Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kings being outshot by Colorado 21-8, losing 5-0

Sharks being outshot 30-8 by Vegas, losing 4-0

give the Ducks and Eakins credit for the way they fought down the stretch. Brutal season but they didn’t roll over like that and take it once they were out of i

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
183374339_4127499230662702_5792767047530002041_n.png

Always liked Bennett, but it didn't made sense to trade for him at this point for that price. But man, he's rocking hard in Florida right now.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
183374339_4127499230662702_5792767047530002041_n.png

Always liked Bennett, but it didn't made sense to trade for him at this point for that price. But man, he's rocking hard in Florida right now.

It was weird how Mr. 19-year-old seemed to regress every year he spent with the Flames.

I'll hold my breath on if he's actually turned things around.

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
3x 30p d-men for Colorado

Avs have 3 defensemen this year scoring at least 30 points.
Red Wings have zero players this year with 30 points.

Crazy how good the avs D core is, and they have Byram coming up.

2 of those guys they got in trades
Colorado are scary good. They still have a ton of prospects that haven't even hit the NHL yet either and they're already at a high level. I'd be surprised if they don't have another Cup or two in the next five years.

Reactions: Kalv

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
3x 30p d-men for Colorado

Avs have 3 defensemen this year scoring at least 30 points.
Red Wings have zero players this year with 30 points.

Crazy how good the avs D core is, and they have Byram coming up.

2 of those guys they got in trades

Thanks to Max Comtois for ensuring we were not a part of this ignominy.

Feels like whoever wins the Colorado/Vegas series is gonna win it all this year. Absolute bloodbath, cannot wait for it

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Thanks to Max Comtois for ensuring we were not a part of this ignominy.

Feels like whoever wins the Colorado/Vegas series this year is gonna win it all. Absolute bloodbath, cannot wait for it
Yikes @ Detroit. Its interesting to point out but Detroit had 11 players 30 or older on their 20-21 team, actually 12 if you include the traded Bobby Ryan.
Anaheim has had only 8 players this year at 30+ and that includes Agozzino who played only 3 games.
Anaheim had 2 teenagers and Detroit had zero teenagers on their roster.

It feels like Detroit has had Veleno as a prospect for 10 years and he finally made his debut.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Looks like the Avs are going to take the Presidents trophy and they get rewarded with a much healthier, better looking (and more physical) Blues team to play in rd 1. Still think they win that series but I think Vegas gets the much better deal going against Minny.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
Looks like the Avs are going to take the Presidents trophy and they get rewarded with a much healthier, better looking (and more physical) Blues team to play in rd 1. Still think they win that series but I think Vegas gets the much better deal going against Minny.

Minnesota did take 5 from 8 in the regular season from Vegas and most of the games were tight. Obvious x-factor is how Kaprizov acclimates to his first foray into playoff hockey, but I think it’s got the potential to be a real good series.

EDIT: Though I agree, Colorado needs to finish the Blues in 5. Deeper it goes, the more the Avs run the risk of being worn down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Regarding Eichel:

Buffalo really tanked that year in hopes to get McDavid. They didn't win the lottery but ended up with Eichel anyway.
Few years forward, they didn't climb out of losing culture and now Eichel wants out, and he's not the only one :)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It has been a good run but that run is long over. Since the Carlyle re-hire Murray has consistently made bad moves and the last three years have been pretty brutal to watch as a fan.

Every coach and GM has a shelf life. Murray has had his time year and between 2013 and 2017 in particular it was a good run. But 2017 was a long time ago to justify keeping him here.
I think people are sleeping on the idea that there is a plan that has been communicated to the owners and that it's working more or less as intended. Part of that I think is the misconception that the only reason you'd ever sign an expensive UFA is to make the playoffs. Meaning, he's not failing at anything since 2017. I wouldn't even be surprised if the rebuild is ahead of schedule thanks to Covid and guys like Zegras, Drysdale, and Perreault being a year or more further along than anticipated.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I think people are sleeping on the idea that there is a plan that has been communicated to the owners and that it's working more or less as intended. Part of that I think is the misconception that the only reason you'd ever sign an expensive UFA is to make the playoffs. Meaning, he's not failing at anything since 2017. I wouldn't even be surprised if the rebuild is ahead of schedule thanks to Covid and guys like Zegras, Drysdale, and Perreault being a year or more further along than anticipated.

That's a good way of looking at it. Maybe the COVID-19 impacts on the hockey season will work in the Ducks favor like the 2004-05 lockout-shortened season did by giving Teemu an extra year to get his knee fixed and rehabbed and for Getzlaf and Perry mature for a year after their draft year.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Yeah I think a lot of people have their own idea of what a rebuild looks like and anything else just isn't one to them. It is funny though that other rebuilding teams have mostly done the same things but I guess people are just too close to the painting on this one.

I also definitely think this rebuild is a bit ahead of schedule. Detroit started theirs exactly two years ahead of us, right down to the draft positions(until this year) and it feels like we're a lot closer to being good again. I dunno, maybe that's just one bad example.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
"Me and 'Kopi,' 'Quickie,' 'Brownie,' we're all getting older," Doughty said. "We all had, I thought, phenomenal seasons, but we're running out of time. You've got two of the best players at their position (Kopitar and Doughty), both ways, two of the most complete players at the position. And with all this [NHL salary] cap room, yeah, we've got to bring guys in. That's it, for sure. There's no point just waiting for these prospects to develop when you've got guys in their prime, guys that are hungry to win and guys that are sick of losing so, yeah, we've got to bring guys in."
Doughty is 31 years old, Kopitar is 33, Quick is 35 and Brown is 36.

I'm glad we don't have players saying stupid shit like this in public.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Doughty is pretty full of himself if he still thinks he’s one of the best at his position. He’s been garbage 2 out of the last 3 years, this year he had somewhat of a bounce back but he wasn’t close to being one of the best dmen in the league.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It has been a good run but that run is long over. Since the Carlyle re-hire Murray has consistently made bad moves and the last three years have been pretty brutal to watch as a fan.

Every coach and GM has a shelf life. Murray has had his time year and between 2013 and 2017 in particular it was a good run. But 2017 was a long time ago to justify keeping him here.

Part of the equation that we went to the Western Conference finals in 2017 was due to a healthy Kesler and trade deadline Patrick Eaves. In the regular season of 2016-17, our top three scorers were Getz with 73 pts, Kesler with 58pts, and Perry with 53 points. Eaves produced 14 points in 20 games. Kesler signed a six-year extension in 2016-17 season. Eaves signed a three-year extension for the 2017-18. Both Kelser and Eaves fell off the medical truck in 2017-18, but the team managed to sneak into the '17-18 playoffs. Perry fell off the cliff in 2018-19 and so did our playoff appearance.

With his top players failing to injuries and capped strapped the team, GM Murray probably gave the Samueli's the heads up in 2018-19 knowing that Kelser and Eaves were no longer an option as well as moving on from Perry. Our center situation was dire to start the 2018 season as we were forced to start 18-year old Lundestrom and 20-year old Steel. We were rewarded with the 9th overall pick in 2019. 2019-20 was a straight youth movement push. The org denied it, but it was evident in their actions to play so many youths at one time. Fortunately, the blue line got hit hard with injuries and derailed us into 6th overall in 2019-20. Similarly for 2020-21, our blue line dropped us to the bottom.

We are probably ahead of schedule with the youth movement. @The Midnight Burrito mentioned the progress of Drysdale, Zegras, and Perreault has the plan further along than expected. Tack on the late blossoming of Fleury and the youth movement is looking better. Going into this off-season, the Ducks will have cap space to play with to acquire two top-6 players or one top-line forward.

Anaheim had come close in acquiring D Faulk in the 2019 off-season. In the following draft, GM Murray opted to draft Drysdale 6th overall than any of the available talented forwards. He knew he wanted defense with that top pick, just like he knew he wanted a center win the 2019 draft. Earlier in this season, the Ducks fell short in acquiring center PLD. The moral of the story is that if you want top end talent, then you're simply going to have to draft them. Anaheim still possesses a plethora of futures outside of Zegras and Drysdale as it was identified in the PLD trade. That's the core of Murray's strength, a strong system can net you NHL players or draft picks. That's how Murray was able to acquire Kesler and Rico. That's how Murray almost acquired D Faulk. That's how Murray acquired D Fleury. G Andersen netted us draft picks, first round Steel in 2016 and Comtois in 2017 second round. D Montour netted us a first round pick in Tracey in 2019. F Kase (and Backes' contract) helped secure first round pick Perreault in 2020.

tl;dr version

Moving on from the Twins era is a magnanimous task. Anaheim has been in rebuild mode for the past two seasons (the youth movement push). Rebuilds are often brutal to watch.

The last three years have been capped strapped and limits what the org can do. Kelser, Eaves, Perry, and Backes' contracts are what limited what the Ducks could do. Yet, the PLD trade attempt actually validated GM Murray's tactic to the owners. Anaheim was using only futures that didn't include Zegras and Drysdale; they were one of the three finalists for PLD. Zegras and Drysdale were rated as top-3 prospects in the league as well as probably NHL mainstays from now on. Throw in the blossoming Comtois, TLD Fleury, and Lundy to the mix, then the future is already looking like it is here. With cap space and lots of futures that can be used as trade bait now, it appears GM Murray has a long game that many don't want to consider or accept.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Part of the equation that we went to the Western Conference finals in 2017 was due to a healthy Kesler and trade deadline Patrick Eaves. In the regular season of 2016-17, our top three scorers were Getz with 73 pts, Kesler with 58pts, and Perry with 53 points. Eaves produced 14 points in 20 games. Kesler signed a six-year extension in 2016-17 season. Eaves signed a three-year extension for the 2017-18. Both Kelser and Eaves fell off the medical truck in 2017-18, but the team managed to sneak into the '17-18 playoffs. Perry fell off the cliff in 2018-19 and so did our playoff appearance.

With his top players failing to injuries and capped strapped the team, GM Murray probably gave the Samueli's the heads up in 2018-19 knowing that Kelser and Eaves were no longer an option as well as moving on from Perry. Our center situation was dire to start the 2018 season as we were forced to start 18-year old Lundestrom and 20-year old Steel. We were rewarded with the 9th overall pick in 2019. 2019-20 was a straight youth movement push. The org denied it, but it was evident in their actions to play so many youths at one time. Fortunately, the blue line got hit hard with injuries and derailed us into 6th overall in 2019-20. Similarly for 2020-21, our blue line dropped us to the bottom.

We are probably ahead of schedule with the youth movement. @The Midnight Burrito mentioned the progress of Drysdale, Zegras, and Perreault has the plan further along than expected. Tack on the late blossoming of Fleury and the youth movement is looking better. Going into this off-season, the Ducks will have cap space to play with to acquire two top-6 players or one top-line forward.

Anaheim had come close in acquiring D Faulk in the 2019 off-season. In the following draft, GM Murray opted to draft Drysdale 6th overall than any of the available talented forwards. He knew he wanted defense with that top pick, just like he knew he wanted a center win the 2019 draft. Earlier in this season, the Ducks fell short in acquiring center PLD. The moral of the story is that if you want top end talent, then you're simply going to have to draft them. Anaheim still possesses a plethora of futures outside of Zegras and Drysdale as it was identified in the PLD trade. That's the core of Murray's strength, a strong system can net you NHL players or draft picks. That's how Murray was able to acquire Kesler and Rico. That's how Murray almost acquired D Faulk. That's how Murray acquired D Fleury. G Andersen netted us draft picks, first round Steel in 2016 and Comtois in 2017 second round. D Montour netted us a first round pick in Tracey in 2019. F Kase (and Backes' contract) helped secure first round pick Perreault in 2020.

tl;dr version

Moving on from the Twins era is a magnanimous task. Anaheim has been in rebuild mode for the past two seasons (the youth movement push). Rebuilds are often brutal to watch.

The last three years have been capped strapped and limits what the org can do. Kelser, Eaves, Perry, and Backes' contracts are what limited what the Ducks could do. Yet, the PLD trade attempt actually validated GM Murray's tactic to the owners. Anaheim was using only futures that didn't include Zegras and Drysdale; they were one of the three finalists for PLD. Zegras and Drysdale were rated as top-3 prospects in the league as well as probably NHL mainstays from now on. Throw in the blossoming Comtois, TLD Fleury, and Lundy to the mix, then the future is already looking like it is here. With cap space and lots of futures that can be used as trade bait now, it appears GM Murray has a long game that many don't want to consider or accept.
You might want to look up magnanimous.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
Of course of the core four, it’s Doughty who is going public with it. Such an asshole.

But the thing is that from what I’ve seen, it’s actually not impossible. Kings’ management seems like a group that bends to the will of their players beyond a fault, I would like nothing more than for Anschultz and RoBlaketaille to cave and decimate their rebuild to become a fully-capped out mediocre unit that wins 2 playoff games a year but can’t compete for a championship again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad