Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's funny looking back at it since most people thought Vegas did a poor job with the draft in the moment. And as I mentioned, even if they weren't exempt it's not like their exposed guys are irreplaceable. Fleury's had a nice season but we're only a few months removed from Vegas wanting to dump him for salary cap flexibility.

Oh for sure. I remember alot of writers gave Vegas a pass as they plan was to take guys with low term who they could trade at the deadline for picks/prospects. That team surprised everyone including their GM.
Bottom line is Vegas not being exempt would not hurt them as bad as other clubs.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Petro will be back for the Knights tonight....perfect.

Anyone else think it is BS that they are exempt from the ED?

It's because they are a young franchise. They may be exempt from the ED now, but wait until they get older.

Reactions: Maynard

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's because they are a young franchise. They may be exempt from the ED now, but wait until they get older.

I know why, but makes no sense given how good Vegas has been and the type of players that would be exposed. Give them an extra exemption spot sure, but otherwise I don't get it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Does the league give McDavid 1 game for the late hit to the head with the elbow like they did with Doughty's shoulder-to-head hit on Carrier?

Should of given him one game. He went out of his way to get the elbow up, that could of been brutal. Pretty selfish act on his part.

Not like he hasn’t been suspended previous.

Imagine if that was Tom Wilson or Tkachuk, jeebus, pitchforks would be out.

Reactions: kingsboy11

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Pretty sure when the Sens and Lightning came into the league, the Sharks had to expose players and they had just completed their inaugural season. Different rules back then.

Those were some bad expansion teams back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
So Demko gets a new deal reported at 5-years, $25 million. Canucks fan singing the praises of their GM Jim Benning.

I must be missing something here as they now have 2 goalies tied up long term at a combined $10+ million.

The goalie market isn’t really strong trade wise and with Holtby’s lacklustre play it’s going to be difficult to move him, I would assume. Even if they ask Seattle to take him you would figure there would be a premium to be paid that Francis would require.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So Demko gets a new deal reported at 5-years, $25 million. Canucks fan singing the praises of their GM Jim Benning.

I must be missing something here as they now have 2 goalies tied up long term at a combined $10+ million.

The goalie market isn’t really strong trade wise and with Holtby’s lacklustre play it’s going to be difficult to move him, I would assume. Even if they ask Seattle to take him you would figure there would be a premium to be paid that Francis would require.
Benning is an awful GM

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Vegas also doesn't get any of the expansion franchise fee Seattle paid the league. given the flat cap and no fans in seats for the bulk of the season, I think vegas may be regretting giving up that cash.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
curious scratches in Philly, both Patrick and Lindblom scratched.

Not to AV...

The fact he has Gustafsson in the lineup over Ghost is just another reason he needs to be fired.

At least Patrick and Lindblom have talent, their replacements are 4th liners
Connor Bunnaman Carsen Twarynski...

Looks like his changes are working, Sabres up 4-1

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
With Demko getting a pretty big extension and York signing, maybe one of them can become the first true star player from Southern CA. There are a few younger guys coming along, but so many of the SoCal prospects the last dozen years or so have fizzled out.

Reactions: ru4reals

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With Demko getting a pretty big extension and York signing, maybe one of them can become the first true star player from Southern CA. There are a few younger guys coming along, but so many of the SoCal prospects the last dozen years or so have fizzled out.

Ah yes, I remember so many salivating over Emerson Etem and Beau Bennett in 2010. What a couple of duds they turned out to be.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Really haven't had a good solid player come out of So Cal in the history of the NHL as far as I can remember. You look at guys like Blum, Nieto and as mentioned by Ziggy, Etem, Bennett. I'm probably missing someone but I don't think there will be one for awhile just not enough kids playing and the sport is just too damn expensive. Hoping one day we'll have a guy like Matthews who's from AZ representing So Cal but certainly doesn't look like it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Really haven't had a good solid player come out of So Cal in the history of the NHL as far as I can remember. You look at guys like Blum, Nieto and as mentioned by Ziggy, Etem, Bennett. I'm probably missing someone but I don't think there will be one for awhile just not enough kids playing and the sport is just too damn expensive. Hoping one day we'll have a guy like Matthews who's from AZ representing So Cal but certainly doesn't look like it.

I don't understand it.

Phoenix has a superstar in Matthews
Dallas has a star in Jones

Even places like Vegas (Zucker) and South Florida (Ghostisbere) have produced a higher end player.

There has been a ton of team success in minor hockey with teams from SoCal but none of the individual players can get over the hump to be anything more than depth players in the NHL. Hopefully this next wave with York, Johnson and Brisson can produce a star.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I don't understand it.

Phoenix has a superstar in Matthews
Dallas has a star in Jones

Even places like Vegas (Zucker) and South Florida (Ghostisbere) have produced a higher end player.

There has been a ton of team success in minor hockey with teams from SoCal but none of the individual players can get over the hump to be anything more than depth players in the NHL. Hopefully this next wave with York, Johnson and Brisson can produce a star.

York was born in Anaheim Hills if I'm correct but did he play in So Cal and develop here before going to the USNTDP? Or was he just born here and moved away somewhere to play his youth hockey? Me personally I don't really consider him a So Cal kid if his birthplace was the only thing that associates him with Southern California. Just a thought. But I agree pretty strange considering there have been some good SoCal minor teams. But York, Johnson and Brisson are very promising prospects so we shall see.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Bobby Ryan wasn't born here, but he did live in El Segundo and play youth hockey for the L.A. Jr. Kings before getting drafted by the CHL.

Reactions: ru4reals
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad