Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, we can do that! Next time you're out here, let me know - you'll be the first Rangers fan ever I'd by a drink for!

@Ducks DVM already promised to throw half eaten pizza crusts at me next game I go to, but a drink sounds better. Lol. Hoping to get back out there around Nov or Dec , later this year.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah that Florida duel should be great, their games have been heated. A good base for ''Florida-man'' type of situations to come out. Like the recent Patty-Monty incident.

Reactions: duckaroosky

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sounds like Risto and Reinhart also have been more public about their willingness to have no part of the Sabres continuous rebuild.
Sounds like the Sabres will have a busy summer and might be top suitors for Wright and Bedard.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
Kase can't get a break. Seem like he's injured again on the same day he came back.

***Oops i shouldve read the former players thread.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Rangers miss the playoffs on the bubble, show very good progress and they fire their GM, President and head coach.

Ducks have missed the playoffs the last 3 seasons, finished 2nd to last in the league, with the worst goal scoring in the league, and on top of that, the worst historically PP in the league and no one is moving on, lol

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Rangers miss the playoffs on the bubble, show very good progress and they fire their GM, President and head coach.

Ducks have missed the playoffs the last 3 seasons, finished 2nd to last in the league, with the worst goal scoring in the league, and on top of that, the worst historically PP in the league and no one is moving on, lol
It’s a different ballgame coaching/managing in a small market team with limited media coverage

Reactions: Leonardo87

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

I love what the Samuelis have done for the most part and I generally like my owners to be hands-off, but at some point, you have to take some sort of action. Even if there are positive signs of growth (and there are with the young players), the team has regressed in the standings for three consecutive seasons.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Samuelis are far too patient. They’ve been running the franchise 16 years and have never fired a GM and have only fired three coaches - two of which they held onto for at least a year after they should have been let go.

Loyalty is great and all but at some point there needs to be accountability for poor performance. Instead they’re going to reward Murray’s poor performance by letting him finish out his contract and then he gets a promotion upstairs.

This team needs a fresh voice and needs to cut ties with the current regime. So frustrating to be a fan right now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Still, historically bad numbers lol.
I'd be frustrated if I was the NYR owner. They were my pick for making the playoffs out of the rebuilding teams. So much elite potential from Kakko, Lafrienre to guys who already are elite like Fox, Zib and Panarin as well as an high end 2C in Strome who would be the best Center on Anaheim if Strome was here. Then some high potential prospects like K Andre Miller too and their future in net looks great

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd be frustrated if I was the NYR owner. They were my pick for making the playoffs out of the rebuilding teams. So much elite potential from Kakko, Lafrienre to guys who already are elite like Fox, Zib and Panarin as well as an high end 2C in Strome who would be the best Center on Anaheim if Strome was here. Then some high potential prospects like K Andre Miller too and their future in net looks great

Ducks need Eichel much more than the Rangers do. Lol.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The Samuelis are far too patient. They’ve been running the franchise 16 years and have never fired a GM and have only fired three coaches - two of which they held onto for at least a year after they should have been let go.

Loyalty is great and all but at some point there needs to be accountability for poor performance. Instead they’re going to reward Murray’s poor performance by letting him finish out his contract and then he gets a promotion upstairs.

This team needs a fresh voice and needs to cut ties with the current regime. So frustrating to be a fan right now.
Since the Samuelis bought the team, the Ducks have the 6th most standings points and 6th best win-percentage (discounting Vegas), 5th most playoff wins, 8th most playoff games, and only a few teams have made the playoffs more than the Ducks in that span. It's been a hugely successful run. BM's a hall of fame GM. His mistakes, even the big ones, don't come close to outweighing what he's done here.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Since the Samuelis bought the team, the Ducks have the 6th most standings points and 6th best win-percentage (discounting Vegas), 5th most playoff wins, 8th most playoff games, and only a few teams have made the playoffs more than the Ducks in that span. It's been a hugely successful run. BM's a hall of fame GM. His mistakes, even the big ones, don't come close to outweighing what he's done here.
And with less resources at his disposal than the teams ahead of us in any of those categories.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I can’t really fault murray for our 3 franchise players getting old. I wouldn’t even be opposed to keeping bob as gm. It’s early but our rebuild looks like it’s tracking better than other franchise who have more hype behind their rebuilds

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

It has been a good run but that run is long over. Since the Carlyle re-hire Murray has consistently made bad moves and the last three years have been pretty brutal to watch as a fan.

Every coach and GM has a shelf life. Murray has had his time year and between 2013 and 2017 in particular it was a good run. But 2017 was a long time ago to justify keeping him here.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
And with less resources at his disposal than the teams ahead of us in any of those categories.

I understand that it’s apples and oranges with buyouts and LTIR (plus a proactive move to get a couple assets to take the Backes contract), but there is nothing that drives me more crazy than the fact that the franchise is spending to the cap now, when the Ducks were a budget team when they were legitimate Stanley Cup contenders

Reactions: Static

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It has been a good run but that run is long over. Since the Carlyle re-hire Murray has consistently made bad moves and the last three years have been pretty brutal to watch as a fan.

Every coach and GM has a shelf life. Murray has had his time year and between 2013 and 2017 in particular it was a good run. But 2017 was a long time ago to justify keeping him here.
I think you’re both right here

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Will add that a lot of the above was accomplished with an internal budget, spending a few million less than some teams in quite a few of those years.

I don't foresee a scenario where we see BM fired this off season. He is probably nearing an age where both himself and the Samueli's soon see him transitioning to a less hands on role. Whether that means retaining the Exec VP role or something similar, he'll likely stay on as a bridge between the FO and ownership in some capacity, continuing to be one of their most trusted advisors. Likely even is part of the process of choosing his successor for the GM role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad