Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think you are right, but there is an ownership split. Some of the owners have that long term view, and some have the short term view where they would rather not lose millions of dollars having an empty arena season.

Exactly. Forbes just released an article about corona's effect on NHL teams. Teams' value either stayed still or decreased even though they managed to finish the season. Their value decreased for the first time in 19 years. After so long period of growth, it could all come down very quickly.

I am not sure, which teams would like to skip the season, which wouldn't. I imagine that the Ducks would want to play. They are not that popular franchise so they need action to remain relevant.

Reactions: McDonald19

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If the NHL cancels because of financial concerns they won’t just have to deal with potentially losing popularity because they’re not in the public’s eye but the players association would likely take legal action against the league. It would get really messy for the NHL to cancel.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If this sticks, may want to just tank. Lol. Which I hate that mentality. Plus won’t even be as good as a draft. Will be fighting for 5th place. If Min is swapped with St. Louis, which is possible from what I heard, then maybe, if healthy, can sneak into that last 4th playoff spot being behind Colorado, Vegas, and Dallas. But really is a stretch. So many things have to go right for them.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Eastern division is worse. We have 4 good teams and three bottom feeders to compete with, the Eastern division has 5 of the best Eastern teams from last season plus the Rangers and Sabres who have both improved immensely.

Meanwhile the central division will be an absolute cakewalk for Tampa. They are the only legit contender in that division.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Eastern division is worse. We have 4 good teams and three bottom feeders to compete with, the Eastern division has 5 of the best Eastern teams from last season plus the Rangers and Sabres who have both improved immensely.

Meanwhile the central division will be an absolute cakewalk for Tampa. They are the only legit contender in that division.

It’s like a buffet for Tampa, who do they want to eat first, lol.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t think our division is as easy as you guys think. Outside of Arizona and LA it’s going to be tough. SJ will be better and the rest of those teams are tough obviously

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are they planning on just sheltering in one bubble city per division?

Those details are to be confirmed but it sounded like the appetite is to play home games in teams actual buildings. There will probably be some exceptions to that but that’s the plan at the moment.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Letting teams play in their own environment for that long is just asking for an NFL-like situation.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
California lock downs
Especially San Jose for now
Are an ever looming obstacle

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
California lock downs
Especially San Jose for now
Are an ever looming obstacle

Sounds like the thinking at this stage SJ will stay in Arizona for home games if need be.

it seems inevitable that some sort of hubs will need to come into play though at least to start the season. The NHL is going to have a hard time marking this work.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd like to see SJ make the playoffs so that their 2021st rounder is a low one and i do expect them to improve over last season
but SJ won't be getting that much better because its yet another year older of Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Karlsson, Jones.
34 yearold Dubnyk has been declining 3 years in a row: .918, .913 and .890 past 3 seasons, at his age and the decline he's shown they'll be lucky to see .906 SV% out of him.
The return of 41 yearold Marleau probably won't contribute much.

Hopefully the Sharks get more points than the Ducks so the Ducks get a higher pick but i'm worried the Sharks will get a higher pick as well as the lottery rewarding them a higher one.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah SJS is in even worse situation than us because of those contracts. I fully expect us to be above them this year in the standings as well.

Well... that's not a given though

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
No preseason games and the bottom 7 teams from last year only get 3 extra days of camp. Our season opener is going to be ugly.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No preseason games and the bottom 7 teams from last year only get 3 extra days of camp. Our season opener is going to be ugly.

Not having high hopes for the entire season to be honest. Especially with the division set up. I hate tanking but maybe this is an opportunity to get a Top 3 pick.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not having high hopes for the entire season to be honest. Especially with the division set up. I hate tanking but maybe this is an opportunity to get a Top 3 pick.

That said in a shortened season anything can happen. I’m expecting a bit of rust but if Gibson can steal some games early and we bank some points we could easily steal a wildcard spot.

that’s dependant on the divisional alignment of course. Hopefully we can catch a break there and lose the Blues and gain the Wild.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That said in a shortened season anything can happen. I’m expecting a bit of rust but if Gibson can steal some games early and we bank some points we could easily steal a wildcard spot.

that’s dependant on the divisional alignment of course. Hopefully we can catch a break there and lose the Blues and gain the Wild.

If the Blues and Wild swap will be a little more optimistic. Gonna play these teams like 8 times. So yeah anything is possible I guess but i am being cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad