastinate from work... I knew it was bad, but I don't think I truly grasped how terrible the Skinner contract is for Buffalo. $9 million per through 2027.... That's 6 more seasons after this one. 0 goals this year, 14 last year in 57 games.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Good article about NHLers getting their degrees. Love to see that.

Back to school: NHLers past and present show it's never too late to pursue college degree

Especially love this from Backes:

Ducks forward David Backes also went back to school. He left Minnesota State in 2006 still proud of his 4.0-grade-point average in electrical engineering. Backes told his mother he’d eventually finish and took advantage of the 2012-13 NHL lockout to resume his classwork.
He switched majors to applied organizational studies and nonprofit leadership. Part of the reason was that it fit well with the charity that he and his wife, Katie, started, Athletes for Animals, a foundation filled with pro athletes with a shared passion for rescuing and protecting the welfare of homeless pets.
Backes even got class credits for his work in CBA negotiations. He did a couple of classes per semester during the lockout and then another class and independent study during the season.
“We had weekly assignments that weren’t a hard deadline, so I was able to do most of it either reading on the plane or filling my time in the road hotel,” Backes said. “You know, those dead times where a lot of it often gets filled up watching TV.”
Did any of his teammates ever rib him about hitting the books?
“Well, I’m not ashamed of being a nerd,” Backes said. “So rib me all you want. But before that, it was working on my pilot’s license. It’s about me continuing to learn and stimulating my mind. I think a lot of other guys that leave school early look at it saying, ‘I need to do that.’ But do they have the initiative? I think the first step in that getting back to the swing of things is definitely the hardest.”
Backes said the NHLPA has a continuing education plan that will help players find their own tailored approach. They encourage players to think of their development off the ice, and have experts available to assist them.
“I’ve been telling guys, ‘Now is the time to go back,’” Backes said.

David Backes rocks. :yo:

And he's smart- a 4.0 in electrical engineering is incredible, engineering is a tough major with a lot of math involved.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Was browsing capfriendly earlier while I procrastinate from work... I knew it was bad, but I don't think I truly grasped how terrible the Skinner contract is for Buffalo. $9 million per through 2027.... That's 6 more seasons after this one. 0 goals this year, 14 last year in 57 games.

I think at some point they'll just have to buy him out, with those numbers there's no way he remains in the NHL that long.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know what the big deal is, everyone with functioning brain cells knew the Leafs were tanking for Matthews. The only interesting thing is to hear Babcock publicly admit it- taking a shot at his former employer perhaps??
can`t stand this windbag, great coaches find a way to take their teams beyond the first round , he didn`t, in the last 10 years or so he`s had a DNQ and never gone beyond the 2nd round. Over rated egomaniac

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Montreal really cripples themselves by insisting on French speaking management/coaches. Yes, I know that Quebec is fiercely proud of its French heritage but the Habs are cutting themselves off from quality people who could help them. Not that I mind their short sightedness but you would think they'd realize this harms the team. Or maybe they fear the backlash if they decided to go the other way.
Yes and no.
True, that limits their list of candidates, but also, the Habs get an advantage in looking at French-speaking coaches, because well they are petty much the only NHL organization that will hire a "new kid in town" French speaking coach.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Price is getting a ton of blame for CJ firing. Stats seem to back it up as well. But I think the Habs were never built for CJs systems as well. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense and golatenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille