Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Mitch Miller thing is weird. I get not drafting him on character grounds -- I wouldn't draft him -- but I don't get drafting him, being on notice of his background, and then changing your mind. If you think he's turned a corner or something, say so. You're probably wrong, but have a little courage. Terrible decision to draft him, terrible decision to renounce him, by a terribly run franchise.

It pretty much sums up how dysfunctional the Coyotes have been since coming into the NHL.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The Mitch Miller thing is weird. I get not drafting him on character grounds -- I wouldn't draft him -- but I don't get drafting him, being on notice of his background, and then changing your mind. If you think he's turned a corner or something, say so. You're probably wrong, but have a little courage. Terrible decision to draft him, terrible decision to renounce him, by a terribly run franchise.
They somehow didn't do their due diligence on the kid. Even more amazing, they admitted to that fact.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Or they did, and just didn't think it was a big enough deal until the word got around, in which case lying about being derelict looks better than telling the truth about being callous.
I mean, they didn't even talk to the mother of the kid he bullied. That seems like an easy place to start. Just pure incompetence all around.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The same team that was sanctioned for doing illegal extra draft research is also the one that ends up renouncing a pick weeks after the draft....

I think the public outcry only pressured them into addressing the issue with their original statement, it was the letter from the victim's mom that flipped the switch here IMO. That should have been one of their first calls when digging into this kid's situation.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The owner needed to save face and fast. He's on public record insisting that the Coyotes take an active stance against racism and abuse, and yet their actions in drafting this twerp very candidly spoke anything but. It's pathetic, quite frankly.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The worst part of all this isn't that he got drafted in the first place, it's the mental gymnastics I've seen some people do to justify what he did. Sorry, but what he did isn't just a 'kids will be kids' type thing or a 'we all did stupid stuff when we were young', it was waaaaaaaaaaay beyond that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The worst part of all this isn't that he got drafted in the first place, it's the mental gymnastics I've seen some people do to justify what he did. Sorry, but what he did isn't just a 'kids will be kids' type thing or a 'we all did stupid stuff when we were young', it was waaaaaaaaaaay beyond that.

Yeah it’s unjustifiable at any age but if at 18 you’re still not showing remorse for that kind of behaviour then there’s something seriously wrong. And it would be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NHL that uses their highest pick on them.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not to mention he kept doing it for years and never issued a true apology to that poor kid he bullied.

The mom of that boy who was bullied even said in her letter that the other kids who bullied him sent a heartfelt apology and were forgiven. They never got one from Miller.

As many have said: he’s not sorry about his actions, he’s sorry about the ramifications it has on himself and his career. Disgusting
I don’t want a person like that in the NHL

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not to mention he kept doing it for years and never issued a true apology to that poor kid he bullied.

The mom of that boy who was bullied even said in her letter that the other kids who bullied him sent a heartfelt apology and were forgiven. They never got one from Miller.

As many have said: he’s not sorry about his actions, he’s sorry about the ramifications it has on himself and his career. Disgusting
I don’t want a person like that in the NHL

It's pretty much spelled out in the police report that Miller's dad was trying to minimize the event right from the start and didn't understand why it wasn't being shrugged off as boys being boys.

Not to give the kid an excuse but it seems like a classic case of trash people producing trash offspring. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say. The only kids that manage to break the cycle are those who manage to become smart/mature enough at a young age to realize they are being raised by trash. This kid is neither of those two things.

Further proof, his twin sister now takes to twitter to victim blame and point out that they aren't racist because she used to date a black guy. Victim's family is reporting that they are receiving death threats from the Sylvania hockey community.

Again not excusing any of his behavior, but really seems like if he had become a quality young man he would be a rose grown from a landfill. His supporting cast, aka the people supposed to help him understand the error of his ways and make amends are terrible people who don't think he's done anything wrong.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's pretty much spelled out in the police report that Miller's dad was trying to minimize the event right from the start and didn't understand why it wasn't being shrugged off as boys being boys.

Not to give the kid an excuse but it seems like a classic case of trash people producing trash offspring. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say. The only kids that manage to break the cycle are those who manage to become smart/mature enough at a young age to realize they are being raised by trash. This kid is neither of those two things.

Further proof, his twin sister now takes to twitter to victim blame and point out that they aren't racist because she used to date a black guy. Victim's family is reporting that they are receiving death threats from the Sylvania hockey community.

Again not excusing any of his behavior, but really seems like if he had become a quality young man he would be a rose grown from a landfill. His supporting cast, aka the people supposed to help him understand the error of his ways and make amends are terrible people who don't think he's done anything wrong.
Environment is super important and yeah, sounds like for Miller it's super bad. Man... the whole situation is so bad.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the coyotes were 100% aware of what miller had done. they just hoped it'd get swept under the rug and never come out like it did

and once it came out, they really had no choice but to part ways with him

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It was flat-out torture, from what I've read. It's not kids being kids, it's criminal and reprehensible, even given that it was a kid doing it. It's not forgivable except by the victim and his family, and I haven't seen any evidence that Miller has genuinely sought that out. Not saying there's no second chance in Miller's future but it ought to be earned. There's no statute of limitations on the social consequences of reprehensible behavior, typically you have to do the work.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It was flat-out torture, from what I've read. It's not kids being kids, it's criminal and reprehensible, even given that it was a kid doing it. It's not forgivable except by the victim and his family, and I haven't seen any evidence that Miller has genuinely sought that out. Not saying there's no second chance in Miller's future but it ought to be earned. There's no statute of limitations on the social consequences of reprehensible behavior, typically you have to do the work.

This.

It's not like any of us weren't kids, and we don't get it. There is being a kid, and being a bit of an asshole sometimes and even doing some stupid stuff. This wasn't stupid. It wasn't even mean, the way kids can be. It was malicious, and vile.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
NHL reverse retro jerseys.png

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm laughing at the Blackhawks reveal. The league is trying to avoid controversy SO bad that it just becomes conspicuous. For the love of god, if you can't stand behind your logo choice and argue that it's not problematic in good faith, then just have it changed.

Reactions: Kalv and AngelDuck

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
The only ones I'm not a huge fan of are the more recent teams with no real history - CBJ, Panthers, the Wild to some extent but that color scheme is so good. I'll have to break out my North Stars jersey. Love that Carolina and Colorado are going with the former franchise too.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Lundell with a 6 point game and 60+% in FO yesterday.

His team wrecked the worst team in Finnish league 11-1. Although, what was odd about this game was that they did it with 3 forward lines and using a forward in the 3rd pairing with a random U20 player who had no previous experience in men's league. A lot of players were out with the flu, which during these times means staying at home and not playing through it.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
So it seems like next seaon Ducks will be playing in the same division with Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights. All the regular season games will be played between those teams. It will probably be the weakest division. LA and Ducks are rebuilding, Arizona is a mediocre mess, Minnesota is meh, San Jose could rebound but we'll see. Colorado, Dallas and Vegas are clearly the best out of the bunch. I'll assume that there won't be a play-in rounds so 4 best teams go into playoffs, which means that those five inferior team will be fighting for that one spot. I don't see how Ducks could be that team as they haven't improved (yet) in the offseason remarkably. It would require a lot of improvement from prospects and young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad